Weight gain due to medications

This past month I started two medications. (Not going to go into what they are.) Almost immediately I put on a few pounds and went over my scream weight. I also became uncomfortably constipated. (TMI, I know!) It made no sense to me that this happened because nothing had changed for me in my diet or calories or exercise. I finally consulted my wonderful pharmacist, who told me each med could have these side effects but that luckily, my body would adjust and they would go away. In the meantime, I plan to keep on doing what I am doing, but drink more water, up my fiber, and hope it means exactly what she says. Just wondering if anyone else has had these issues due to meds and what you did about it?

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited November 2017
    Pretty much what your pharmacist recommended. You might want to add in fiber slowly if you don't each much already. Everything should balance out in a few weeks while your body gets used to the meds, but talk to your doctor if they don't.

Light walking and yoga help as well.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    I'm on a medication that messes with my metabolism. Unfortunately, my body won't adjust- and this is the 3rd med I've been on in the last 4 years, and they've all made me gain weight (33 lb). My doctor decreased my dose very slightly, but basically, I have to go with diet and exercise. It's harder for me to lose than the average person, but I'm determined. I, too, have gone over my scream weight. After 2 weeks here, I've lost 2.6 lb. I'm eating in deficit and exercising daily, and tracking everything I eat. I think I've finally found a way to drop this weight.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I went through this when I went off my meds. Definitely medications affect us. As for the constipation... try magnesium. It really helps. I was using a lot of tums when I kicked my stomach meds and had the same issue. I hate using laxatives so used magnesium. 150 mg. To start. If that doesn’t do it you can increase.
  • SarahR2412
    SarahR2412 Posts: 86 Member
    Keep doing what your doing and in time your body will adjust xx it takes time. I’ve today hit my target and now got to learn maintenance! Bit scary if I’m honest but I know I can do it!! Stay strong x
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Water retention and poop adds to your weight but not your fat. Your meds did not make you gain fat unless they increased your appetite and you ate more.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    If the benefits outweigh the cost, then carry on. Give it time, see if the meds give you the effects you were looking for, and if the gaining levels off. Log your food. Most meds cause weight gain by increasing the appetite. Are you hungrier than normal?

Did you start both at the same time? Unless the need is urgent/dangerous, it's very strongly recommended to space the process out. Otherwise, you don't know what's helping, and what's causing problem side effects.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    I went through this when I went off my meds. Definitely medications affect us. As for the constipation... try magnesium. It really helps. I was using a lot of tums when I kicked my stomach meds and had the same issue. I hate using laxatives so used magnesium. 150 mg. To start. If that doesn’t do it you can increase.

I also use magnesium citrate tablets. I swear by them. They are great!
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Hi, all. I thought I replied to this but maybe I never posted it? In any case, thanks for all your suggestions. I like the idea of magnesium citrate and will try that. Just to answer a few questions: nope, appetite has not increased and since I still log, over the past 15 days, since the weight gain, I have only gone over my maintenance calories about 3 times. And never more than about 300 calories, so I know that I haven't done this by eating. All exercise is the same or even more. I agree that water and poop can cause weight but not fat. My clothes fit exactly the same as they always do. This is a 3 lb. gain, which doesn't sound like much, but I am only 5'0" and it's a lot for my size. Also, I have never gone above my scream weight for this long. So naturally I worried.
  • lukilton
    lukilton Posts: 9 Member
    I had been taking a common high blood pressure medication for several years. It was not lowering my blood pressure as much as it did when I started, but my doctor didn't seem to consider it a problem, so neither did I. In January of last year, I suddenly developed a serious cough, and chalked it up to respiratory issues, primarily asthma. But it got worse, and worse, and soon I couldn't walk twenty feet without feeling like I had to rest for ten minutes to catch my breath. Then, I gained twenty pounds in two weeks, my legs swelled up terribly, as well as my belly--to the point where I couldn't drive anymore, because I couldn't get behind the steering wheel. After four months of this, feeling like I was going to die any day, one doctor asked about my medications. At that time, I also began hearing that this particular BP medication was commonly known to cause these problems. My doctor promptly. put me on a new one, and almost immediately I felt better, the water retention went away, the cough stopped and I dropped 25 pounds! To say the least, I was VERY angry at how this all unfolded. Particularly, since I had to postpone my initial bariatric surgery and was being seen by four different doctors to get prepared for surgery. And then to find out this particular medication is known to have some very serious side effects was just the frosting on the cake. But all of that aside, I am now, not one who thinks you should wait it out. That of course is up to you, And if you trust your doctor with that advice, then that should be your decision. However, I would not give it very long of an "adjustment" period before checking with your doctor again. Not only did that bout put my surgery in jeopardy, it messed with my diabetes, which in turn affected my kidneys. When a medication affects you in that way--check it out. There are too many options out there to take a chance with your health.
  • pippadeedee
    pippadeedee Posts: 6 Member
    Hi, I will try the magnesium. I have stomach meds and wheat intolerance. I often feel bloated but water and loads of it. Be careful as some fibre is not healthy.
  • jrwms714
    Oh dear, @lukilton, that's a terrible story. I hope you are doing well now. I keep a really good eye on most meds and rarely take them unless seriously needed. Even keeping a close eye, things like what you went through do happen, so thank you for telling your story and giving advice. FYI for you and everyone else: It has been about a month and things are beginning to get better. I also went back to my weight logbook and saw that this time of year, for the past 3 years I regularly do go over my scream weight for a bit and then have to rein things in and eat at a deficit to get back to maintenance. So I feel much better, physically and psychologically. I know what has to be done and I am pretty sure the meds are done with their evil, temporary work. The rest is now up to me.
  • lorrpb
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    Hi, all. I thought I replied to this but maybe I never posted it? In any case, thanks for all your suggestions. I like the idea of magnesium citrate and will try that. Just to answer a few questions: nope, appetite has not increased and since I still log, over the past 15 days, since the weight gain, I have only gone over my maintenance calories about 3 times. And never more than about 300 calories, so I know that I haven't done this by eating. All exercise is the same or even more. I agree that water and poop can cause weight but not fat. My clothes fit exactly the same as they always do. This is a 3 lb. gain, which doesn't sound like much, but I am only 5'0" and it's a lot for my size. Also, I have never gone above my scream weight for this long. So naturally I worried.

If you know you haven't gone over calories then you know it's water weight from medication. Water is not fat. It's hard to see the numbers, but rely on the facts of your nutrition, your plan, and the process. I find fluctuations much more noticeable in maintenance because they're not off set by ongoing fat weight loss as happens in the losing phase. I've had a tough time with water fluctuations this month due to stress and a few other factors. At the same time I continue to see fat loss in my middle portion from recomp. You always have the option of dealing reading 100-200 cals per day as a precaution.

Have you by chance changed up you workouts during g the past month? That can lead to water retention too.
  • elliebath52
    elliebath52 Posts: 13 Member
    Ive just experienced the same effect after a back injury that required strong pain relief, codeine and diazapam. Was alarmed to gain weight even though I lost my appetite, ate less than my maitenance calories, and felt drowsy so slept more.
    In 8 days i gained 5 lbs , well over my happy weight. I was also constipated from the meds. I have scales that show water percentage which rose to 59%.
    It is now two weeks further on I am now recovering from the injury, taking fewer meds, and the pounds have dropped by 3 and water is 54%.
  • jrwms714
    Haven't changed any of my workout routine, so that might not be what it is. I thought (above) that things were improving, and the weight was coming off, but today another lb. added to the mix. I did eat out last night and salt from restaurants always puts weight on me, but I am 2 lbs. above my scream weight and now almost 4 above my maintenance range. Constipation on and off from meds, and water retention from last night, probably. Still, this is almost a month of this. If I continue to steadily gain, I can get off the the one med that would cause that because they are meds I can make do without. There is nothing essential about them at all. And I would be in no medical danger by doing so. I don't have a scale that tells me about water percentage, but I try on my wedding ring and when it's tight, it tells me that's what is going on. Well, it's sure tight this morning. But another thing: what is the brand of scale you use that tells water percentage??? I am really wanting to get one of those. Never heard of them before, and I retain often. Anyone?
  • lorrpb
    The body fat scales which is what they’re talking about, are completely unreliable. Are you aware that Your body is about 60% water on a normal day?
  • jrwms714
    Yes, very aware of that. And I wondered about that reliability. Seems to me that just seeing how my rings fit is a good judge of if I am retaining water. In any case, I believe that salt is one of the causes for this weight gain. Thanksgiving dinner for me was breast of the turkey and roasted vegetables. Then I found out that the cook at the house had BRINED the turkey for 24 hours and salted the veggies. Both my DH and I were unbelievably thirsty all night and even he feels bloated to day. The other cause may be one of the meds and I plan to talk to the doctor next week to determine how to handle the one I need and how to wean off the one I really can well without.