Weekly Post - 20.11.2017 - 26.11.2017

Options
Meghan509
Meghan509 Posts: 1,957 Member
Good morning all.

Here is the new weekly thread.
Be back shortly with a new post and a recipe that I made last night for dinner, that you might enjoy.

Happy Monday! :smiley:

Replies

• Meghan509
    Options
    Hello all.

Hope everybody is well. For those of you celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday this week, hope you are all prepped and ready to go.

I was lucky that I only had to go to two stores to find my Yukon Gold potatoes! They were sold out in the first store I went to. In the grocery store the nice man in the produce section searched high and low and came back with one of the last bags for me. *phew*

This is the first week on a Monday that I am not fasting, since the week of Monday, May 8. That is a long time. Feels a little strange but enjoying a bit of a break. Still been going to the gym and doing my new schedule of three days weights and three days cardio. Tonight will be weights again. Ouch my legs. LOL Have not really been logging / counting calories but have been mindfull.

Last night I made this nice little recipe for us for dinner. My modifications were taking out the ricotta, as I don't know how she got that calorie count with it included! Also subbed some fresh kale for the spinach. I put in a tad more since it is good for us and really zero calories added. Farfalle vs. ziti as that was what I had open. Came out awesome!
    I sprinkled a small amount of shredded mozzarella on top towards the end of cooking and when eating a small amount of parmesean. Very tasty and simple. Four large servings. Came in around 300 or so, little more with cheese on it.

https://www.feastingathome.com/no-boil-mushroom-baked-ziti/

Have a great day and I'll check back again soon. :)
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Morning, all! School is out this week! Woo hoo! I have a house to clean and winterize... not woo hoo! LOL
    I forgot to weigh in yesterday, so I hopped on this morning, I am up a little, but I am pretty sure it is mostly water weight.
    I booked a record number of steps last week! Like an extra 2,000! I ended up at almost 13 miles for about 1,000 calories burned. And that is just during the school day, doesn't count my trips to Wal-Mart and walks with the dog.
    I hope everyone has a great week! Happy fasting or feasting!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    @Meghan509 Glad you got your potatoes! Potatoes are the one reason I hesitate to try Dr Mosley’s blood sugar diet. Not only do I love them but anytime I have satiety issues I know I can eat a potato and I’m full and happy (full without feeling heavy or bloated). I don’t need butter or oil, a microwaved potato with garlic pepper will do nicely. I eat potatoes just about every Five day and miss them on my light days. Actually, now that I think about it I have eliminated almost every other starch from my diet (rice, pasta, bread) because if I had to choose, I would always choose the potatoes.

@KateNkognito Enjoy the time off school! Fantastic on the steps!!

I had planned to fast yesterday because, yeah Thanksgiving, but I plain ol forgot!! So yeah, back to back light days today and tomorrow. I thought about today and Wednesday- but I’m going to be doing food prep Wednesday an I doubt I’d be able to stick to 500 cals.

I’ve been searching for a WEEKLY calorie app, but haven’t found one, does anyone know of one? Something that tells me how many calories remaining in my weekly allotment (and ideally lets me enter exercise cals as well)? A spreadsheet on my iPhone just isn’t making the usability cut.

I got my vitamin D supplements from Amazon yesterday (I know, on a Sunday!) - I don’t think I need them here in Texas in the warmer months, but now that the days are so short I think I probably do need them.

I host Christmas this year, so I think I’m going to decorate this weekend- so I have the whole month to enjoy. We will have 4 teenage nieces in the house, LOL - and I love hosting. My husband will do a roast and he will get flustered, cranky, and stressed in the kitchen in the last cooking hour, but otherwise the day is usually just a joy. It is rare to have my SiL and her husband and 3 girls in addition to my MiL, BiL and his two girls all together for Xmas- the house will be full!

So, I wish everybody a happy week, and most especially a happy holiday if appropriate.

Cin Cin a tutti (an Italian toast roughly meaning “Cheers, y’all”)

Rye
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I've got to be quick because I have to clean a few things up at work, then head out of here. One of my kids had school today and tomorrow anyway, but the other was supposed to have the week off (meaning I'd stay home and get to sleep past 5:15AM). Because of Hurricane Irma, they had a make-up day already that was supposed to be a day off, and they added today and tomorrow to the calendar. Still better than last year, which took a day away from Christmas break and added two days on to the end of the year because of Hurricane Matthew. (The hurricanes can stop, too. That would be nice.)

Anyway, I totally forgot yesterday that I was supposed to make it a light day and then do maybe Wednesday because I wouldn't be doing a light day on Thursday. So I made today a light day, and even though I'm busy, I'm hating it. I don't know why it's so hard today. Usually Monday or Tuesday light days aren't bad. I'm just going to try to suck it up for the rest of the day and that way I won't feel so bad if I overdo it a little on Thanksgiving.

As for groceries, I placed my order yesterday to pick up tomorrow afternoon. I wanted to get my preferred time slot before all the time slots filled up. I'm sure it'll still be crazy, but anyway... I ordered my pecan pie for Thanksgiving Day (that's all I've got to bring - yay!) plus another pecan pie and a pumpkin pie for us for when we cook for ourselves (we make ham rather than turkey) on Friday. God help me if the store runs out because I placed my order over 48 hours in advance - they better reserve those pies for me!!!

I hope that all of you who are celebrating have an awesome Thanksgiving and don't fret about fasting or not fasting or whatever, and of course to those who are not celebrating Thanksgiving this week, I hope you have a great week!
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    @ryenday Check out the Nutrition tab here on MFP. It has how many calories you have left for the week. I find it very useful. :smile:
  • ryenday
    Options
    @KateNkognito thanks a million! I never noticed the week view on the nutrition page before! That is a big help!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi gals!

@ryenday I know what you mean about potatoes. I love them too and we really don't eat them much at all. I put them in one of my light day soups but that is pretty much it. If I had to pick from the starches I probably am mostly a pasta girl. Sigh... Give me a nice big bowl with some kind of sauce on top (Indian, Asian, Italian, etc.) and I am good to go. I also like rice. Can even do brown rice no problem. Cauli rice is good and we eat that a lot too. I do eat bread on regular days, but we buy the sprouted kind that is low in calorie and full of whole grains, etc. Trader Joe's makes a good one that competes with the well known Ezekiel brand. That one is good too. I guess I am a fan of the everything in moderation type of eating. With a few exceptions, as most of the protein I eat is poultry, fish, or beans. I try to eat very little red meat, pork, and bacon and that's just for health reasons. A low calorie WOE is tough when you add in a lot of carbs - as we know they are not that calorie friendly LOL.

Sounds like a it is a crazy but fun week for Thanksgiving holiday peeps! Lots of cleaning, planning, cooking, shopping, etc.! Good luck to the fasters today!

Quiet here at the office, as a lot of people have started their vacations. Not complaining!
    I am still figuring out when to make my pecan pies, mashed potatoes, and green beans! (Probably Wednesday when I am off). And I am getting off easy by us going over to friends for Turkey Day. :p LOL

Wowser, thank you for that weekly calorie view - never knew that either - huge help especially when there are holidays, work functions, meals out, etc. involved that you want to plan ahead for. GOOD TO KNOW! :o

I am thinking (crazy talk here) that maybe will try and sneak over to Costco after the gym tonight to grab some coffee and odds and ends while the sale is still on through Wednesday. Hopefully it is not a pre-Turkey Day Mad House! :#

Have a good one and see you guys soon!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Wow! All this talk about shopping makes me a bit nervous! I haven't started my Thanksgiving food shopping yet so I am a bit concerned about what I will be up against. Been a different year. Not making the transitions a quick as I like anymore. Hoping it is the reduction in calories making me a tiny bit slower. :smile:

Doing well this week. Surprised by a 1.8lb loss last Friday. Will be 5:2ing it until Wednesday (including my exercise), do a weigh-in Thursday morning then give myself a break until Monday. So looking forward to having a holiday from my scale.

I am still catching up on the posts from last week. My vitamins are Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc for strong bones and a more regular digestive system (Magnesium), Fish Oil for the heart, Vit D to aid the calcium, B Complex to give me a boost of energy (have no idea if it really works) and a probiotic to help with the germies my son brings home from school (that does work!).

Saw your post last week, @Meghan509, about the lack of weight loss. Just want to encourage you that it most likely is due to adding strength training. Muscles weigh more than fat and also burn more than fat. I am sure you will see the scale budge in a couple of weeks and then, hopefully, your muscles will bless you with a consistent loss. Glad you are taking a break. You can relax this week knowing you have already done A LOT of great work on your health this year.
  • ryenday
    Options
    I don’t usually pre-log, it makes me feel boxed in and unsatisfied. Bus thanks to @KateNkognito pointing out the weekly info available on the nutrition page I did this time.

I created a food “holiday”. 3500 cals and a serving is “1 day”. That is now logged for Thursday. It motivates me to keep today a light day and will help me stay on the straight and narrow until ‘normalcy’ returns next week.

Feeling good! Passed up on the nut party tray at work yesterday ( yummmm but I just don’t have enough calories to eat nuts). And got my strength workout in yesterday too! Will probably have a ‘heavy’ light day today as I felt the need for some extra protein today so will likely clock in at 600 not 500 calories.

To keep the extra protein at minimum calories, I mixed 1/2 a serving of protein powder (vanilla) with cold coffee. Then I mix that in with my normal black coffee. So it was like a treat but only 40 cal and 10 g of protein.

The scale the last two weeks has been stuck on the same 2 pounds up-and-down. I’m not getting bent out of shape on it because I am assuming it is the weight training holding on and using water to repair/build muscle. i’m just going to stay the course through the 2017 year. Lose or not lose. Unless I gain I’m not going to reset anything until 2018.

Hope everybody has a wonderful day!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Today started out rather frustrating... Driving to work and felt a strange feeling in the car. Low tire pressure light comes on. Pulled over before I got on the highway since I wasn't sure if it was the cooler temps causing the light to come on or if it was indeed a low tire. Pulled in to a gas station that had free air. It kills me that they CHARGE you for air at some stations! Realized that my rear passenger side tire was indeed pretty darn low. Managed to refill it and see that a lovely screw was imbedded in the middle of the treads. This is a new car with less than 3,000 miles sigh... Turned around and headed back to our local Mom and Pop Tire guy. I drove on the main road and slowly. They took me right away. Pulled the tire off and were able to put a plug in it. Seems to be okay now. Some how I managed to get all the alerts on the dashboard to turn off. Darn modern technology can be so frustrating. LOL The good thing is the office is quiet this week due to the Holiday on Thursday. Stinks. But at least the car is fine, nobody got hurt and all is back up and running. Just not the way I typically like to start my AM. :(

Thanks @jknight001 I apprecaiate your insight on my weight for future! And thank you for your kind words... After my little diet refresh I am going to keep that in mind for future weeks. I think I also might "toy" with my calorie levels a little more and eat more at my TDEE some non Light Days and then lower some days and then do the typical Light Days. Try and keep my body always guessing and try and not get bored. Maybe do the TDEE level on days I am doing weights (except for one of those days is a Light Day) so need to keep thinking about that.
    Good luck with your shopping! You will be fine. I planned ahead because I want to get the cooking done ahead of time (tomorrow)!
    Funny how we take a lot of the same supplements around here. LOL

@ryenday I like your planning strategy of putting everything in for Thursday! I have sort of mentally done that. Yesterday and today I am eating my usual lunch and a light dinner. Keeping it low key and honestly lower than my maintenence level calls for. So I guess I am doing that too. Wednesday I am off of work but I plan on eating a light lunch again. For dinner we are going out, but that won't be a high day either. Going to the gym tonight and tomorrow too. Good luck with the rest of your week - you can do it! We got this!

I have to say I am liking my new gym routine of upper and lower body weights and abs every other day! I have pretty much gotten it to where I can get it done in around 30 - 35 minutes, which then gives me time for a short walk afterwards. I like that mix and with the walk added for a quick heart rate increase really feel like I am doing a little more. The weights don't really make me break much of a sweat which I don't like, but my muscles are sore and I have been able to increase the weight as I have gone along. I find the weights a work in progress because with some things I find I seem to be increasing each time to feel I am getting a decent work out i.e., legs. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and start too high and not be able to walk. :worried:

We managed to run in to Costco last night and I got the fish oil I wanted. Started taking that right away. So another new supplement for me. Woo hoo! It actually was not too busy after the gym last night, which was surprising. I think we timed it well with the pre-Thanksgiving rush!

Have a good one and I'll see you all soon! :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Ahoy people! Having a cup of plain hot water and a mandarin while I catch up on reading here!! Enjoy your Thanksgiving day/weekend everyone! It sounds like everyone has their dinners organized! @jknight I do the same... shop last minute.. somehow the hussle bussle of it all is exciting to me! :D

Vitamins? Well maybe I need to add more after reading what others take! I just take calcium chewies (cause I’m all about candy like things and can’t swallow those huge pills) and Lutien for eye health (scared of macular disease) and sometimes a vitamin E for skin and just because it’s in the cupboard.... hmm, not sure I really know much about vitamins... note to self.. read up on vitamins!!

I have not been logging this past week! Argh... a little too busy. I find too that I use this site while on my phone because logging foods is way easier to do here rather than on my computer... but all this typing here is killing my left thumb!!

Off to get another mandarin!
    Happy fasting to those trying today...
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Arrgh! I have tried to post 2 different times and it hasn't worked!

Yesterday I cleaned ALL the windows in our house, inside and out! What a workout!

@jknight001 Congrats on the loss! B complex helps with serotonin production and lots of other hormone goodness.

@ryenday You are on a roll! I have done something like that, but after a really bad day. :/

@Meghan509 Sorry about the tire! What a way to start the day! Glad you are doing well with your new workout routine.

@mamainthekitchen Happy fasting!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Greatfulness makes you think of all you have and appreciate that you have the option to do with out. Plus, there is the mashed potatoes and stuffing. :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Now you all have got me looking into supplements and vitamins again. I used to put MCT oil in my coffee and also took a multivitamin as well as a calcium + D3 vitamin. I should probably get back on those for good measure as well as look into what you all take! I really liked the MCT oil in my coffee, too. I also have magnesium citrate tablets that I used when I would occasionally get, um, backed up, but I haven't had that issue for quite a while. When I'm putting MCT in my coffee, that is DEFINITELY not an issue!

@Meghan509 I'm glad you were able to fix your flat quickly and get to work! I love those mom and pop places, too. We have a small, local tire chain that is great and will usually fix your flat quickly and for free. But definitely not a good way to start your day.

Last summer, we were leaving the marina (we've got a small, used, 20-yr-old boat that we cruise around on, and since we don't have a car that tows it, the marina it is), and someone in front of us was towing their boat out from the nearby boat launch. They must have left a wrench on their boat because it flew out of the back of the boat and landed on the road in front of us. I didn't have enough time to avoid it, so I ran it over, and it punctured my tire. I have run flat tires so was able to pull into a parking lot safely, but my tire deflated in about 90 seconds. AAA came out, put on the spare, and we drove the few miles to Costco to get a new tire. I paid for a new tire, and they took the punctured tire off (with wrench sticking out) only to discover that the wrench had also punctured the rim! $800 and a few days later I had a new rim and tire from the dealership :'( Suffice it to say that I have paid the tire gods enough for at least the next few years.

mknrpra4p7sq.jpg

Anyway, I'm done with story time ;) I will be heading out shortly to get the kids and then pick up groceries. They had everything in my order, so yay! I also added buttermilk to my order this morning so that I can make cornbread. I have made this cornbread every Thanksgiving and Christmas (and occasionally on other random days) for probably 8 or 9 years. It is sweet and cakey, like a quickbread, sort of like what you get at Boston Market, which is important because we don't have Boston Market here :( ) It is also pretty foolproof if you are not all that good in the kitchen: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/76594/grandmothers-buttermilk-cornbread/
  • ryenday
    Options
    @RBXChas No Boston Market! I would be very sad! We only go there every month or two, but I always buy a rotisserie chicken and a Boston Carver sandwich. That sandwich is so good that even on a diet I’ve been known to eat the bread and don’t always discard it!

I know what you mean about their cornbread. My mother-in-law makes a corn bread that has none of the sweet taste. That is what she makes her cornbread stuffing out of that will have the families full approval this Thanksgiving. I,however, don’t like cornbread stuffing and don’t like cornbread without that extra sweet punch that the Boston market cornbread has. I’d love to try yours!

Today I will be making roasted carrot soup to bring to our Thanksgiving feast tomorrow. Every year I make a vegetarian dish to bring for my vegetarian niece. Every year she smiles and tries it and doesn’t like it. How is it possible to be a vegetarian and not like onions? I have learned all my vegetarian dishes have onions in them. So we’re trying roasted carrot soup even though she only likes raw carrots. I may give this tradition up. Does far I have resisted any recipes that I myself would not eat. But I’m coming to the end of the rope of things that I might eat that are vegetarian that she therefore might eat.

I will be also making my family famous fudge. It is very easy quick fudge recipe. But I’m the only one whoever makes it. The family loves it though and it is a required bring two for any holiday gathering. Tomorrow morning I’ll make the dish I really want – mashed Chipotle sweet potatoes. (Yes, it is vegetarian. No, my niece does not like it.). This is pretty easy to make, and uses a fraction of the butter and none of the milk that regular mashed potatoes use - so it turns out to be a diet friendly, very filling holiday dish.

While I’ve saved a ton of calories for Thanksgiving, most of those calories will not be for the dinner. I actually do not care for most of the Thanksgiving traditional foods. BUT there are always snacks and desserts galore, and even though dessert is rarely my thing, these desserts are usually only presented at Thanksgiving and I will need to have at least a sliver taste of each one. My dinner Will be a tiny portion of turkey (I don’t really care for Turkey), some roasted tomato soup, some roasted carrot soup, my mashed Chipotle sweet potatoes and a twice baked russet potato. The green bean casserole, cranberries, corn bread stuffing, bread rolls, gravy and pumpkin purée dish are not my thing, so I’ll pass. lol- that sounds like a crazy amount of food but that is for 10 adults and three teenagers!

Yesterday’s light day was challenging at times. I think I have figured out I don’t want to do back to back fast days. I was so very hungry yesterday evening. But, that is over until next Tuesday! Time to just try to eat somewhat sensibly for four days. And to eat well, but not to sickness tomorrow - lol.

Thanksgiving will be at my sister-in-law‘s place. They have a trampoline in their backyard. If the weather holds, I plan to sneak out there and get in a trampoline workout! I have not had the pleasure of just jumping and going crazy on a trampoline for at least 35 years. But since I’ve been working out I think I can have safely play in it tomorrow. Maybe I’ll ask my husband to get some pictures of it!

I hope you all have a wonderful day and for many of you I know it will be filled with wonderful cooking smells! Enjoy!

Cin Cin a tutti!

• Meghan509
    Options
    Hi all!
    Thanks for your nice posts re: my tire! All seems to be fine and no issues with the plug. Also happy it was close to home, or not on Turkey day, etc.!
    OMG @RBXChas that is awful what happened to you and your tire story. $800... :'( sigh... no fun!
    Hope you are doing well today. I have been pretty productive LOL. Went to the gym and got a nice strength training workout in as well as some cardio. Cooked my mashed potatoes, green beans, and two pecan pies. :)
    Tomorrow we have to be at our friend's house for 1pm for the holiday. Will take tomorrow off at the gym and will go on Friday.
    Have a good one and in case I don't get in here tomorrow AM - Happy Thankgiving to the US peeps. <3
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Happy thanksgiving to all my American friends!!! Enjoy your holiday and ryenday.... your post was sooo funny about your niece!! Lol!!! I love hearing about all the food traditions from y’all :p
    Cornbread & green bean casserole and the pecan pie are American dishes... we serve Brussel sprouts, mashed turnip& carrot, good old peas, and cranberry sauce , plus a sage flavored bread style stuffing... then pumpkin pie! Although pecan pies are sold already made in the stores, I don’t know anyone who buys them! Traditions! It’s what we grew up with right? I’d like to know what ryenday’s niece brings... or what she does eat? She sounds a lot like my daughter... the closet vegetarian who likes a roast beef dinner!!

I’ve tried to log everything today which is good. Didn’t really have a fast day today but a pretty low day. I’m gearing up to fast tomorrow! Yup, on your thanksgiving! Oh well, I had my turkey dinner back in October!!! So I can wait until Christmas for another one. Speaking of that, our stores have gone full speed ahead with the decorations already!!! Not sure whether I’m happy about that or not! I usually wait until dec 1st!
    I’ve logged 11000 steps today! Such a nice day out!

Happy thanksgiving !!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note to say how thankful I am for all of you! <3 You have made this hard journey a lot easier. And to my U.S. friends a very Happy Thanksgiving. Let us all be thankful for the hard work we have done. Enjoy your day!
  • ryenday
    Options
    Giving thanks for the support and friendship I have found here: hoping everyone has a wonderful day! Holiday or no!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Agree with the others who have said it... Feeling thankful for having all of you with me on this journey! <3
    Hope those that were celebrating Thanksgiving had a nice one! We sure did. I did not eat too too much, which was good! The food I made turned out nice and they liked my pecan pie. Makes me happy!

Been enjoying this diet refresh time, but looking forward to getting back and doing a fast day on Monday. :)
    Planning out the grocery list. Changing up light day lunch for the week which is cool. Doing a dinner that we make often since I have the potatoes still on hand.

Off to the gym again today! Yesterday's cardio felt pretty nice after Thursday's feast LOL. Today is weights.
    Have a great day and see you all soon! :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    I’m up real late here, can’t sleep as I just got back from my high school reunion!! 40 years! Omg.... anyway these last two days were spent shopping for a new outfit so I was barely home to eat! Woohoo two fast days in the bag, actually I was under too! So now I am hungry but hoping I’ll drift off soon and just have a normal day tomorrow....

Meghan I don’t know where I read it but an article I read recently stated that it is very good for your system to take a break once in a while... so good for you for trying this. It will sure be interesting to hear how your body reacts!

Hope everyone enjoyed their thanksgiving with families & friends! That pecan pie sounded very yummy!

Cheers