No ALcohol

Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    When I knew I had to lose weight, I made the decision to consume less alcohol (although not stop entirely), so I had a rule where if I had work the next day, then I would not drink the day before. Of course, that just meant I went nuts come the weekend, but eventually, it just sorta ended up weaning me off alcohol entirely. I certainly didn't mean for it to happen that way, but January will mark two years of sobriety, and to be honest, I don't actually miss it.

Good for you!! Thats awesome!!! I am hoping to do the same..

Good luck...it certainly gets a lot easier, especially as you're already two months in! This time of year can be hard, what with various office parties and family get-togethers coming along, but I found that letting people know that I wasn't drinking helped to keep me honest, and helped prevent relentless offers of drinks when they would see me empty-handed!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I cant drink due to a health issue. I used to have a few drinks once in awhile. but I see it as a good thing as my mom is an alcoholic and dont want to follow down that path anyway(not saying I would but )
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't not drink, I just don't drink very often. I can't justify the calorie or monetary expense... I do enjoy nice wine with a good meal though, and celebrating special occasions with something (usually bubbles)
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Do you know about first-pass metabolism?

Before alcohol reaches the blood stream, it goes through the stomach, where so-called gastric alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) isozymes break some of it down. Women have less of this ADH activity than men do. Accordingly, women have a lesser first-pass metabolism.

Why do I know this? Turns out the amount of ADH varies in all people, just as a matter of our genetics. Some people, who have a lot, can drink a lot before suffering drunkenness effects. Others, not so much. ADH can also decline as you age. Those of us with low ADH already, can end up with almost zero, later in life.

I cant even drink one glass of wine with out suffering as if I went out on an all night drinking binge. I have not had a drink in over two years. I sure want a Chocolate Martini ! :)
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I don't not drink, I just don't drink very often. I can't justify the calorie or monetary expense... I do enjoy nice wine with a good meal though, and celebrating special occasions with something (usually bubbles)

Exactly. Thats what I am going to do..
  • marygraci999
    Options
    When I knew I had to lose weight, I made the decision to consume less alcohol (although not stop entirely), so I had a rule where if I had work the next day, then I would not drink the day before. Of course, that just meant I went nuts come the weekend, but eventually, it just sorta ended up weaning me off alcohol entirely. I certainly didn't mean for it to happen that way, but January will mark two years of sobriety, and to be honest, I don't actually miss it.

Good luck...it certainly gets a lot easier, especially as you're already two months in! This time of year can be hard, what with various office parties and family get-togethers coming along, but I found that letting people know that I wasn't drinking helped to keep me honest, and helped prevent relentless offers of drinks when they would see me empty-handed!

Thanks.. I just think of how many empty calories they are and It turns me off..
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Gosh yes! I haven't had a drink in years.

I loved Pina colada and stuff, but it just wasn't worth it, feeling heavy and slow the day after.

I can feel a bit sad sometimes, cutting drinks out all together, but it's easier to have done a decition once for all than thinking back and forth every time there are drinks on the menu
  • Henrymich123
    Henrymich123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had too pints of stout today and went over my calorie goal. But blast it, il be good tomorrow
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am about a week away from 5 months. It wasn't just for weight loss. In fact it wasn't even for weight loss, really, but it helps. A lot. Not only because of the calories in the drinks but also because I got hungry for things like a big plate of corn chips with cheese melted all over them. I hope I am done with alcohol, done with being fat and done with making excuses.

Good for you!! How much weight have you lost so far.. I am down 20 pounds

37 pounds. Not completely healthy; some of it was untracked, just cutting way back. When I got on here and started tracking I found I was cutting way too much out. For a health reason, I am doing very low starch and I don't eat mammal meat. So most of my protein sources are lean and I don't eat bread/pasta/rice/potatoes. I have to eat a lot of fruit and tree nuts to get a healthy calorie level. I am going to re-introduce some starches. Starch can make my inflammation worse due to a blood antigen (HLA-B27) and an autoimmune response to gut bacteria that thrives on starch. I can have some, just not a bunch at once.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm from Denmark, we don't really do "no alcohol". I get a few beers here and there, and every now and then I go for a proper night out with live music and beers. If I didn't have my party nights and festivals, I'd go crazy.

I'm from California and I just work my alcohol calories into my overall calorie count!
  • CarvedTones
    edited November 2017
    Options

I just tell them I don't drink, but I probably should because I am really good at it...
  • formerranger
    formerranger Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a self recovering alcoholic. After desert storm and the loss of my father I dove deep in the alcohol. That was 1991. 25 years later I decided to quit self destruction and get back into shape. I really started back in April this year. I have gone from 12=15 beers a day to maybe 12 a week, this week was only 5. Long journey, but 35 lbs of fat lost and the muscles are beginning to show. Friends from 30 years are starting to comment that I am getting back to the guy they new in high school. I want to get back to contest shape like I was last time in 1987. Will not quit drinking, I like beer. Just very limited in my future
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately with CICO I would rather eat it than drink it.
    In all honesty I drink for the buzz and I would need more than 1 drink for that buzz so why get started.
    Also....when drinking, munching follows.
    The last thing I need is to start getting the drinker " puffer fish red face".
    Well those are my cons with no pros in sight :|
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    StatsGuy99 wrote: »
    I have only one or two drinks per week (if I have calories to spare). My wife recently requested that I brew a new batch of beer for her birthday. I'm planning to give all of it away after her party to get it out of the house as quickly as possible.

I home brewed beer for about 10 years, beginning in 2003. Learned a lot about brewing and flavors and how to make better tasting beer. Took some sensory training and got certified as a beer judge. That was the good part.

It was way too easy to drink lots of calories (and of course, I preferred the higher calorie beers) when there are kegs of beer in the refrigerator. One of the reasons I'm here now, working on getting back to a healthy weight. I still indulge occasionally but generally drink spirits when I do.

I like your "give away the beer" plan. Just avoid the temptation altogether. I gave away plenty when I was brewing, but not enough, obviously. :)

• marygraci999
    Options
    I am a self recovering alcoholic. After desert storm and the loss of my father I dove deep in the alcohol. That was 1991. 25 years later I decided to quit self destruction and get back into shape. I really started back in April this year. I have gone from 12=15 beers a day to maybe 12 a week, this week was only 5. Long journey, but 35 lbs of fat lost and the muscles are beginning to show. Friends from 30 years are starting to comment that I am getting back to the guy they new in high school. I want to get back to contest shape like I was last time in 1987. Will not quit drinking, I like beer. Just very limited in my future

I hear ya.. I will still have a couple on special occasions seeing I love beer as well..
  • marygraci999
    Options

Also Thank you for your service and may God Bless you!!!
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    150 days! I quit for more reasons than weight loss.
  • marygraci999
    Options
    150 days! I quit for more reasons than weight loss.

Me as well.. I couldnt control my social drinking and it was affecting my marriage so I gave it up.. Havent had a drink since september.. It doesnt bother me at all seeing I only drank when I went out or in a social setting..
  • Spidricks
    Spidricks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep, 26 months now. I was partly inspired by my cousin who gave up alcohol 14 years ago. I feel much better for it, and I am coping with baby induced sleepless nights much better than I did with the last one!
  • marygraci999
    Options
    Spidricks wrote: »
    Yep, 26 months now. I was partly inspired by my cousin who gave up alcohol 14 years ago. I feel much better for it, and I am coping with baby induced sleepless nights much better than I did with the last one!

Good for you!! Its just empty calories anyways and no hangovers!!!