What to do when very few calories are left for dinner?

Options
124»

Replies

• geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to get some fresh salsa to keep in the fridge.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat a lot more in the morning. not only does it fuel my morning but it will get burned off during my day. however to answer your question egg whites. a 10 egg whites omelet is about 170 calories and Its a ton of food. on my recent cut I had 10 egg whites with 6 pieces of turkey bacon for dinner every night and it was only a couple hundred calories with about 60g of protein. I seriously doubt you will need or want 10 egg whites but you could try 3 egg whites and 1 yolk.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Go run for 30 minutes, that should clear up about 500 calories.

That may be a vast overestimate for some people. Even if I run as fast as I can for 30 minutes it will only burn maybe 350 calories max.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

That may be a vast overestimate for some people. Even if I run as fast as I can for 30 minutes it will only burn maybe 350 calories max.

yep. ~220 calories for me at a typical pace (given my usual Garmin estimate of ~72 calories per mile and ~3 miles in 30 minutes). at least its still enough to seriously improve supper prospects though.
  • am22b
    am22b Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Homemade bone broth soups are a great way to feel full with not a lot of calories! I made a chicken broth with the leftovers of a whole chicken (we had eaten the breast meat) , water, kale, lemon, parsley, ginger, carrots, celery, and tomatoes - its under 200 calories, really filling and super healthy! I call it our immunity soup since i came up with it when trying to avoid getting the cold that was going around!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I wish I could row or run for 30 minutes and burn 330 to 500 calories, lol!

But yeah... exercise, or lean meat and veggies. It's been my problem a lot because I'm just so hungry all the time (or if I spend even 200 calories on a treat during the day I end up too hungry and end up with 200 calories for dinner). You can always eat less the next day too but it can be a slippery slope when you end up doing the same thing the next day (speaking from experience).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

yep. ~220 calories for me at a typical pace (given my usual Garmin estimate of ~72 calories per mile and ~3 miles in 30 minutes). at least its still enough to seriously improve supper prospects though.

Same. A 5k burns 260-280 for me.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have a basic veggie soup that I make in large batches ahead of time for just this kind of occasion. I use the Instapot but the stovetop works fine. Presoak beans (I use cannelini). Saute onion in two tablespoons of oil with whatever spices suit your fancy, as well as maybe garlic or ginger. Add soaked beans and the toughest of whatever cut up veggies you have. Add the more delicate veggies later. If you'd like, add greens at the very end, or just have the greens in your bowl and ladle the soup over.

The last time I made it with sweet potato, green cabbage, parsnips, and cauliflower. 6 servings, 9 grams of fiber, and 177 calories per bowl. I have one or two servings and freeze the rest. When I defrost it I use a bit of chicken broth to add water.

If i haven't planned: half an avocado smashed on ezekiel bread. With a poached egg it's still less than 300 calories.

Also: go to bed while you're still satisfied! Me personally, since I am a chronic night eater - if I hang around wasting time I'll get hungry again! This is partly why I have to eat later than most people - I know people say don't eat late, but that just doesn't apply to me.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I woud make a nice salad, add a hardboiled egg or some tuna, and a small amount of lo-cal salad dressing. I pre-log my meals, so I avoid this problem.
  • demochannel
    demochannel Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I try to preplan my meals or try to get some exercise at the end of the day to bring the red negative number close to 0 calories or more. Plus, I add “cooking and food prep” as an exercise (it is there as an option under cardio exercise) and you do burn a good amount of calories if you end up cooking a meal for an hour or more on your feet. I’ve also synced the MapMyWalk app and count calories burned if I go for a walk or a long shopping trip at the grocery store. I try to get in as much exercise as I can, even from seemingly ordinary tasks like cooking and grocery to keep me from going into the negatives when I am too busy for a proper workout.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If it happens once in awhile, cause you are still new to this, just eat yogurt or go ahead and eat dinner just less of it, then if you want make up the excess by eating less somewhere in the week, or extra exercise.

When you find your go to's for breakfast and lunch where you allocate enough calories to keep you satiated, then you will have enough for dinner. Pick your favorite meal and make that the 'king' of your calories. The other meals need to be streamlined (low fat protein helps - chicken breast, boiled eggs, etc.). Good luck.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, eggs, veggies, salsa,veggie burgers.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    geltner1 wrote: »
    Some days, after I log in breakfast and lunch, there are 200 calories left for dinner. How do you manage that?

Vegetables are perfect for situations where you have little calories left since you have a ton of volume for little calories.... or as some have suggested, burn some calories if you want to eat more food or you can just not eat at supper and have 200 calories added to the next day.
  • lblackbrn69
    lblackbrn69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    McDougall’s lentil soup with the addition of salsa and/or hot sauce! Tasty, easy, filling, low calorie, high protein/ high fiber meal -
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Veggie stir fry....but also, planning ahead. Plan your meals when you can so you don't run into this issue.