my top half already looks muscly and i haven't been doing it long

Options
I don't want to get much bigger on top :-O just the bottom half :)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    8ezh1z32zwg1.gif
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It's very, very, very hard for girls to gain a lot of muscle that quickly. We don't have the testosterone like boys do. All those muscle-y girls you see on Instagram and such? It's taken them YEARS and a very specific diet to get that way.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves has a lower body only program. I ran it for a while (yes, I was also scared to get "too big "at one point). Now my upper body is very small compared to my lower body. I do have some regrets since now I am trying to make up for it! But if that is what you want you can look into it. Or you can work upper body and not add progressive overload.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    So train at maintenance volume (less) for the muscles you're happy with, and higher (more) for the muscles you want to grow..?

I'm personally on team #neverenough though.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Ok.......
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    pma1982 wrote: »
    I think because I'm that tiny any chance is noticeable. When I lifted the barbell above my head I noticed the change. My shoulders and arms have loads more definition

When you are in the middle of lifting your muscles are working and they look different when relaxed.. that is normal. I will do lateral raises and think "yes look how great they look" then once I stop and take a photo it's gone. :D

To add to this, when you do resistance training, your muscles pull in water...this is called "pump"...it isn't the actual muscle getting bigger.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I think because I'm that tiny any chance is noticeable. When I lifted the barbell above my head I noticed the change. My shoulders and arms have loads more definition

When you are in the middle of lifting your muscles are working and they look different when relaxed.. that is normal. I will do lateral raises and think "yes look how great they look" then once I stop and take a photo it's gone. :D

To add to this, when you do resistance training, your muscles pull in water...this is called "pump"...it isn't the actual muscle getting bigger.

I wish it were, my arms are looking nice today.
  • pma1982
    pma1982 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    OK cool. I rarely wear vest tops so wearing one today and noticing the change in gym had me believing I probably had bigger muscles than I actually do. I'm definitely stronger than I was and my form is good. Enjoying the journey :)
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Train your legs first and your upper body last in your workout.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not just because you're eating less than you burn and you have less fat, so your pre-existing muscles are more visible?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not just because you're eating less than you burn and you have less fat, so your pre-existing muscles are more visible?

I was going to say the same. Probably a combination of being slightly leaner, having low BF on upper body and pump. I have very, very low levels of BF on my torso, so my muscles are much more visible there compared to my lower body (where they never are). Like someone else suggested, if you don't like the look, don't train them as hard. But don't stop as its good for your bones/retaining muscle mass.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    In general people who see their muscles contracted through training think it's new muscle when it's just a new experience.

Keep up with your training and understand it does take hard work to achieve hypertrophy of the muscular system and isn't noticable under a short time frame.
  • pma1982
    pma1982 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Can I ask some macros advice. Whats the highest fat allowance someone could get away with. I'm only like. 50 k.g and 5 ft 2. I don't drink alcohol so foods my life lol. I have struggled keeping fat allowance low. Dark chocolate and peanut butter are my top culprits. I could substitute nut butter with pb fit but dark chocolate not as eaay . I don't have a lot of time to bake my own stuff easier which sometimes goes against me
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Any fat allowance is ok, just don't push out your protein.
    Look at getting .35-.45g fat and .8-1g protein per lbs of lean body mass- carbs fill out the rest.

Cheers, h.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Can I ask some macros advice. Whats the highest fat allowance someone could get away with. I'm only like. 50 k.g and 5 ft 2. I don't drink alcohol so foods my life lol. I have struggled keeping fat allowance low. Dark chocolate and peanut butter are my top culprits. I could substitute nut butter with pb fit but dark chocolate not as eaay . I don't have a lot of time to bake my own stuff easier which sometimes goes against me

Protien =1g per lb of BW as a catch all. Less might be sufficient depending on how manly, advanced age, LBM, how carnivorous, etc...you are.

Fat =.4×BW

Carb= Filler and might want more if energy is low or bulking.