New Years Resolution: no more diet drinks

2»

Replies

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    It's so hard! I cut out soda/crystal light/MIO blah blah blah over 18 months ago. Now, I have one glass of diet sweet tea a day. It still has artificial sweetener but I figure one glass a day is better than my crazy soda/sugary drink obsession.

But to the person that mentioned Fresca - UGH I'm so mad at you. I LOVE Fresca and haven't thought about it in years.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    What a bizarre reason to cut out something.

They do make infusion water bottles where you can add your own fruit/veggies/herbs to flavor your water. But I don't see an anti-Trump diet resolution being very successful.
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    For me diet drinks make me crave sweet things. I would also get a headache within 10 minutes of drinking Diet Coke--I loved that stuff. Despite the headaches for negative feedback it took me 6 months to finally quit drinking it. Now I drink Lacroix on occasion and lots of water and unsweet tea. Don't miss it.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

They do make infusion water bottles where you can add your own fruit/veggies/herbs to flavor your water. But I don't see an anti-Trump diet resolution being very successful.

I don't know. It makes a lot of people (myself included) lose their appetite.

Same. Diet soda (caffeinated) has never made me crave anything, let alone sweets. I can drink it when I get nibblely and be fine for a while longer. I realize it's not that way for everyone. But, thankfully, for me, diet soda doesn't equal sweets cravings.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Idk. I like diet pop, I like WINNING and I can’t understand what this has to do with the President.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Same. Diet soda (caffeinated) has never made me crave anything, let alone sweets. I can drink it when I get nibblely and be fine for a while longer. I realize it's not that way for everyone. But, thankfully, for me, diet soda doesn't equal sweets cravings.

LOL I meant that Trump might make people lose their appetite!

Diet soda for me is neutral. It quenches my thirst but has no impact on hunger or cravings. As a zero calorie beverage it fits nicely between coffee, lots of water, and a glass or two of wine.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    krist3ng wrote: »
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    Try Dasani sparkling water, they aren't sweetened. Coke Freestyle machines have the Lime flavor and you can buy the other flavors in cans at the grocery store. I'm partial to the Tropical Pineapple. I dislike La Croix so was pleasantly surprised when I tried the Dasani and like it a lot.

I've also found buying cans/glass bottles of what I want to drink also helps with portion control.

I didn’t know that about the coke machines— I will check that out!!!

Haha unfortunately I love the feeling of cracking open a can of soda too much... whenever I buy those 12-packs of soda I just drink them all in a row :disappointed:

(Not a huge lacroix fan either but I might come around on it)

If you are drinking a 12 pack a day, that is definitely an expensive habit. There is no reason to cut it out entirely, but if you want to challenge yourself, why not set up some rules to get it under control? Like if you just had a soda, you must drink a glass of water before having another? Or only put 3 cans in the fridge before you go to bed and leave the rest warm. Or you only drink them at home. Or you never drink them at home. :)

If the bubbles are the important part, sparkling water might help as an occasional sub as well. If sweetness is part of the pull, I find unsweetened mint tea a good choice, the mint makes it sweet without any sweetener.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Ok, now you guys have me craving diet cherry Dr. Pepper.

• Wynterbourne

LOL I meant that Trump might make people lose their appetite!

Diet soda for me is neutral. It quenches my thirst but has no impact on hunger or cravings. As a zero calorie beverage it fits nicely between coffee, lots of water, and a glass or two of wine.

Oh, yes, definitely. LOL
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    edited December 2017
    I tried to give up artificial sweeteners thinking they were making me gain weight. I bought into the "it's not good for you" drivel. So I tried LA Croix water: tastes like crap. Seltzer water is awful. Putting fruit in water is stupid: it tastes like fruit in water. Skip it. Give me my diet Crush packets and Crystal Light-- that stuff is delicious! It doesn't cause me cravings, and I drink a ton of water with it. I did give up maltodextren (in Splenda) because it did make me hungry, but the other sweeteners, hand 'em over: I'm drinking them! I've looked up the glycemic index of the various artificial sweeteners so I can keep from shooting my blood sugars through the roof. Swerve and Truvia are yummy, no aftertaste, and help me get in my fluids so that's where I'm at. I'm not much of a soda drinker, so it's been pretty easy to enjoy my diet drinks on the cheap.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017

I cut out overcooked steak with ketchup on it, but luckily I never consumed that anyway, because ick.

Edit: heh, I see someone beat me to it. ;-)
  • Wynterbourne
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I cut out overcooked steak with ketchup on it, but luckily I never consumed that anyway, because ick.

Edit: heh, I see someone beat me to it. ;-)

*Looks around innocently*
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    For me diet drinks make me crave sweet things. I would also get a headache within 10 minutes of drinking Diet Coke--I loved that stuff. Despite the headaches for negative feedback it took me 6 months to finally quit drinking it. Now I drink Lacroix on occasion and lots of water and unsweet tea. Don't miss it.

Diet soda never did that to me, but it turns out tea with black pecoe (sp) does it for me. Took me forever to figure out why I get headaches from some teas and not others :/
  • Momepro
    If you are also cutting out caffeine, or soda is your main source of caffeine, be aware that there is a 1-2 week withdrawal period for caffeine, which generally includes feeling tired and lots of headaches, including migraines. When go through a non caffeine kick, I've discovered it works out better to substitute NODoze for a few days, gradually lowering your dose every couple days until you are forgetting it. Cuts WAY back on the caffeine headaches.
  • Momepro
    edited December 2017
    Artificial sweetners aside, after he started getting kidney stones my husband's Dr made him cut WAY back on sodas because they can cause deposits or something.
    He does seem to get stones within a couple weeks whenever he decides he is going to ignore that advice and start drinking it again. But he hates the taste of artificial sweetener, so he goes full sugar on the stuff.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I guess everyone is different.
    At first I went cold turkey with diet Pepsi. After a while, because of things that people brought up on this site, I went back to drinking it. I found out, that for me, the sweetness offers a great substitute to overindulging in higher calorie sweets. I tried the sparkling flavored waters, but have had to face the reality, that I just don't care for them. A waste of money for me, I would rather have plain water, filtered through my Britta water pitcher. Whatever works.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Idk. I like diet pop, I like WINNING and I can’t understand what this has to do with the President.

I think I said in some other comment, the news of Trump's soda drinking habits led to my newsfeed showing me a bunch of articles about how too much Diet Coke leads to dementia and diabetes. Which... I would rather not get. But I guess if they said Obama drank 12 sodas a day I'd be less worried lol

(sorry I was tired when I wrote first comment)