Tried sardines.....

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I love sardines and in fact, you have made me realise I have not eaten sardines in probably over a decade if not longer... wow. I used to get them on toast as a kid for Sunday tea. Now I shall have to buy some. I am a big seafood fan, although I don't much like tuna and have never tried lobster.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    edited November 2017
    dsboohead wrote: »
    .....and they weren't bad. Had a can of sardines sitting in hot sauce. Read the nutritional value and they were touted as being healthy as well as high calcium.
    Put them on toast for breakfast so to the store I go to get other flavors. Pleasantly surprised!

Awesome!! I just had some in Mustard Sauce a few minutes ago. The other two in recent days were in Tomato Sauce, and in Lemon Sauce. I've been avoiding the ones in Soyabean Oil now.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Gonna go to other stores to see what I can find in regards to this nutritional high protein item!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited November 2017
    King Oscar sardines are the best I can get at the grocery store. My favorite sardines are the jalapeño ones in oil. I'm trying to eat the ones in spring water but they really don't taste too good.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited November 2017
    King Oscar always seems to be on the list of best tasting sardines along w/certain others but I've never bought sardines for taste, mainly their protein content.

Figure that like tuna they all taste pretty much the same and not too good regardless. So, I always buy them solely based on price and volume; the most fish for the least cost. I get mine for only $1/can at my local Dollar Store. A very large can weighing 7 oz and about 28g of protein in 240 cals.

Given this, I have a hard time bringing myself to pay up to or over $3/can for sardines regardless of how good they may taste.

For $1 at the same store, I can also buy a
    10 oz can of mackerel that contains 52g protein in 360 cals. About twice as much protein as in a can of sardines for the same price, which actually makes them a better value.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    King Oscar sardines are the best I can get at the grocery store. My favorite sardines are the jalapeño ones in oil. I'm trying to eat the ones in spring water but they really don't taste too good.

I agree love the King Oscar the best..I like the ones in olive oil mooshed on toast :p yummm
  • OuchArtist
    OuchArtist Posts: 41 Member
    edited November 2017
    One thing for sure, is you can call them a superfood, I used to eat them even if I hated their taste because they're loaded with Vitamins D, E, B12, Zinc, Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium.. today I discovered a brand of sardines canned with tomato sauce, and sardines are now one of the things I enjoy, I know it's weird, but it just happened.
    Along with boiled whole organic eggs, and you are doing your body a big favor..
    I'm a fighter, meaning I lose a lot of minerals due to training, so personally, I eat about 12 boiled eggs, and around 320 grams of net sardines EACH single day, and I'm feeling pretty refreshed and amazing.
    Of course that's not all I eat, but I also incorporate avocados, blackberries, spinach, arugula, mushrooms, pomegranates, into my diet, while also making sure that I get quality sleep.
    By the way sardines and eggs are the only animal products I eat xD.
    Cheers.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I love fresh caught grilled sardines. I've never eaten the canned ones.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    .....and they weren't bad. Had a can of sardines sitting in hot sauce. Read the nutritional value and they were touted as being healthy as well as high calcium.
    Put them on toast for breakfast so to the store I go to get other flavors. Pleasantly surprised!

I love sardines. I buy them boneless in tomato sauce, spread them on toast and top them with pickled jalapeños. ..:)

Oh, I will have to look for this. I don't mind the taste of sardines but have texture issues with the bones. I didn't know they sold them boneless.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I don't care much for sardines, but love pickled herring.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Gosh I love sardines! My Gramma would buy the sardines (sprats) in oil and we would eat on buttered French bread. It’s been a while! I know what I am requesting next time I go over to her house!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I love the Wild Planet ones that come packaged in olive oil. I usually drain the oil off, sprinkle a little extra sea salt on them, and dip them in ketchup. Sometimes I'll eat them with nutritional yeast too. Sounds gross, but it's super yummy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I like them, just wish I could find them deboned. Yuck.
  • dsboohead
    I love the Wild Planet ones that come packaged in olive oil. I usually drain the oil off, sprinkle a little extra sea salt on them, and dip them in ketchup. Sometimes I'll eat them with nutritional yeast too. Sounds gross, but it's super yummy!

Nutritional yeast just sprinkled on top?? Interesting combo!
  • dsboohead
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I like them, just wish I could find them deboned. Yuck.

The bones are so teeny and chalky and that is where the high in calcium is......Ilike that little munch!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I love sardines. Try them mixed into a saute with nicely caramelized onions and soft scrambled eggs. Eat with crusty bread. So delicious.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I love fresh caught grilled sardines. I've never eaten the canned ones.

These are great if/when you can find them.

Had them once at a restaurant. Big fat ones, tasted like mackeral. Not tin/mushy tasting like canned. They were great!

Haven't ever seen them fresh in my area. Would buy some if I did.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited December 2017
    Mashed up, in tomato sauce, salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Piled onto hot buttered wholemeal toast. Grated cheddar if you're feeling cheeky.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    I eat 'em on Triscuit crackers with mustard - bones & all
  • Last night for dinner, I cooked/heated up a can of wild caught sardines in olive oil, fried them with chopped artichokes, diced garlic pickles, tomato paste, fresh garlic and red salsa, ...topped them with hot chili garlic sauce...and added black beans and cooked bok choy on the side! Protein powerhouse, cheap and good! I always have to dress them up extra good due to how fishy that can smell and taste.