Underweight girl trying to gain weight. Some advice would help!

Hi, I have always been a very skinny girl. And always being teased by my family and friends about it. My boyfriend doesn't mind me being skinny but he has been really concerned since he met me about my weight and lately he really suggest I gain some weight. I though about it and he's right. I should actually REALLY try to gain weight. So I downloaded this app and hoping it could guide me. Today is my first day and I've drank a cup of milk and was wondering what was a good lunch option. And I've been considering drinking protein shakes. Any recommendations from you guys would be great!! My goal is to gain atleast 10pounds by Christmas hoping my relatives stop teasing me about my weight. Currently I am 88pounds and 5'4 tall. So yeah...im really underweight. I dont really have anyone in real life to relate to about my weight problem. So i was hoping maybe in the forums there were such other people and we could support each other of it!!!

~Mya

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    10lbs in 3 weeks is unrealiatic. You want to aim for 0.5 to 1lb per week.

Peanut butter will help.

You might want to look into lifting too

Sixteen days, even

OP, just eat. Make sure you get to the calorie goal MFP suggests for you. Fat will help you out a lot as it's more calorie dense than carbs and protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    10lbs in 3 weeks is unrealiatic. You want to aim for 0.5 to 1lb per week.

Peanut butter will help.

You might want to look into lifting too

Sixteen days, even

OP, just eat. Make sure you get to the calorie goal MFP suggests for you. Fat will help you out a lot as it's more calorie dense than carbs and protein.

I'm so glad you corrected that... the most important part of the post... :huh:
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Strength training. Build muscle.
  • Myachan92
    Myachan92 Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm so sorry for setting such a ridiculous goal. I thought if I tried hard enough, it can happen. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

If you are going to do it, do it right the first time. Fast weight gain = fast fat gain. Go slowly and then follow a lifting program so you can gain some muscle and stay a bit more lean.This will ensure that your health doesn't suffer. The below thread is a good place to start, even if it's with body weight training

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    You said it was your first day and had a glass of milk and we're wondering about lunch. Was the milk your entire morning calories or was there more. I just am wondering if you are at least maintaining your current weight. Have you been tracking your weight on a regular basis? An important piece is logging food and weight so you can determine your baseline calories for maintenance and you adjust from that.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    jaciejaciexoxo Posts: 49 Member
    Myachan92 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for setting such a ridiculous goal. I thought if I tried hard enough, it can happen. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!!

Your goal is actually possible. My sister gained 7 lbs in one week after eating a ton and working out with a personal trainer. As the training gave her an appetite.

Look up brittney babes 21 day challenge it's $15 dollars if you want to get it. She has a version for weight gain, maintenance, and weight loss. Also try a weight gaining shake. But look at the ingredients bc they can be unhealthy. I'm just adding that bc if you exert energy you'll want to eat a lot more and in return you'll gain healthy weight and be toned instead of flabby.
  • Myachan92
    @psuLemon tbh I don't even know what right is. But after reading a lot of the replies and posts, i got an idea now. My bf also suggested I do some lifting! I will definitely take the advice. Tysm
  • Myachan92
    @Lounmoun Your post was really helpful. If i can progress just like your daughter did, my mom would be so proud.
    This is what i did the past 2 days. I tracked all my food and recorded my weight. And my appetite is really bad also. I can barely finish a kid pirtion of a meal. So I tried eating more often but in small portions these past days. My mfp suggested I eat atleast 1910 calories per day which is basically the normal amount for people. And I'm following that. I think that's what I should do xD
    And your shake recipe sounds delicious! I will definitely try that out. Once again your post helped me so much. Definitely boosted my motivation and confidence. Giving me hope it can actually happen
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Try getting as much exra fat in your diet as possible. Fat has 9 calories per gram as opposed to protein or carbs which only have 4. Things like butter, mayo, peanut butter, etc., could help.
  • rebcam1327
    rebcam1327 Posts: 5 Member
    try to add calories by eating healthy but calorie dense food. such as nuts, peanut butter and any nut butters, avocado :) gain weight in a healthy manner :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Your goal is actually possible. My sister gained 7 lbs in one week after eating a ton and working out with a personal trainer. As the training gave her an appetite.

Look up brittney babes 21 day challenge it's $15 dollars if you want to get it. She has a version for weight gain, maintenance, and weight loss. Also try a weight gaining shake. But look at the ingredients bc they can be unhealthy. I'm just adding that bc if you exert energy you'll want to eat a lot more and in return you'll gain healthy weight and be toned instead of flabby.

7lbs, most of which would have been water weight...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    @Lounmoun Your post was really helpful. If i can progress just like your daughter did, my mom would be so proud.
    This is what i did the past 2 days. I tracked all my food and recorded my weight. And my appetite is really bad also. I can barely finish a kid pirtion of a meal. So I tried eating more often but in small portions these past days. My mfp suggested I eat atleast 1910 calories per day which is basically the normal amount for people. And I'm following that. I think that's what I should do xD
    And your shake recipe sounds delicious! I will definitely try that out. Once again your post helped me so much. Definitely boosted my motivation and confidence. Giving me hope it can actually happen

Do you have your period? Sorry if this is off topic but I am just wondering if you have it at such a low weight? Some foods I loved for gaining are probars. Kind of expensive, but worth it if you can't eat large quantities. They are TINY and almost 400 calories. I spread 2tbsp peanut butter on them and BAM 600 calories for a tiny snack. So easy if you don't have any appetite.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    The hard gainer link posted above is an excellent place to start. I would add, make sure you are weighing and logging your food accurately! When I started using this app to gain weight, I realised I had been drastically over estimating what I was eating. Basically I wasn't eating enough ! I also have more success when I eat 5 or 6 small meals rather than 3 big ones as I can't manage large volumes of food but we're all different. Just make sure that what you're eating is calorie sense- full fat dairy , oils etc. Good luck!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I can only reiterate the advice you've already been given about calorie dense foods like, nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocado and even chocolate can help get your cals in, plus focusing on strength exercise rather than cardio.

I'm sorry your family have not been very supportive especially with the teasing, have you also tried consulting a doctor or professional about your weight I think it might be a good idea if you are very underweight to get some medical help to gain weight safely. x
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    @psuLemon tbh I don't even know what right is. But after reading a lot of the replies and posts, i got an idea now. My bf also suggested I do some lifting! I will definitely take the advice. Tysm

Start simple. All of those programs are effective. If you want glute focused than go for anything by Bret Contreras.