Trying to Get Swole, While losing Fat help!

Options
In the last 2 months Ive went from 293.8 to 267.6 pounds. I lift 6 days a week for about 1.5 hours and do 30 minutes to 60 minutes of Cardio. I currently eat 180-240 Grams of protein per day. Only ingest around 100 grams of Carbs and Close to minimal fat. Diet consists of 2-3 protein shakes per day. 4 - 5 packets of tuna. Low carb 60 calorie wheat wraps. Light string cheese and hot sauce. Sometimes i replace Tuna with Grilled chicken breast with no condiments because i avoid anything that has fats in at all costs. Any ideas on things that would help me gain muscle mass at a steady rate while still slowly burning fat without sacrificing the muscle i work so hard to gain daily?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Stop undereating calories. Fat and carbs don’t make you fat. You can’t gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Options
    At 267 lbs, you should be focused on fat loss which will reveal your muscle mass.. and if you lift peogressively, there is a chance you might gain a little muscle.. get on a solid routine. You dont need to be in the gym for 2.5 hours. That is going to work against you if you cant recover.

And dont be afraid of carbs or fat, they both have their benefits.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • cmay01262016
    cmay01262016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I havent had a problem so far woth everything, just need the pointers to help get the best results. I have a negative outlook though on the whole calorie thing, i feel like if i eat more calories im just gonna be counter productive on the work ive put in.
  • cmay01262016
    Options
    Stop undereating calories. Fat and carbs don’t make you fat. You can’t gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously.

How many calories do you think i should be ingesting to build muscle mass? I know overtime with all the lifting and cardio i do i will eventually be happy with my BFP but want to gain muscle consistently. According to the calorie calculator on here to lose weight it recommends 2540 calories a day for me.
  • psuLemon
    Options

How many calories do you think i should be ingesting to build muscle mass? I know overtime with all the lifting and cardio i do i will eventually be happy with my BFP but want to gain muscle consistently. According to the calorie calculator on here to lose weight it recommends 2540 calories a day for me.

You wont gain muscle consistently. Hell even in a surplus right now you wouldnt, as the more obese you are the more insulin resistant you are. And muscle gains favor the lean.

2500 calories might be right. I am around 2300 and 100 lbs less than you.
  • cmay01262016
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

You wont gain muscle consistently. Hell even in a surplus right now you wouldnt, as the more obese you are the more insulin resistant you are. And muscle gains favor the lean.

Well ive gained muscle since I started this whole thing though which doesnt seem to fit with what youre saying. Ive went up quite a few pounds on every lift. Gotten bigger arms (measure everything) but smaller waist. I guess what im truly going for is burning the fat without losing the muscle. Then ill go for a real bulk and gain alot more muscle. Maybe its because of how intense i work out. Follow alot of forums to build my workouts and things like that. What would you suggest to burn the fat to get to the point where i can bulk. I want to be fit at about 225 and train to power lift. Thank you btw for all the input it all helps just trying to tell you what ive done so far so you can understand where im coming from
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Well ive gained muscle since I started this whole thing though which doesnt seem to fit with what youre saying. Ive went up quite a few pounds on every lift. Gotten bigger arms (measure everything) but smaller waist. I guess what im truly going for is burning the fat without losing the muscle. Then ill go for a real bulk and gain alot more muscle. Maybe its because of how intense i work out. Follow alot of forums to build my workouts and things like that. What would you suggest to burn the fat to get to the point where i can bulk. I want to be fit at about 225 and train to power lift. Thank you btw for all the input it all helps just trying to tell you what ive done so far so you can understand where im coming from

The first step to fat loss is to control your calories. So start to track them daily and see over several weeks if you are losing weight and adjust as necessary. 2200 to 2500 may not be that bad of a place to start. I'd aim for at least 160g of protein. And fill in the rest with fats and carbs. As an FYI, carbs support muscle recovery and lifting since it's aneorobic. Bodybuilders cut carbs only when they are getting stage ready to deplete glycogen and water. Power lifts, don't do that as much.

If you do increase carbs, a few lbs of glycogen and water might come back. It's normal.

Also, a person can easily get stronger through adaptations in your central nervous system. Essentially, your muscles are forced to become more efficient. That can occur for while. Also, since you workout so much, it's probable that you have gained inches in your arms from being swole (you are carrying fluids in that area/swelling). And since you cut carbs, it's possible the glycogen depletion came from those areas.

Whether or not 225 is a good place to be will be determined by current body composition. It's possible you might have to cut down passed 200 and build up.

What does your current lifting program look like?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Here’s something to chew on... check Dwayne Johnson’s diet
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Here’s something to chew on... check Dwayne Johnson’s diet

Dieting as a natty and dieting on grams
    Of gear is ever soooooo slightly different
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Next thing you know, someone will say watch Phil Heath's diet and exercise.

I had a trainer once, after I questioned the workout, start talking about Jay Cutler...