Talk to me about belts?

Do I need one for squats and deadlifts?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    No. Especially if you are newer and wouldn't properly use it to get the benefit.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Not newer.

Does anyone have links to articles on the pros and cons and proper use?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Nah...

This article pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/do-you-really-need-a-lifting-belt
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    edited December 2017
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nah...

Proper bro science a bout weakening abs.
    A decent power belt will actually make your
    Abs work harder

I use mine for squats, dead’s and heavy ohp

If you’ve never worn one before they can
    Be painful, especially when breaking them in.
    Expect a few bruises and if you over tighten
    Possibly the odd cracked rib, not good at the bottom of a squat

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    it depends on what your goals with squats and deadlifts are. If you are going for 1rms, get a belt. If you are just doing general fitness , you probably don't need one.

Belts are a tool you use, you don't just wear a belt. You USE the belt.

anyhow, figure out your goals and if a belt is needed to go in that direction. I powerlift and wear my belt for all my compound movements, i put it on after my 2nd or 3rd warmup lift, thats around 30-40%. I dont have a weak core, and its not masking any weakness, but my core may be one of my weaker links and i wanna push heavy weight, the belt allows me to harness way more strength out of my core than i could without it.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited December 2017
    I agree with @SonyaCele and @watts6151. It does not "weaken" your core or some BS. Watch the following video for information on the Valsama Maneuver. It can be done without a belt but with one it can greatly aid your stability in compound lifts. This is something that is done for safety when working with higher weights. I use a 4" non-tapered 10mm belt on squats and deadlifts on all lifts over my bodyweight. I don't think its needed for lifts under my body weight, but most things are individual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1256&v=d8_1xq8c23c - belt discussed in depth at 20:46ish but whole video is good.
  • cwolfman13
    edited December 2017
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    it depends on what your goals with squats and deadlifts are. If you are going for 1rms, get a belt. If you are just doing general fitness , you probably don't need one.

anyhow, figure out your goals and if a belt is needed to go in that direction. I powerlift and wear my belt for all my compound movements, i put it on after my 2nd or 3rd warmup lift, thats around 30-40%. I dont have a weak core, and its not masking any weakness, but my core may be one of my weaker links and i wanna push heavy weight, the belt allows me to harness way more strength out of my core than i could without it.

But did you always wear a belt...or did you get your core trained up with those compound lifts without a belt. I'm pretty sure the article addresses wearing a belt if you're a competitive lifter...I don't see a ton of benefit for someone starting out with squats and deadlift who might already have a weak core...it would seem to me that they are better off developing the core without the belt and then wearing one when they get to higher weights or are looking to be a competitive lifter.

I would imagine as a power lifter you already developed your core over time...

I'm not a power lifter...I lift to supplement my fitness and I do squats and deads and have only used a belt when I'm doing a 1 RM and I need the support to move the weight. I'd say the vast majority of people don't get much, if any benefit from lifting with a belt.
  • cwolfman13
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I agree with @SonyaCele and @watts6151. It does not "weaken" your core or some BS. Watch the following video for information on the Valsama Maneuver. It can be done without a belt but with one it can greatly aid your stability in compound lifts. This is something that is done for safety when working with higher weights. I use a 4" non-tapered 10mm belt on squats and deadlifts on all lifts over my bodyweight. I don't think its needed for lifts under my body weight, but most things are individual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1256&v=d8_1xq8c23c - belt discussed in depth at 20:46ish but whole video is good.

Doesn't weaken an already strong core...but I could see it hindering core development for somebody who is not a seasoned lifter or doesn't have a strong core which I think was more to the point of the article.
  • watts6151
    edited December 2017

Doesn't weaken an already strong core...but I could see it hindering core development for somebody who is not a seasoned lifter or doesn't have a strong core which I think was more to the point of the article.

A belt allows The abs to generate more tension
    By providing external resistance.

A belt allows your midsection to work harder.
    Simply bracing for the lift works your abs

• Okiludy

Watch the video from the time stamp. You obviously skipped that part as it is the first thing you'll hear in that video.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele wrote: »

But did you always wear a belt...or did you get your core trained up with those compound lifts without a belt. I'm pretty sure the article addresses wearing a belt if you're a competitive lifter...I don't see a ton of benefit for someone starting out with squats and deadlift who might already have a weak core...it would seem to me that they are better off developing the core without the belt and then wearing one when they get to higher weights or are looking to be a competitive lifter.

I would imagine as a power lifter you already developed your core over time...

I'm not a power lifter...I lift to supplement my fitness and I do squats and deads and have only used a belt when I'm doing a 1 RM and I need the support to move the weight. I'd say the vast majority of people don't get much, if any benefit from lifting with a belt.

i was in decent shape when i started power lifting, but i never had a rock solid core like i do now. I was just doing general fitness, and i was basically healthy and in shape, but nothing special. I got my belt when i decided to focus on powerlifting and i started using it on day one. I only wear it for my compound lifts, and i do a ton of accessories exercises without it , including core isolation exercises at the end of every workout. If someone has a goal of going heavy whether they want to compete or not, a belt can be a good idea, its a tool that can take you to the next level. For general fitness, its not really necessary.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2017
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Nah...

Proper bro science a bout weakening abs.
    A decent power belt will actually make your
    Abs work harder

I use mine for squats, dead’s and heavy ohp

If you’ve never worn one before they can
    Be painful, especially when breaking them in.
    Expect a few bruises and if you over tighten
    Possibly the odd cracked rib, not good at the bottom of a squat

Mike Roberson, the author of the piece linked is one of the most respected human performance guys out there. You may have a different opinion, but he's hardly spewing bro-science.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    My preference is it is a good investment much like lifting shoes for the very small percentage of those who are serious about progressive strength training and/or competing on some level.

That being said, I also feel that training beltless certain ranges be it percentage or RPE based is a absolute up to a certain weight.

I believe Dr. Jordan Feigenbaum stating that once your get above 500lb area for deadlift there was a much higher risk for hernia injuries and the like, but I can't recall the wording exactly. This isn't meant to scare people into buying/using one just medical evidence he was stating the risk is higher.

I also concur that there are good/mediocre ones. Some are prebroken in and other are not. It's not a thing just to strap on and be bullet proof, but it is useful when utilized correctly.

I tore my intercostal rib muscle in the hole when squatting a few weeks before a meet breaking in a Inzer belt which is well known for taking many months to break. I'm considering either a SBD or Bob's single prong after my next meet.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I have an Inzer and absolutely love it. 9 months in using it maybe 3-4x month while still building belt less strength it’s still not fully broken in.

Not many cons I’d say, just don’t become reliant on it. I can squat and deadlift with or without. The stability and overall power increase is quite amazing though, purely by putting a sheet of leather over your core. When used properly you’ll be able to instantly increase reps and 1rm.

One thing I’ll never squat without again though is Knee sleeves.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Definitive guide: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/

Summary: if you are a reasonably serious strength athlete then yes, you should wear a belt.
  • watts6151
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    My preference is it is a good investment much like lifting shoes for the very small percentage of those who are serious about progressive strength training and/or competing on some level.

That being said, I also feel that training beltless certain ranges be it percentage or RPE based is a absolute up to a certain weight.

I believe Dr. Jordan Feigenbaum stating that once your get above 500lb area for deadlift there was a much higher risk for hernia injuries and the like, but I can't recall the wording exactly. This isn't meant to scare people into buying/using one just medical evidence he was stating the risk is higher.

I also concur that there are good/mediocre ones. Some are prebroken in and other are not. It's not a thing just to strap on and be bullet proof, but it is useful when utilized correctly.

I tore my intercostal rib muscle in the hole when squatting a few weeks before a meet breaking in a Inzer belt which is well known for taking many months to break. I'm considering either a SBD or Bob's single prong after my next meet.

Inzer use a thin piece of robus leather glued
    To the main leather which keeps it stiff and makes it hard to Break in, mine is several years old and still not totally broken in.

The sbd belt has the best leaver, the actual
    Belt construction is 3 separate pieces of leather
    Of different quality All glued together. Your certainly paying for the name more than the actual quality

Personally the pioneer belts are the best quality,
    There all individually hand made and can be customised to your own spec
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Inzer use a thin piece of robus leather glued
    To the main leather which keeps it stiff and makes it hard to Break in, mine is several years old and still not totally broken in.

The sbd belt has the best leaver, the actual
    Belt construction is 3 separate pieces of leather
    Of different quality All glued together. Your certainly paying for the name more than the actual quality

Personally the pioneer belts are the best quality,
    There all individually hand made and can be customised to your own spec

I would use the SBD for squats and I like the the lever is adjustable on the fly. I don't think SBD or any blelt is magic, it just felt slightly better compared to others.

I would use Bob's for deads and bench. I like them slightly better than Pioneer but both are customized and handmade to buyer's spec. It's just my preference for a single prong.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Not newer.

Does anyone have links to articles on the pros and cons and proper use?

I don't think you'll find one with a better title than The Belt Bible.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/
  • Okiludy
    edited December 2017
    I have only used the crap belts in the gym and my Titan Longhorn single prong. The Longhorn at 10mm did not seem to have a real break in period. It was good the first time I used it. I would buy from them again but I don't see the need as my belt is going to last for years and years.

If I did buy a new belt I don't know if I would get a lever. They look nice for putting on and off but I like the huge amount of adjustability on a single prong. The waist range is pretty large and I could gain or lose 6" on waist and it would likely work with no further adjustments.

Really the only reason for me to get another belt is to have it customized.

Oh if looking at a belt do not buy a double prong. They offer no more strength and are a pain to put on and take off.
  • SonyaCele
    i have the single prong 10mm inzer, i love it.