What’s the worst thing your mother in law has done/said?

Replies

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    My MIL lives 6500 miles away and doesn't speak English.

This sounds like a dream come true.

You just have to shop around. My perfect woman is a mute.....
  • ellesussex2017
    ellesussex2017 Posts: 21 Member
    edited November 2017
    Mine is a love, she lives a 7 hour drive from us and she adores me! Great combo. My mother on the other hand, let me pour you a glass of wine and tell you a wee story..
  • FAAB_too
    FAAB_too Posts: 67 Member
    Omg...dont get me started!!! LMAO
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    My ex MIL and her mother screamed at me that my first daughter was going to hell because I didn’t want her baptized... she had just died a few hours earlier.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    I'm in the MIL's a peach, own mother is the nasty one club.

@_Deadman_Walking_ : Wow. Just... wow. I'm so sorry. For your loss, and that horrendous abuse.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Mine is a love, she lives a 7 hour drive from us and she adores me! Great combo. My mother on the other hand, let me pour you a glass of wine and tell you a wee story..

Oh dear......I see a night full of nightmares :o:|
  • PAFC84
    My ex MIL and her mother screamed at me that my first daughter was going to hell because I didn’t want her baptized... she had just died a few hours earlier.

I'm sorry for your loss.
  • WillBeThin86
    WillBeThin86 Posts: 135 Member
    My MIL told me that my SO would never marry me 4 years into our relationship. We married 2 years later and she's no longer in our lives.
  • PAFC84
    kace_kay wrote: »

Wow... that's so awful of them. When my cousin passed away, one of my aunts said the same thing since she wasn't baptized.
    I'm not religious so I don't get it but what would compel someone to ever say that?

Could be a number of things

1. The need to be right, in their own mind, is more important than respecting the moment

2. Maybe rather than grieving in a healthy manner they went on the attack, looking for something or someone to blame

3. Some people have very strict religious beliefs and can't respect other peoples beliefs or lack of them

4. Some people are just plain bad

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member

Wow that is awful, I am sorry for your loss. Baptism doesn’t save a person anyway. Jesus saved us when he died on the cross.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited November 2017
    The worst thing my in law has done was cheat on their spouse who is dying of cancer and needs help for someone that’s in their 20s. Mind you they’re in their 40s.

Me and my fiancé were left to clean up the rubble of one broken heart and take care of my fiancé’s little brother who is 17 who is completely disrespectful of anything, including my household. Trashed things and left them.

I get along great with both in laws, was just a huge sad mess for months. It’s still really sad.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    On our wedding day (at the reception) my MIL came up to me and gave me a big hug and told me "Welcome to our family!" Umm, hubby and I had dated 5+ years prior to our wedding so apparently you're only let into to club when a marriage certificate is involved? I still shake my head about that one. Not really mean but I definitely file it under stupid.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Generally okay, but I finally had to ask her why she criticized us for some things that other people were praising us for. Seems she had been hearing inaccurate stories from her sisters while she was living in another country, then when she moved in with us it was her opportunity to really fix our problems. Think she and her sisters actually improved after that conversation.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    My mother in law is great, and I love her to death. My MOTHERS mother in law however...
    Accused my Mom of cheating on my Dad, several times, to us kids. Filled us full of chocolate and sweets, behindmymoms back, sfyer being begged not to, and then when I barfed all over her brothers bed,yelled at my Mom for being a bad parent.(Not Dad, lol, never Dad) After my parents were divorced, went to our school and convinced them that Dad had primary custody, and we were all living at her house, so all mail andinfo had to go through her address. This last one almost cost me my Confirmation,and messed up my 8th grade graduation since I wasn't getting important information. when I found out, I went BALLISTIC and there were some hasty emergency meetings with the Principal and my Mom, and permanently excluding Grandma and Daddy from any more decisions.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    kace_kay wrote: »

Wow... that's so awful of them. When my cousin passed away, one of my aunts said the same thing since she wasn't baptized.
    I'm not religious so I don't get it but what would compel someone to ever say that?

Could be a number of things

1. The need to be right, in their own mind, is more important than respecting the moment

2. Maybe rather than grieving in a healthy manner they went on the attack, looking for something or someone to blame

3. Some people have very strict religious beliefs and can't respect other peoples beliefs or lack of them

4. Some people are just plain bad

In a case such as this, they would fit all of these parameters:

-Haven't done their reading, or listened very well, as that isn't a teaching of the church.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20070419_un-baptised-infants_en.html

-Pay lip service to what they claim to believe, but don't seek to align their life with it in any real way.

-Are deeply unhappy. Happy people wouldn't seek to hurt someone.

-Thought it was acceptable to take their anger out on someone who was hurting even more than they were, because such people derive a sick satisfaction from causing other people pain.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    My mother-in-law loves me.

It's probably because I treat her daughter like gold.

(she deserves it)
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Reading all these comments confirm to me...hurt people HURT PEOPLE.
    If you are a victum of being hurt, realize they do as has been done to them....even further...if not done to them a genetic fault.

Frankly, stop having relations just cause you have an itch or at least get protection.....most men will try to talk you into not having c**doms. Men, were c**doms cause she will allege later she is allergic to BC.

Overall..BE SMART. Gonna cost you over 100K to raise a child.