Options

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Ainar wrote: »
    I love asparagus. 100g has like 20 calories, that's not even enough to to brake a fast. 90% of them consists of indigestible fiber so the thing just goes through you without even being digested. And naturally since you can not even digest the thing your body can't absorb it and add it to fat stores.

It's food... it breaks your fast...
    I love asparagus. 100g has like 20 calories, that's not even enough to to brake a fast. 90% of them consists of indigestible fiber so the thing just goes through you without even being digested. And naturally since you can not even digest the thing your body can't absorb it and add it to fat stores.

@Ainar -- Fasting is a period of time of no eating (Several hours)
    To break a fast all you need to do is consume food.. It is not a certain amount of calories.

By "not gonna brake a fast" I did not meant an action of starting to ate but biological fasting state that body goes into after not consuming calories for a certain amount of time. 20 calories will not make you fall out of that state. So for us people who practice intermittent fasting for example it is literary free food that will not brake that fast.

Also just because something comes out the back end almost intact it doesn't mean it wasn't digested.
    Digestion starts by putting food into your mouth and chewing it, there is digestive enzymes in your saliva.

Secondly, Asparagus can very well be added as fat stores.. Anything you eat above your maintenance calories is stored as fat, regardless of how much of it comes out of your body at the end.
    That's not what I said. What I said is that dietary fiber (which is mostly what asparagus is made from) can not be digested and absorbed by the human body. That's just biological fact, look it up. Sure, you might chew the food making it into a mush. But the actual fiber molecules themselves can not be broken down because human body lacks necessary enzyme to do it and hence nutrients can not be extracted and absorbed.

And no, if you can't absorb it then it will not go to your fat stores...

Unless one is some kind of biology student they will not make a distinction between digestion process on mechanical level and chemical level. When the average person hears the word "not digested" they just think "oh, I just poop it out without absorbing it". Just as when the average person sees food called "dairy free avocado butter" they just think "oh, it's a creamy substance made mostly from avocados that you put on a bread like butter" not "I better go explain to everybody how it's wrong to call it butter cos there is no dairy in it"

Guys, you're now just being OCD about words like these grammar nazis on internet that start barking cos somebody forgot to put a comma at the right place lol wtf. :dizzy:

I've never fasted and am genuinely curious.

Can you tell me where's the line that triggers a break in a fast? At what calorie intake has one broken their fast?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Coffee.

Personally, I don't consider veg free foods, and I usually eat them with a meal anyway. I rarely snack, but on a rare occasion I might grab a pickle and not log it sometimes. (But it's not free, just sufficiently low cal that I wouldn't bother.) If the question is what foods are low cal, basically vegetables, but you all knew that.

IMO, any food breaks a fast, but since the deal with the IF kind of fasting is that some find it easier to hit a calorie number when limiting eating to a particular window (and not some special fasting state), then if it's low cal and doesn't trigger a desire to eat, whatever. (Kind of similar to me generally not snacking but for rare occasions.)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Black coffee or green/black tea or H2O.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll -- why? Cause magical Asparagus.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    If by magical you mean serious stinky business... then yeah...agreed... :tongue:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Pickles. Almond milk lattes with cinnamon. Herbal tea. Sliced and salted radishes. Korean roasted seaweed.

I also love adding mustard, lemon juice, or ginger to foods to give them more flavor.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Ahh.. i didn't realize i get to stink while i eat it.. excellent lol
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll -- why? Cause magical Asparagus.

I don't know how I managed to be obese while I ate asparagus. I guess I wasn't extra enough.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

No, you don't really stink. Just your pee.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Probably the number one reason why I highly dislike asparagus. My pee stinks for nearly 3 days afterwards. I just can't deal with that particular olfactory infringement.

I much prefer the fun of beetroots. Purple poo and pee :tongue:
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify: I also log anything with any calories, even a stalk of asparagus!
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    As a woman.. there is enough vaginal issues to deal with, i don't need to eat foods to make my pee stink on top of it hahaha
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    As a woman.. there is enough vaginal issues to deal with, i don't need to eat foods to make my pee stink on top of it hahaha

I always found that coffee gave me a problem with my pee having a smell too. Asparagus was just more distinctive.

I only eat asparagus when it's asparagus season, though. The fun thing is that when you've forgotten you've eaten it and then use the bathroom and are surprised by the smell and wonder what the hell happened.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Ahh.. i dont really drink coffee either, ive never noticed that.

I have a gross TMI story that i decided not to share.. but.. lol.. lets just say the odor alone from that experience is enough for me to not venture out to foods that remind me of that haha
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Probably the number one reason why I highly dislike asparagus. My pee stinks for nearly 3 days afterwards. I just can't deal with that particular olfactory infringement.

I much prefer the fun of beetroots. Purple poo and pee :tongue:

I once forgot in had eaten a whole jar of beetroot....the morning pee was a little heart stopping until it clicked.

That happened to me once. Freaked out for a second and then "oh."

I don't mind the asparagus smell. Fun fact, some people's genetics don't let them smell it. Maybe it also determines whether you find it bothersome. ;-)
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Not free but I love some fudgesicles. The name brand is no sugar added so they’re only 40 cal. I don’t rely notice a lack of sugar, it being chocolate and all. Oh, and you just split the twin package and eat one to be 40 cal.