1st big goal reached. 50 pounds lost, but shadowed by hamstring injury. Need ideas!

Options
wifey826
wifey826 Posts: 26 Member
Well, I lost my first 50 pounds as of this morning! However, my tears of "joy" were probably from the pain I've been feeling all night and morning from straining my hamstring yesterday.

Since I'm off the exercise bandwagon for a while, does anyone have any tips to keep my weight loss on track this week and the next? This is my first big holiday since I started losing, and was looking forward to the long weekend and having some kind of fitness-related family time. I'm worried that without the exercise I'm used to getting, I will see a gain big enough to discourage me. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• emilynelson58
    emilynelson58 Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Weight loss/gain is not all or even mostly about exercise. It's about nutrition so just keep a sharper eye on calories goals and it should be okay. You could also try floor ab or arm exercises that leave out the legs of you really want to keep the habit. You could try hasfit or fitness blender strength videos on YouTube if you wanted to do that.
  • Jettaska
    Jettaska Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great achievement, 50 pounds! Swimming might be the best option with the pain in your hamstring. You could try if biking works too.
  • Zeuggma
    Zeuggma Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Monitor your food more closely and let yourself rest. If you push yourself before you've recovered, you'll be out longer than if you just took the time to rest. It's hard! But it's still worth it. You could also be more mindful about taking more walks during the day if it doesn't hurt your hamstring.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any running for two weeks. Just by sticking with eating according to MFP my weight fluctuates just a pound up or down. Don't worry, your body needs the break! I've read that when your body is repairing an injury you might retain more water weight. That'll disappear, too, so don't stress about it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories than usual.
  • wifey826
    Options
    I haven't done any running for two weeks. Just by sticking with eating according to MFP my weight fluctuates just a pound up or down. Don't worry, your body needs the break! I've read that when your body is repairing an injury you might retain more water weight. That'll disappear, too, so don't stress about it.

Thank you for this...ive definitely put on water this week and i was shocked!
  • wifey826
    Options
    Weight loss/gain is not all or even mostly about exercise. It's about nutrition so just keep a sharper eye on calories goals and it should be okay. You could also try floor ab or arm exercises that leave out the legs of you really want to keep the habit. You could try hasfit or fitness blender strength videos on YouTube if you wanted to do that.

Great ideas! I've been trying to search exercise that doesnt involve the legs and im getting a mixed bag. But all in all, i haven't done terrible this week and ive been watching my intake more carefully. Thank you for your reply!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look on YouTube for upper body weights or upper body aerobics.
    Also look for chair exercises.
    "chair exercises for women"

If something is painful of course, don't do it.
    Sending healing vibes. <3
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Well first congrats on the milestone. Do you have a gym or anything to workout your upper body?

If not then rest that injury and cut them calories back some. The one thing I love about hitting the gym is, it increases my calories I can eat back. Win win if you ask me although I do not always eat all the calories back.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!