How you started strength training (beginners)

2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    A few more questions, what do I do with muscle pain recovery, do I rest and take a break off from cardio, or work through the pain? Should I go 3x a week like for an example, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday? Can a professional trainer give you a body check and give you the nutrition and information I need for strength training and to reach my goals? Sorry for so many questions

Start slow and build up - have two days off between training sessions at first if you need them. It's not a race and doesn't need to be a punishment!
    Soreness and pain are two different things, gentle movement and exercise can help with soreness but pain really needs rest.
    Depends on the qualifications of your trainer - knowing how to lift or devise a program doesn't mean they have qualifications above your average man in the street as regards nutrition. Why do you need any nutritional advice beyond what is freely available on this site anyway? It's not really so complex or important for an average (or even non-average) person that they need bespoke advice.

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited December 2017
    I joined a gym...stuck to cardio equipment, b/c I didn't know what/how to do anything else. My husband joined the gym a few months later; he got bored with cardio fast. He signed up for 3 courses with a trainer (former powerlifter).

My husband showed me how to do compound lifts....fast forward a couple of years, I'm competing in my 4th powerlifting competition in Feb.

I've read Starting Strength and Tim Henriques's Powerlifting. I work with a powerlifting coach. It's hard to get into lifting on your own. It helps to have resources.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    What are yalls experience with beginning in strength training?
    I started in about 1974 with a strange spring and cable device called a Bullworker. Then added bodyweight exercises, then started going to the gym with my older brother where I lifted too hard, too badly, too competitively, no plan or program - but still made rapid progress (like most teenage boys can despite horrible routines). Injured myself a few times too.

Holy crap! My dad had one of those bull workers! That and push-ups we're my 1st foray into strength training.
    In high school I was introduced to machine weights, then after graduation joined a local gym with no machines(well except for a cable crossover & lat pulldown) Back then I started out doing bodybuilding bro splits instead of a solid program of full body compound movements. Oh what I wish I knew back then
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    What are yalls experience with beginning in strength training?
    I started in about 1974 with a strange spring and cable device called a Bullworker. Then added bodyweight exercises, then started going to the gym with my older brother where I lifted too hard, too badly, too competitively, no plan or program - but still made rapid progress (like most teenage boys can despite horrible routines). Injured myself a few times too.

Holy crap! My dad had one of those bull workers! That and push-ups we're my 1st foray into strength training.
    In high school I was introduced to machine weights, then after graduation joined a local gym with no machines(well except for a cable crossover & lat pulldown) Back then I started out doing bodybuilding bro splits instead of a solid program of full body compound movements. Oh what I wish I knew back then
    @rybo
    Your Dad had one! Thanks - now I feel really, really old.... :)
    g12jmqcrzswb.jpeg

It was better than the "chest expanders" my uncle handed down to me and my brother - far too easy to let the springs close on your chest hair and rip it out - ouch. This was the 70's when men still (mostly) had chest hair.....
    h9i9m82expnt.jpeg

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I would not try to do an hour of cardio plus strength training in the same day. I started with 30 day shred, then ripped in 30, Denise Austin 3 week boot camp, and The Firm super cardio mix. All of these workouts are a combination of cardio and weights, ranging from about 20 min to an hour long. Then, I was invited to join in on a power lifting team's workouts. That is where I learned basic lifting with free weights (squat, deadlifts, bench, ohp, good mornings, etc). From there, I started Stronglifts 5x5 on my own. I would alternate cardio days and strength days, or at least split them am/pm.

I wanted to do strength training in the morning and cardio at night. Still not a good idea?

That's what I usually do. My gym is much less crowded before work, so that's the time I go M, W, F to lift. For cardio, I fit runs in between after work and dancing where they fit/when group runs with groups I like are scheduled - this happens to sometimes be the same day as lifting, sometimes not. (and dancing is technically also cardio).
  • ritzvin
    I'm new to all the strength training and not sure where to start. I want to slim my thighs down, lose some unwanted fat, and get some strength back. What are yalls experience with beginning in strength training? What kind of diet or lifestyle you do? How much should you consume for strength training and doing about an hour of cardio a day? Do you do upper, lower body days, full body everyday? How often you do these workouts, and how long does it take to see results? Like I said, I'm new to all this and so many questions.
    A few more questions, what do I do with muscle pain recovery, do I rest and take a break off from cardio, or work through the pain? Should I go 3x a week like for an example, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday? Can a professional trainer give you a body check and give you the nutrition and information I need for strength training and to reach my goals? Sorry for so many questions

- For minimal time and days in the gym and as a beginner: full body 2-3x per week. most basic would be 1 leg (squats or deadlifts), 1 pull (chin-ups/pull-ups/lat. pulldowns, some type of rows), 1 push (bench press, overhead press), alternating the legs and horizontal/orthogonal vs vertical/parallel push and pull movements). Beyond the basic, but frequently added in: a bicep or tricep isolation movement and/or glute item and/or something for the leg muscle the main leg movement didn't target. Starting Strength has some good specific detail on the movements - very detailed on form and what not to do; Strong Curves is good for adding in some work on the glutes. My workouts are usually about 35-45 minutes. (3-4 sets, supersetting whatever I can, switched many things to dumbbells to save time, extra movements beyond the basic list added in - but they are largely filling what would be rest time for the basic movements).
    - If you are starting to run, then at least 1 and preferably often 2 days between sessions. It would probably be similar for other intense cardio where you might be hopping/moving/etc.
    - depends.. Is it actual pain, or just soreness.
    - there are online calculators/guidelines to estimate how much protein, fat you should be getting. Some typical recommendations for protein range between (0.8-1.0)g*(somewhere between lean body mass to ideal body weight in lbs). You can find some governmental guidelines online for how much fat and fiber you should ensure you are getting as well (for general health, not specifically for muscle building/weightloss).
    - For the slimming down, that will be down to keeping a calorie deficit.
  • ritzvin
    .. and how long does it take to see results?..

I joined the gym in ~February and started a program ~March/April, sometimes only going once per week until just the last few months when I started going before work (it is much more pleasant then - same small group of people rather than an overcrowded version of hell). I've seen pretty amazing results - very noticeable definition in my arms, upper back, legs, abs (and I've gotten comments from quite a few people who have noticed)(note: I also went from a BMI of ~26 down to 23.5 in that time, so some of the definition became visible from less fat covering the muscle and not just more muscle).
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited December 2017
    I used to do total-body group ex classes at the gym and balanced them out with my own strength work as needed. Recently I started Strong Curves. I just follow the set workouts. I started feeling stronger right away and really seeing results in about six weeks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I am signing up at my local gym bc I'm now tired of doing hours of cardio that make me hungry, overeat, and have gained weight and lost so much muscle mass. I'm new to all the strength training and not sure where to start. I want to slim my thighs down, lose some unwanted fat, and get some strength back. What are yalls experience with beginning in strength training? What kind of diet or lifestyle you do? How much should you consume for strength training and doing about an hour of cardio a day? Do you do upper, lower body days, full body everyday? How often you do these workouts, and how long does it take to see results? Like I said, I'm new to all this and so many questions.

When I got back into the gym 5 years ago I did Starting Strength...I had never run an actual program before other than when I was in high school where our strength coach laid everything out for us. SS is a good, basic beginner barbell routine.

Diet wise, I eat the same way now in maintenance as I did when I was losing...lots of good nutrition with a smattering of pizza and fish 'n chips now and again.

In regards to slimming this or that...that really isn't going to have anything to do with weight training...you will slim down with a calorie deficit and fat loss.

I don't recommend body part splits for beginners...I would recommend a full body program. Full body programs aren't run every day...they are most typically 3x per week on non-consecutive days. I only recommend splits for intermediate to advanced lifters who are actually trying to put on mass and need that kind of training volume to do it...or if you just like spending a bunch of time in the gym.

I'm far from a beginner at this point but I still do full body...it is more than enough for someone who's just trying to be fit and look the part and to be strong...it's not enough volume to body build though.
  • When is the best time to do strength training? In the morning, afternoon, or evening? Fast or have breakfast before strength training? What happens if u don't consume anything after the workout like if I did it before bed? I might as well ask same for cardio? I tend to do my cardio and not consume anything after until the next day. This a bad idea and I suppose it's a big reason y I'm always hungry and will sometimes end up over eating. Could I still do strength training everyday or is that bad too? If I don't go to the gym, what are some good home workouts to do? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right to get the results I want for weight loss.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    honestly, when you start out anything that you do will be (probably) fine. exercise is pretty individual, so try not to think of it as something you have to get totally right even before you begin. the best thing is to go ahead, pay attention to your body and your results, and then adjust for your personal self.

rest days between strength workouts are a good thing. that's about the only one that i feel pretty sure of.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    When is the best time to do strength training? In the morning, afternoon, or evening? Fast or have breakfast before strength training? What happens if u don't consume anything after the workout like if I did it before bed? I might as well ask same for cardio? I tend to do my cardio and not consume anything after until the next day. This a bad idea and I suppose it's a big reason y I'm always hungry and will sometimes end up over eating. Could I still do strength training everyday or is that bad too? If I don't go to the gym, what are some good home workouts to do? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right to get the results I want for weight loss.

Best time - when you have the most strength for it.
    If totally wiped after work - is that going to be a better workout than waking up early and doing it then?

Food before or not - depends on how it effects you.
    If bad low blood sugar when fasted - may not have the mental fortitude for a good workout. May need to eat something at some point prior.
    But if too much food makes you tired, or gut problems attempting to workout, that's not enough time.
    Balance and testing needed.

You gotten some great advice about lifting daily - reread the replies already giving that info.
    The purpose of the lifting is to damage the muscle to some degree.
    The rest is what allows it to recover and stronger if diet allows.
    Will daily for you allow this?

Something especially after lifting, before bed, with protein, will give the body something to recover with during the time it's attempting to do that recovery. Pretty sad if you didn't.

You have also missed the point in many of the posts about exercise and weight loss.

Diet is for weight loss, done right just fat loss, done wrong includes muscle mass.
    Exercise is for heart health and body transformation, done right helps fat only loss, done wrong helps lose muscle mass.

The only thing exercise helps with for diet, is allowing you to burn more calories then if you didn't do it - which of course means you can eat more, and that may help you adhere better to the diet, and sustain in maintenance.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited December 2017
    When is the best time to do strength training? In the morning, afternoon, or evening? Fast or have breakfast before strength training? What happens if u don't consume anything after the workout like if I did it before bed? I might as well ask same for cardio? I tend to do my cardio and not consume anything after until the next day. This a bad idea and I suppose it's a big reason y I'm always hungry and will sometimes end up over eating. Could I still do strength training everyday or is that bad too? If I don't go to the gym, what are some good home workouts to do? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right to get the results I want for weight loss.

Don't overcomplicate it. The best time is whatever works for you. There can be an ideal time where you feel the best, but that may not work for your schedule so you have to do what you can.

Some people like to train fasted, other people like to have some energy in their systems to lift best. I personally cannot lift on an empty stomach or I feel hungry and get a headache. Cardio is the same, whatever works.

And again, follow a program, it will tell you how often to work and when to take days off etc. Most beginner programs will not have you lifting everyday... either 3-4x per week depending on which one. Home workouts check out the link @heybales posted on the first page, "which lifting program is best for you" under bodyweight routines.

Rather than focus on all the little details, focus on the big things... your calorie goals, getting adequate nutrition, getting started and introducing yourself to lifting, focusing on a program (vs just doing random things).... being consistent over time is most important for results. And weight loss will come from being in a deficit, resistance training will help you retain muscle and have a positive impact on your body composition.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    @BlackPantherChick123 - like Miss Sardelsa stated, don't overthink this.

Get started on a program (I am doing Strong Lifts 5x5, find what works for you...lots of women do Strong Curves...) and follow it and let that become the habit. And, stick to that program. Program jumping is not going to help you all that much. So, what I mean, is if you are doing a program (like Strong lifts 5x5) and you are four weeks into it and you decide that you want to do another program.....you will never see the benefits of working a program.

But really focus on nutrition. That will be key.

Calories first and foremost. Don't get tooooo hung up on Macro breakdown (lots of people freak out over insignificant differences). Once you get into the habit of (potentially) eating a lot more food (hey, you would be surprised at how difficult it can be if you are used to 1,200 Calories and you are going to jump up to 1,900 calories) you can worry about Macro breakdown.

But, to sorta speak out of the other side of my mouth....do focus on getting enough protein. If you weigh 125 lbs then get about 115 - 125g of Protein everyday. This will help you tremendously.

Make sure to give your body time to recover. People often - especially here in the USA - overlook the importance of recovery. Especially as we get older (I am 50....guessing that you no where near that....but, still important for you).

Enjoy! This is really a life style change (for me, anyway....that is how I am approaching this). Have fun and enjoy all of the benefits of what you are doing. I really love my training sessions. I really look forward to a ton of different things about training. I hope that you come to enjoy this, too!