Is running in cold weather keeping me sick?

Options
I have been fighting chest congestion for a month as of tomorrow. I will feel great for a few days, so I’ll get back out and run my miles. The next day, I’m coughing again. I know only bacteria and viruses make us sick, but is the cold weather keeping me sick?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you think it is from cold air you can try wearing a face cover as mentioned above, I find that sometimes helps with my chest feeling tight during cold runs. Reoccurring congestion I would think is from an illness, and you should see a doctor to find a way to kick it once and for all.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    See your Dr as a month is a long time to have chest congestion. The running could be dislodging the mucus in your chest or it could be that you're not yet ready for exercise.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting chest congestion for a month as of tomorrow. I will feel great for a few days, so I’ll get back out and run my miles. The next day, I’m coughing again. I know only bacteria and viruses make us sick, but is the cold weather keeping me sick?

No - the cold air/weather is not keeping you sick.

Go to a walk-in clinic, physician, etc. One month is too long and you are risking further complications.

Pathogenic organisms live in a very small temperature band so cool/cold fresh air kills these quite effectively.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    "At body temperature, the cells responded with a sophisticated defense, sending out warning signals to uninfected cells around them. Those cells prepared an arsenal of antiviral proteins, which they used to destroy the rhinoviruses.

But at a relatively cool 91.4 degrees Fahrenheit, Dr. Iwasaki and her colleagues found, things changed.

The neighboring cells only managed a weak defense, allowing the rhinoviruses to invade them and multiply. This result pointed to an explanation for why rhinoviruses plague humans at low temperatures: In cool conditions, the immune system somehow falters."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/scientists-finally-prove-cold-weather-makes-sick/
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    See a doctor just to make sure you don't have asthma, bronchitis or walking pneumonia. If the doctor says it's not viral / bacterial and you are only coughing while you are running, it could be just a reaction to the cold air (reactive asthma). Ask for a script for a steroid inhaler and use as directed.

Take a hot shower before you run just to loosen things up and another when you come back. Peppermint tea with honey or a few teaspoons of sugar will sometimes help the bronchial spasms.

See also:

"A 2000 study in the journal “Immunology and Cell Biology” discusses the possible complications of running when sick. Running with a chest cold will make the symptoms worse and may lead to more severe complications, such as pneumonia. Infection and fever can also affect muscles and nerves, which may lead to less strength and coordination and therefore increase the risk of injury.

If you have a fever, exercise will make the fever higher, and you run the risk of developing heat stroke. When you have a fever, your heart is working hard, pumping blood to the skin to try to keep you cool. When you raise your body temperature even more by exercising, the heart may become damaged from having to work too hard.

Occasionally, viruses that cause respiratory symptoms can also cause the heart muscle to become inflamed, a condition called myocarditis. Exercise and myocarditis can be a life-threatening complication."

(Which is why you need to see the doctor just to make sure you heart hasn't been affected.)

Ref: https://www.livestrong.com/article/259054-can-i-run-with-a-chest-cold/
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    "At body temperature, the cells responded with a sophisticated defense, sending out warning signals to uninfected cells around them. Those cells prepared an arsenal of antiviral proteins, which they used to destroy the rhinoviruses.

But at a relatively cool 91.4 degrees Fahrenheit, Dr. Iwasaki and her colleagues found, things changed.

The neighboring cells only managed a weak defense, allowing the rhinoviruses to invade them and multiply. This result pointed to an explanation for why rhinoviruses plague humans at low temperatures: In cool conditions, the immune system somehow falters."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/scientists-finally-prove-cold-weather-makes-sick/

Assuming this is core body temperature 91.4 degrees Fahrenheit would mean hypothermia. You have more pressing issues than viral infection at this point.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Assuming this is core body temperature 91.4 degrees Fahrenheit would mean hypothermia. You have more pressing issues than viral infection at this point.

They're looking at lung villi and other respiratory tract lining cells rather than core body temperature (at least from what I saw in the article), which I'm thinking would have a temporary surface temperature change when running in a cold weather for an extended time. Although unless a person is running for half or full marathon times and/or spending most of the day outdoors in freezing temps, I don't see it causing signalling issues between infected/uninfected cells.

@ OP, running with a chest infection will dislodge mucus and cause coughing and all sorts of ickies. Standard suggestion for runners and viral infections is if it is only affecting your respiratory system from the neck up, feel free to run if you're up to it. If it's from the neck down, wait until it's passed. It's better to recover before you head out the door again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Respiratory issues are exacerbated by exercise in general...if it's below the neck, you should just be resting...a walk at most. Moderate to intense exercise when you're sick is going to prolong the illness regardless of the temperature outside.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    As the poster above says, above the neck run, below the neck rest. The heavy breathing while exercising pushes the infection further into the lungs. Sorry to say, you need to stop running until you’re totally better. Good luck!
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

They're looking at lung villi and other respiratory tract lining cells rather than core body temperature (at least from what I saw in the article), which I'm thinking would have a temporary surface temperature change when running in a cold weather for an extended time. Although unless a person is running for half or full marathon times and/or spending most of the day outdoors in freezing temps, I don't see it causing signalling issues between infected/uninfected cells.

@ OP, running with a chest infection will dislodge mucus and cause coughing and all sorts of ickies. Standard suggestion for runners and viral infections is if it is only affecting your respiratory system from the neck up, feel free to run if you're up to it. If it's from the neck down, wait until it's passed. It's better to recover before you head out the door again.

I pulled the source study and it's a mouse study.

This would definitely impact transitional cells. There's a good deal of information within the military SERE schools and related survival schools - some are available at health.mil.

From a pathogenic organism perspective you increase the chance of weakening/killing pathogens by exposure to cold air, but as you state you dislodge mucus which will increase the exposure to new tissue and cause complications e.g. pneumonia.
  • gpokerlund
    gpokerlund Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cold air can cause inflammation in the upper airways and if your already battling, it can prolong recovery.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue, and after three weeks went to a doctor. I had a bacterial lung infection, and the recommendation was lots of rest, fluids and antibiotics. Definitely no running!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It may not be because the air is cold, but because it's DRY. How much do you end up breathing thru your mouth when you run, because that is doubly bad since the nasal passages help moisten incoming air and filter out some pathogens.
  • JacqueLiveOTB
    JacqueLiveOTB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For myself, I believe that it keeps me healthy. It might be in my head but it’s working so far. I make sure that I am taking a good multi-vitamin and mineral pack 2 x a day, watch macros, drink water, and try, and I say try loosely, to get enough sleep! Always a battle. Like right now! I should be heading to bed but nope. Distracted and I still have to feed the cat! Lol!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It could also be the running itself and just the harsh cold air irritating your bronchials enough to make you start coughing again, which then irritates everything all up again, and starts your symptoms over again.
    It is also possible that if you aren't at top health yet, then your body just isn't ready for you to push yourself yet, so your immune system is just really easily compromised right now.