Will Power?

Hello and good morning everyone!
This is my first post :)
I struggle with my will power to control my eating.
Ive tried anti depressants, keeping busy, keeping crap out of the house, therapy...you name it.
I always find myself resorting to eating whats easiest because I am too tired from being a working mom of 2 kids.
What "worked-ing-s" for you when getting your diet and lifestyle on track when it comes to food?
Thanks everyone!
-Stacey :)

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Make what is easy also what fits your goals
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Making sure my calorie goal isn't too low, planning meals that I enjoy, staying connected to my short-term and long-term goals.

If you want to eat what is easiest (nothing wrong with that), make sure you have access to easy things to eat that fit within your goals.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    I only succeed when I make slow, permanent changes. The good news is that you have kids. They will keep you active if you make it a point of doing so. I rely heavily on eating simple, good foods and allowing myself a decent treat periodically. If you are hungry or your blood sugars aren't stable, that may explain the desire to eat easy, fast, sometimes junk, foods. Keep prepped meal components stocked and you should be able to make lower calorie decent quality foods faster than opening up a can of something or heating up a frozen meal. I like chicken that I cook by the tray, frozen fresh veggies, soups, and eggs. If I have all those in my fridge and freezer, I can whip up a week of meals. I also stock up jarred salsa, bbq sauce, and refried beans. I can point you towards blogs and posts that talk about this if you PM me.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Well, can you give us an example of what has been 'easiest' for you in the past so we can make some suggestions on what might work for you now but be slightly better?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    "Will power" is a terrible idea, as understood by best psychological research.

What's better is having a PLAN. And accountability. And a clear motivation, and some rewards don't hurt.

What I'd recommend is looking at your environment, because as a mother of young children you have special challenges.

* There are some healthy quick food out there. There's no reason to not embrace things like high fiber pasta, soups, and so on.
    * Saying that, eating quick meals ALL the time that fit in your calorie goal is not realistic. You may have to figure out how to set aside time to prep REAL food, not just something that can be nuked in a minute.
    * Kids need to learn to eat REAL food. Nothing wrong with mac and cheese, pizza or chicken nuggets... but not all the time. But sometimes dinner should be tilapia with a salad, or a nice chicken breast, or whatever. In America especially we kiddify dinner when really we should expect them to eat what the adults are eating.
    * Yes, get unhealthy crap out of the house. You don't need it. The kids don't need it. It doesn't mean you can't have ice cream or chips once in a while.
    * Take time for yourself. No, really. I know it's hard. But if you don't take care of yourself with some yoga or walking or whatever, you can't really be there for your kids.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    I eat good foods that I enjoy in smaller portions and add in lots of low calorie veggies so I have the volume. That way I don't feel hungry or deprived. I almost always think ahead about what I want to eat and log while I'm preparing it so I can adjust if necessary before over eating. I watch the numbers each time I log and make sure I'm on track. If I'm high on one meal I go low on another. I love snacks and still eat several a day but go for fruit or sugar-free desserts under 100 calories. I know its hard being a busy, working mom (I was there once), and still watch grandkids several days a week. I am the main cook in the household of 5, so I take about 20-30 minutes to prepare a meal but since we all eat whatever I cook it isn't that much work. Even when I'm home alone, I take the time to prepare a healthy meal. It's worth it in the long run and the kids will learn to eat right from the beginning. Also, my daughter loves using her Instapot to make quick one pot meals in a hurry. They are kind of expensive, but perhaps worth it for working moms since they can slow cook to pressure cook.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Have you tried freeing up some of your time from your busy schedule by relying on close friends of family and delegating some of your tasks so that you will have the energy needed to apply to your own health and well being?

If you are spending all of your willpower with your current responsibilities and you want a new responsibility (losing weight and improving your health) then you are going to need to give some of those other responsibilities up. Its about prioritization.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Mom to 3 boys here (8yrs, 4yrs 2yrs) I have no willpower :D...what I do have is determination. I hated feeling sluggish and forced myself to workout just so I could have the energy boost after (this is typically done after work, at my house) I cook while my oldest is doing homework...I will help him study while chopping vegetables for dinner etc. I give my youngest 2 a snack and they play while I'm either working out next to them or cooking. It's not pretty all the time...I get frustrated and want to give up, but then I remember how achy my joints were before and how miserable I was in my own skin and I push through day to day. You can do this...even on the hard days <3
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    <~~~~~ diabetic here, so to keep my will power, I just look at what I should not eat (that will raise my blood sugars) and ask myself one question.... Is that cookie,cake, etc worth losing a toe or leg over??? Works everytime for me.
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Forget will power it is a limited resource. Instead of needing will power for every choice change habits. Then the choice is already made no willpower needed.

This sounds like helpful advice.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2017
    Three things:
    1) a clear goal,
    2) a detailed plan,
    3) several metrics (recording weight and measurements, taking pictures periodically, exercise achievements)