Almost there...

Hi everyone! Soooooo this is exciting, I am almost at my goal weight of 120 lbs! I am 5’2, starting weight was 171lbs. It has been one heck of a ride and for the first time in my life, I am actually proud of how hard I have worked to be healthy and fit. So my question is, how did it feel for you to eat more calories after going on maintenance? Ever feel guilty? If there is anyone around my height, what was your calorie limit for maintenance? Thanks guys!

Replies

• geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    You have a right to be proud and happy! Congratulations ! Now time for the long journey of maintenance. It's not easy. I only added about 100 calories for maintenance and it doesn't feel like I'm eating much more. What saves me is eating back the exercise calories. Especially bike rides. You get many calories for cycling and it really helps. Good luck.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    how did it feel for you to eat more calories after going on maintenance?
    Loved it - I like eating good food.

Ever feel guilty?
    I feel slightly ashamed or more accurately disappointed in myself that I ate too much when I was fat but see no reason to feel guilty about eating the right amount of food now that I'm not.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't think I've ever felt guilty for eating, or I have, but I call it "greedy"? Anyway, it dawned on me that when I eat just what I need, I'm not greedy. "What I need" is simply "enough food/calories to keep a normal weight stable". I have had exectly that, for the longest time in my life - three years, now.

That feeling of pride and accomplishment after losing weight has in retrospect been a predictor for not being able to keep the weight off afterwards. Quite the contrary - I felt, when using MFP, like weight loss and "lifestyle change" was a pretty mundane, bordering boring, thing, not the struggle and confetti I was used to. I just ate and moved in a way I liked and could see myself happily keep up forever. So the transition to maintenance was almost inperceptible; I could loosen up a bit on the intake, but I still had to be vigilant, and I started to weigh myself daily. It felt great, but a bit scary, to stop tracking calories; it was exciting, and I have messed up more times than I can remember, but I seem to be able to sort it out every time. It's so good for my confidence, general wellbeing, energy. I think that's what they mean by "health".
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Congrats :smiley:

I am your height, 48yrs, my weight ranges in maintenance from 125-129lbs. I average 1950 calories a day now. I am lightly active, average around 8k steps (a guess as I no longer use a tracker), cycle 30 mins a day and lift a couple of times a week).
    If I was a bit more sedentary I would maintain on 1600 calories.

No guilt here :smile: , I loved getting extra calories, would eat even more only I would gain obviously!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Hi, congratulations on your weight loss! I'm 33 5'2" and maintain my weight from 114-117. I would say I'm moderately active: about 10k steps a day, cardio 2x a week, and resistance training 4x a week. I eat around 1800-1900 cals plus a treat meal once a week that's not included in those calories.