Gaining weight as a VEGETARIAN (or vegan)

Hey y'all I'm new to myfitnesspal and I've been a vegetarian for 6 months due to health reasons. I have been underweight for a while (even before I was vegetarian). I am currently looking for tips on how to gain weight as a vegetarian. Are there any other vegetarians or vegans out there gaining or trying to gain weight while being vegetarian or vegan? Any meal ideas? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Replies

• tuckahoe88
    tuckahoe88 Posts: 31 Member
    Nut butters, protein (I like Vega), tempeh, huge veggie stir fries, cashew yogurt, sweet potatoes. There are so many great vegan options out there now. Best of luck to you!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I’m vegetarian and could easily gain weight if I tried. Eggs, full fat dairy, beans, avocado, tempeh, oils, nut butter, and of course, more vegetables.
  • piffster12
    piffster12 Posts: 9 Member
    Some ppl are bad vegetarians and eat wrong. They're already limited so it's hard.

You might have to rethink the vegetarian thing.

Hmmmm, Im not 100% sure about that. I do feel healthier it's just about finding balance for me. Thanks tho!
  • piffster12
    tuckahoe88 wrote: »
    Nut butters, protein (I like Vega), tempeh, huge veggie stir fries, cashew yogurt, sweet potatoes. There are so many great vegan options out there now. Best of luck to you!

Cashew yogurt...I've never heard of it but I'll look it up! I generally eat soy yogurt. Thanks for the tips
  • piffster12
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I’m vegetarian and could easily gain weight if I tried. Eggs, full fat dairy, beans, avocado, tempeh, oils, nut butter, and of course, more vegetables.

Thanks for the tips. I will def try and add more beans and butters. I'm lactose intolerant so I generally stick to dairy alternatives.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian, but adding calorie dense options to get your cals up like nuts, nut butters, granola, seeds, oils, avocado, coconut milk is amazing (you can add to stir fries, noodle dishes, soups, curries etc), legumes, beans, potatoes, pasta, noodles, breads, rice, fruit (especially bananas, pineapples, mango, dried fruit), juices, chips etc.
  • tuckahoe88
    tuckahoe88 Posts: 31 Member
    piffster12 wrote: »

Cashew yogurt...I've never heard of it but I'll look it up! I generally eat soy yogurt. Thanks for the tips

You're very welcome! I'm a (very) long time vegetarian, mostly vegan and I find it quite easy to gain, to lose, and for the past couple of years, to maintain :)
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    I use a Vegan protein shake to get extra calories. It tastes so good. I have to be dairy free primarily but it’s called ‘weirder vegan protein’. I’ve used the chocolate brownie flavor. Don’t like it mixed with water but with milk substitute it’s lovely
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Quinoa and tofu/tempeh - protein, filling good fats! Lots of veggies of all kinds - stir-frys and soups are the easiest- one pot :). (Also have an instant pot which makes cooking seitan, squashes, potatoes, beans, etc soooo much easier). Been veggie for thirty years - it's not hard to gain for sure. Especially with so much available and so much info these days! I do supplement a protein powder a few times a week to easily up the intake without lots of extra food and calories. You can do this - no problem!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I've gained, lost and maintained as a vegetarian. (I'm ovo/lacto, so I eat eggs and dairy). The primary principle of weight gain -- intake more than you expend, and it's easier to do that when you incorporate high-calorie foods that aren't filling -- is the same no matter what you eat. Look for foods that are higher in fat -- avocado, nuts/nut butters, olives/olive oil and grains like rice or quinoa are all vegan. Dried fruit is good, as are roasted vegetables with oil.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I eat meat probably twice a week now (and I'm gluten and dairy free). I'd describe myself more as Flexitarian more than Vegan. With not eating gluten, it's probably just as tough with what I do as Vegan.

I only went this way because my wife had Chronic pain. I strongly believe that Vegan (if done right with supplementation) is the best way to eat with her condition, so it made sense for me to do it with her (and I do the cooking at home).

I also train pretty hard, so I was concerned (not for her) for me going more WFPB (whole food, plant based). It hasn't been an issue. Like others have said, if you eat cleaner (not loading up on empty carbs but more on fresh veggies), it's a great way to live. I also use nut butters and Vegan Protein powder to supplement. I have not lost weight or muscle mass since going more plant based and I feel healthier too. I have more energy and less inflammation.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited November 2017
    Textured vegetable protein is a go to at our house. Lots of protein, 150 calories for half a cup dry. Hummus, beans, nut butters, coconut cream... yum.

We're so limited lol
  • It's fairly easy to gain weight as a vegetarian, eat lots of carbs, though it won't be healthy for long term.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2017
    Juice Plus Protein has tons of sugar (though natural) and Xanthan Gum. If I want to fart for days, I'd use it. I prefer SunWarrior much better. It's much cheaper and has cleaner ingredients. Juice Plus also has Soy Protein. Others I prefer (over JP) are many. RawFusion is another good one. I have to avoid Xanthan Gum at all costs and my wife also reacts terribly to it. Many of the JP products also have inferior vitamins in them (just my opinion but it's also typical of MLM -- multi level marketing products). I'd rather use one sweetened only by Organic Stevia personally.

I like that SunWarrior has "Warrior Blend", without grains (or soy) and if you're OK with grains, they use Sprouted, Fermented grains (far superior in terms of digestion) in their Classic Plus variety.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »

If OP's version of vegetarianism includes eggs and dairy, then yeah, should be zero problems gaining weight.
  • Waterbug08
    Waterbug08 Posts: 9 Member
    Been a vegetarian for over 10 years. I can attest that you definitely can gain, loose and maintain on this diet. The thing to be careful of is what foods you use to do so. In college I ate vegetarian, but crappy food (think cheese pizza, sugar cereal, etc etc). I first lost and then gained weight and didn't feel well throughout all of it. Now i eat vegetarian by focusing on good quality food. You can of course incorporate some treats, especially if you are gaining, but still best to eat the good stuff. I have maintained for 5 years, and now am looking to loose a bit, and find all of this very easy on a vegetarian diet. Good luck to you!
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    jaciejaciexoxo Posts: 49 Member
    piffster12 wrote: »
    Hey y'all I'm new to myfitnesspal and I've been a vegetarian for 6 months due to health reasons. I have been underweight for a while (even before I was vegetarian). I am currently looking for tips on how to gain weight as a vegetarian. Are there any other vegetarians or vegans out there gaining or trying to gain weight while being vegetarian or vegan? Any meal ideas? Any tips would be much appreciated!

The key is to cook. No one can fuel your body like you. All those foods people already mentioned are good. And just like herbivores in the wild, you have to eat A LOT of what you do eat. As in, there always needs to be something in your face, because plant based foods don't typically have a lot of calories. Pretty much all legumes & starchy vegetables are highest in calories. Nuts, peanut butter are good. And aim to eat at least 6 times a day because you have to eat a lot and it can be overwhelming. Don't go more than 2-3 hours without a snack.

I noticed someone recommended protein powder but if your anything like me that stuff is atrocious and hard to get down so
    What really helps me is to make a high calorie fruit smoothie with almonds or nuts in general, peanut butter, avacodo, flaxseeds, and of course berries and banana. Use juice as the liquid. I don't have a big appetite so this tricked my mind into thinking it wasn't that much. It's a good 1000 calories alone if you do it right. Of course you adjust to how many calories you want.

Most importantly, try to consume only wholesome & high quality food.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I hope this helps!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    onehotjeep wrote: »
    As a vegan you have a better advantage to gain quality muscle over the vegetarians and animal flesh eaters because plant base protein is utilized so much more efficiently than animal protein. And everybody says muscle weighs more than fat, but that's just based on density. In actuality a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. They are both a pound. Though it's easier to gain that pound in fat, I don't think that's the weight your looking to gain. Definitely go with quality muscle weight obviously for the health benefits. Here is my secret weapon for a high quality protein source. It called Juice Plus Complete protein and it is by far the best available on the market.
    And Vegan AF

Animal protein is more bioavailable than any plant based protein for humans.