Veggies for Breakfast

aerosolo
aerosolo Posts: 15 Member
Looking to expand my breakfast options with more vegetables. Other than strongly disliking tomatoes, I'm pretty flexible. Thanks for the ideas!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I eat raw carrots, broccoli, snap peas, kohlrabi, rutabaga, beets, cucumber.

Nice to meet a fellow tomato hater! Hi! (I eat tomato paste, though. Just can't handle the pieces. Urgh!)
  • biscayne724
    biscayne724 Posts: 1 Member
    I fry 2 egg whites in low calorie bread with the center cut out of the bread. Put the egg whites in the center and fry on both sides. Top with chopped arugula.
  • aerosolo
    Nice to meet a fellow tomato hater! Hi! (I eat tomato paste, though. Just can't handle the pieces. Urgh!)

I've never been able to stand the smell of prepared tomatoes. I got really good at cheese and wine sauces! Also, red bell pepper is a pretty good substitute.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    I like to stir canned pumpkin into my oatmeal with some fall spices. It's a vitamin A powerhouse.

I used to saute mushrooms, onions, garlic, and spinach in a pan and top with a poached or fried egg. Now I scramble it with tofu, turmeric, nutritional yeast and a little almond milk.

I use half of a leftover baked potato and dice it and fry it up in a little canola oil with a diced bell pepper and diced onions.

What about a spinach pesto on toast? You can make it without oil and cheese if you wish.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I'd go with eggs (omelettes or frittata are great for adding vegies to).

I fancy up baked beans by cooking mushrooms, zucchini, capsicum, onion etc with spices (paprika, cumin, coriander, plus garlic) before adding the beans. You could serve with toast/muffin, on a potato, with eggs etc.

I add zucchini or pumpkin to my protein pancakes. Ive also tried zoats (zucchini oats) which werent bad (and I'm not generally an oat fan)

Then there's dinner leftovers - think outside the breakfast box, you can really eat what you like!
  • serahtoms
    serahtoms Posts: 20 Member
    I usually eat an avocado toast with Balsamic sautéed mushrooms. Takes me 10 mins tops to prepare. Mash up an avocado and add a dash of dried oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spread this on toast and top it with fried egg.
    It's really filling and also avocado is good for weight loss. You can add any veggies like red peppers or zucchini to the sautéed mushrooms if you'd like to :)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I like onions, peppers, and garlic with fried potatoes anything.

• aerosolo
    Then there's dinner leftovers - think outside the breakfast box, you can really eat what you like!

I've been learning to make extra side dish portions. Tomorrow I'm planning on left over roasted Brussels sprouts with a Sriracha aioli.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Definitely in the egg and veggie scramble camp. I use any that I have including zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, onion (and the dreaded tomato if I grow it myself). Sautee the veggies in a little coconut or olive oil until tender-crisp, add some greens like spinach or arugula for just a minute or so. Throw in a whole egg and a couple egg whites and scramble away. I cook the extra yolks separately and put in my dog's kibble once or twice a week. They <3 me!

I often top with salsa and a little reduced fat feta cheese and eat with a corn tortilla. Breakfast taco!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Omelet, savory oats. Or just ignore breakfast stereotypes and eat whatever.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    I like to add spinach and black beans to my eggs. Or leftover peppers and onions from fajitas.

I'll roast huge pans of mixed veggies (brussel sprouts, radishes, peppers, onions, squash) and heat the leftovers for breakfast in the morning with eggs or a slice of ham/sausage, etc.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Roasted Brussels, broccoli, onion, and red potatoes (smallish dice on the potatoes so they're done roasting at the same time as the other veggies). Top with an egg, and maybe a sprinkle of Parmesan or feta. This is a really hearty meal, and keeps me full for a long time - especially if I add some ham or spicy chicken sausage.

Spring greens/spinach/arugula/frise, radish - top with a drizzle of oil, lemon juice, and a soft-boiled egg or two. Add some bacon crumbles if you can.

Fritattas are easy, and can take any vegetable you throw at it. I make them a lot to use up any leftover veggies that didn't make it into other meals - peppers, greens, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms. They keep well for two or three days too, so you can have multiple breakfasts.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    I make a roasted vegetable (zucchini, red peppers, spinach, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower and leeks) and egg casserole, sometimes just egg whites and other times whole eggs. I top that with shredded chicken and kimchi.
  • aerosolo
    Spicy Chipotle-Orange Squash did really well with some breakfast sausage patties.

Ingredients

1 small acorn squash (2 lbs)
    1/4 water
    2 Tbs butter, melted
    1 tsp grated orange peel (1 small navel orange)
    3 Tbs fresh orange juice (from navel orange above)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely chopped

MOP:
    1) Cut squash into halves, remove seeds and membranes. Pout water into slow cooker. Place squash halves in cut sides up.

2) In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; pour into squash halves.

3) Cover and cook on High 3 to 4 hours. Cut squash in half (quarters) to serve.

Credit Betty Crocker Big Book of Slow Cooker, Casseroles and More.

MFP gotcha - weigh the squash! Serving sizes can vary dramatically.
  • daisywillwin
    daisywillwin Posts: 5 Member
    You can throw different veggies in with scrambled eggs, my favourite being tomatoes but if there not to your liking give courgette a go :)
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    I slice up some onions, mushrooms and spinach and put it in a breakfast sandwich. I have also done tomato and zucchini, peppers, spinach and feta cheese. There are lots of great ways to incorporate veggies.
  • aerosolo
    You can throw different veggies in with scrambled eggs, my favourite being tomatoes but if there not to your liking give courgette a go :)

I'm not familiar with courgette. Can you describe it?