Talk to me about belts?

Options
2»

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a belt while lifting.

.... but if I did, I would insist that it matched my shoes.

Just curious, does Versace make lifting belts? (asking for a friend)
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Versace, I don't think so but you likely could get a purple alligator skin, gold trim, "Pimp Game" embroidered and a unicorn looking in an indiscreet direction..... or something as "interesting" B)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

What’s the fun in that? I have a full black belt with white lifters, that have neon yellow trim, and bright purple laces. Often in combination with my watermelon shirt in my profile pic. It’s about having fun! Plus wearing all that and lifting some alright weight is pretty comical.

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've been competing for almost 10 years and have a variety of belts. My current favourite for ease of use is my Wahlander. Having said that, I train predominantly beltless until I get fairly heavy. That's just my preference though.
  • jessef593
    Options
    I've been competing for almost 10 years and have a variety of belts. My current favourite for ease of use is my Wahlander. Having said that, I train predominantly beltless until I get fairly heavy. That's just my preference though.

I like seeing everyone’s preferences for belts and in regards to if the train mostly with or without a belt. I personally like to train mostly with one. From a volume capability standpoint. But enjoy reaching new strengths without one
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’ll go belt less up to 400lb on squats
    And dead’s, next warm up set is 485lb
    That’s when the belt goes on for me
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

I like seeing everyone’s preferences for belts and in regards to if the train mostly with or without a belt. I personally like to train mostly with one. From a volume capability standpoint. But enjoy reaching new strengths without one

I'm not even sure why I prefer mostly beltless. It may be nothing more than laziness. However, I'll put a belt on for deads at a lower percentage than squat.

Someone mentioned knee sleeves and I wish I never started using them. Now I feel like I can't squat without them. It's like my knees don't know what to do anymore.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use a belt when going heavy. It helps keep my form.
    Also since I've had my baby my core is super weak. I can't go heavy without it right now. But that's the only time i use it, during max weight or 85% + of max.
  • jessef593
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

I'm not even sure why I prefer mostly beltless. It may be nothing more than laziness. However, I'll put a belt on for deads at a lower percentage than squat.

Someone mentioned knee sleeves and I wish I never started using them. Now I feel like I can't squat without them. It's like my knees don't know what to do anymore.

I completely agree. But it just feels so good with them on. I used to have a nagging hip flexor issue leading right to my knee. A week after starting wear them it was almost completely gone. So I can say I’ll never go back.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i love my knee sleeves and never squat or DL without them. I get such a better work out , if i didn't wear them i wouldn't be able to do as much and i'd go home with achy knees. There isn't anything wrong with wearing gear to help us get a better workout than we would otherwise.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I have a 3-way ligament tear in my left knee. Always wore a knee sleeve or wrap around the knee when doing DLs or SQTs b4 but, one day, decided to try lifting w/o it. Discovered that it didn't need it. So, I don't wear it any more.

Not so my lifting belt. Strained my right SI joint squatting (w/bad form) several years ago and it still bothers me. I've tried but can't lift as well w/o the belt. So, I'll just continue using it.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    No belt, wrist wraps, knee sleeves, elbow sleeves or straps for me yet, but I am not lifting that heavy compared to the competition lifters. Just lots of chalk.

Squats - 110 kg (242 lbs)
    Bench Press - 62.5 kg (137.5 lbs)
    Barbell Row - 72.5 kg (159.5 lbs)
    Overhead Press - 42.5 kg (93.5 lbs)
    Deadlift - 125 kg (275 lbs)
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I wear a belt for squats, and keep it on (though not nearly as tight) for the rest of the workout just to keep my lower back warm and loose.
  • jessef593
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    No belt, wrist wraps, knee sleeves, elbow sleeves or straps for me yet, but I am not lifting that heavy compared to the competition lifters. Just lots of chalk.

Squats - 110 kg (242 lbs)
    Bench Press - 62.5 kg (137.5 lbs)
    Barbell Row - 72.5 kg (159.5 lbs)
    Overhead Press - 42.5 kg (93.5 lbs)
    Deadlift - 125 kg (275 lbs)

Impressive girl! Keep up the good work. I’ve got buddies who focus on purely hypertrophy with numbers lower than yours. That 95lb OH press is especially awesome.