I hate eating out!

Options
2»

Replies

• mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out but the crowds and traffic and parking lends me to cooking at home.

When I do go out though, I order veggies and protein, no carbs such as potatoes, rice, bread, no dessert (ok, maybe a spoonful of someone elses). I estimate the portions.

At Chipolte, I asked how much their spoons were an equivalent to... it helped me estimate the calorie value (no cheese, no sour cream, guac and salsa only).
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan! Look up restaurant and decide what you are going to eat while you are at home. Pass up the bread prior to your meal Calories add up very quickly when wating out. Can you get some exercise on the day of eatibg? No alcohol when eatin out. Drink only water when eating out. eating. Keep the meal simple.."Meat, vegatable, salad." Salad dressing on the side.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Most places I eat out at don't post nutritional information. I tend to just make my best guess and not worry too much - I don't eat out often enough for it to be a problem! I order something I'll enjoy and make the most of it, none of this "must have salad" malarky (if they even serve salad!), and if they have a nice looking drink I'll have it (I don't drink, interesting non alcoholic drinks are sadly few and far between :( ). I also make sure to eat slowly and stop when I've stopped feeling hungry instead of when I feel stuffed. I often end up skipping breakfast the next day too if I'm not hungry.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Most of the times when I do eat out, I try and eat something I want. My diet at home is very basic and I have chicken, potatoes and vegetables with an egg every evening so I can guarantee I am mostly not going to have the same sort of meal if I get to eat out. I tend to bank all my calories for evening eating window anyway so can usually fit in pizza, pasta or something else and a dessert if I so desire.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    All of the components are in the MFP food database. It is not going to be completely accurate because the Chipotle employees are just hand adding or quickly scooping the ingredients in, but it is probably close enough. (If I am home I weigh the guacamole (get it on the side) and the chips)

xygbqz83ki7s.png
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Eating out, for me, just means that I plan ahead (usually by seeing the menu online if possible beforehand), and sometimes there is nothing on the menu that I can or will eat. We eat out often. I find something and just do the best I can with logging. I can also eyeball the portion and eat what I know is about the right amount. For me, eating out is a pain because of all the salt restaurants use. It's usually a few pound gain and uncomfortable to boot for the next few days. I have taken to saying "no salt, please" but they can only really ask the chef to not put EXTRA salt on before serving. Salt is the biggest issue for me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Try living in the UK where nowhere publishes their calories! I am always widely guessing when I eat out.

I live in the UK, plenty of places give nutritional information...

This. Plus all caloric information is based off averages so you never truly know what's what.

In my opinion, the best way is to overestimate calories when you eat out to be sure you're in a deficit.