Protein shake good

When should I drink protein shake and are they good for you and how much too use daily

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited November 2017
    Protein shakes provide primarily protein. They are good if you cant meet your protein requirements through the food you eat.

I don't have issues getting 130-150g protein through food, so use minimal protein powder. I use a small amount mixed through natural yogurt to add flavour and sweetness, and I have some in coffee. If I make pancakes/waffles I use protein in the batter.

I can't remember the last time I drank a protein shake. Drinking does nothing for my satiety so I prefer to eat my protein
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    WHEN you need the calories and protein, you can have a protein shake or any other recipe you create with protein in it.
    They ARE good for you if you need the protein and have room for the calories.
    USE as much as you want to pay for each day.

I've got 3 tubs of protein and most days I can't find a reason to use it. I get all the protein I need from food.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Protein shakes are just a protein supplement. You can drink them when you are low in protein for the day and don't feel like eating protein rich foods or don't have the calories.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    I prefer to get my protein from food but I will drink a shake on a busy day when I can't make my food.
  • itsaboutthattimeagain
    itsaboutthattimeagain Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2017
    I drink one after I am through with my workout/strength training. I'm a pescetarian, but do not eat seafood daily, so it helps me meet my 90 gram daily protein requirement.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited November 2017
    Yep, straight after training in the gym because it helps recovery and offers a much needed protein hit for those gaining muscles.

I then go home and eat a good meal of protein, carbs and fats to keep it all going.

Some brands of whey protein powder contain carbs but most will not. You need to consider this when eating.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Note that some of the flavored powders can have a lot of calories per gram of protein (so not necessarily the most calorie-efficient way to get protein in like might be assumed..food sources might be preferable if you don't love the taste of protein powder drinks, but are fond of cottage cheese or chicken/tuna salad).
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    I like to think of mine as a little chocolatey treat as well as an extra protein hot after strength training.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    When should I drink protein shake and are they good for you and how much too use daily

Protein powder/shakes are meal replacements.

They are a convenient way of eating food. You could also eat eggs, a sandwich, meat, etc.

Will you grow huge muscles like the bodybuilders on websites/youtube say because you drink protein shakes? No.

Do you need protein powder/whey/whatever/supplements? No.

Will your wallet be lighter if you buy all that stuff? Yes.