Is it a good idea to run while trying to gain?

angierosas43
angierosas43 Posts: 10 Member
Hey everyone im new here but have been tracking by keeping a food diary for a while let me explain..im currently VERY underweight. About 73 pounds with a height of 5'0(19 years old by the way) and before anyone says to talk to my doctor or a dietitian. Well..long story short.. I had WAY too many problems with my doctor that i had to discontinue going with him and currently in on a long waiting list for a new doctor I was recommended. I also can't afford a dietitian or nutritionist right now either so I'm hoping in the meantime to atleast get a few general suggestions/opinions on my situation and how to go about it. I lost weight due to being ill for almost a month and my appetite was non-existent so it was very hard to eat, I hate force feeding myself if I'm not hungry. Now I feel alot better but now I have the problem of being underweight, I want to gain some weight but since I'm also a long distance runner I want to be able to run as well. Would that be a good idea considering the weight I'm at? I mean, I wouldn't be burning alot of calories on my runs anyway since I'm very underweight so should I continue running and just increase my intake slowly but surely? I appreciate any and all suggestions or opinions thanks again

Forgot to add I run about an hour(sometimes less) to 1 hour and a half 5 days a week. Just for a better idea on how much I run

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    I would cut down on the running and start lifting some weights- 3 x per week & eat - that way when you gain weight some of it will be muscle. Starting Strength is a good program to start with - Eat protein - meat eggs cheese etc - carbs -rice, potatoes. use olive oil & butter, eat some nuts & avocados - don't be afraid to put on some fat, you can gain 30 lbs and still be slim - a female should have a minimum 15% body fat for proper health-If you miss running - try some sprints, 100 m at full speed or uphill sprints. do that on a day you don't lift weights - Eastcoast Jim
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Stop the running for the time being until you gain some. Your body needs adequate fuel for restoration, and it's not going to get that if you keep tearing the muscles. It's just temporary until you get your caloric and nutrition intake down. Then you could do some light running, but I would suggest you get into lifting so you gain some muscle.
  • babyrn75
    babyrn75 Posts: 6 Member
    ecjim wrote: »
    I would cut down on the running and start lifting some weights- 3 x per week & eat - that way when you gain weight some of it will be muscle. Starting Strength is a good program to start with - Eat protein - meat eggs cheese etc - carbs -rice, potatoes. use olive oil & butter, eat some nuts & avocados - don't be afraid to put on some fat, you can gain 30 lbs and still be slim - a female should have a minimum 15% body fat for proper health-If you miss running - try some sprints, 100 m at full speed or uphill sprints. do that on a day you don't lift weights - Eastcoast Jim

I second everything said east coast Jim said here
  • angierosas43
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    In your situation and current weight, I disagree with doing any running until you gain weight. It is presented in the OP that you have not stopped running. That said, weight restoration should take precedence until you have restored full metabolic function. While you say you won't be burning very many calories because of your current weight, this is false. Running burns calories no matter how much you weight.

Even after you gain weight, exercise should be reintroduced slowly and at the supervision of your doctors. Please seek the advice of your doctors.

Yeah sounds like a fair suggestion thanks! I guess I had the idea in my head because I was told since I'm very underweight I wouldn't be burning that many calories vs if I was a heavier weight as long as my intake is higher than my burn to gain.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    With as little as you weigh, and especially as you have been having a hard time gaining, you should be doing as little as possible to burn ANY calories.

I don't mean to alarm you, but most nomograms for body weight/height/BMI for adults do not go down as low as you weigh. You really need to see a doctor or medical professional as soon as possible.

Are you at university? Is there a health center on campus? Is there a community health center near you? You said you are a long distance runner--do you have a coach or trainer with whom you work?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Logically, if you ate back the calories you burned running, then it would be a wash.

Logically, yes. Not sure if you did the math, but she has a BMI of ~14.3 right now. She is severely underweight and should focus on burning as few extra calories as possible because her body is going to need them for basic functions.
  • alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Logically, if you ate back the calories you burned running, then it would be a wash.

Well I would eat back the calories I burn plus more to be in a surplus
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    If you are as underweight as you say you are, you shouldn't be running. Period.

Get your weight up, then re-evaluate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Stop running and focus on putting on weight...see a doctor asap...
  • muedra52
    muedra52 Posts: 11 Member
    No. At your weight you are at EXTREMELY high risk of stress fracture with running, especially given your mileage.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Honestly, you probably shouldn't be doing any exercise at all until you've put on at least 20 lbs and your doctor gives you the okay. What is your normal weight (your weight prior to your illness)?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Generally, probably not. Or at least scaled way back.

Given your specific situation, absolutely not. Instead, make adequate nutrition and sufficient calories to attain and maintain good health your hobby.
  • angierosas43
    Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions/advice! I decided I'm only going to run two times a week for 30 minutes and increase my intake to gain the necessary weight.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Im going to disagree with most.
    Keep on running, if thats what you like, just eat more. I have no problems, gaining or maintaining or loosing while cycling and running during the season. Just make sure to eat a proper diet to support all that.

I could gain weight while running too, that doesn't mean that's right for everyone's situation...
    For someone severely under weight who does not like eating when they aren't hungry, I would focus on getting healthy before adding the extra stress on the body, and calorie burn. Not everyone finds it easy to gain weight.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    No, you really should stop running till you gain weight. You are dangerously ill at your very low weight.

You may think your body can take it and you may feel fine but one day, your heart might just give out if you carry on without putting on weight. Focus on that first and do seek professional help as soon as possible (your coach, another temp doctor if you can’t get the one you want first etc).

You might already have been quite underweight before the illness you said you had?
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Im going to disagree with most.
    Keep on running, if thats what you like, just eat more. I have no problems, gaining or maintaining or loosing while cycling and running during the season. Just make sure to eat a proper diet to support all that.

I could gain weight while running too, that doesn't mean that's right for everyone's situation...
    For someone severely under weight who does not like eating when they aren't hungry, I would focus on getting healthy before adding the extra stress on the body, and calorie burn. Not everyone finds it easy to gain weight.

From what theh OP said, shes not new to running to she is not introducing any new stress on the body. The body is used to this. She also said she overcame her illness. Therefore, its simple. Just eat more calorie dense foods. Avocados, nuts, nut butters etc etc. will give you lots of calories for very little quantity.

She’s severely underweight and is already at high risk of heart failure without the running. Better to be safe than sorry... in this case anyway.