How carefully should I log oil?

When cooking with oils does some of it cook off/evaporate? I usually marinade my 1 lb of chicken in half a tablespoon of olive oil, lemon & garlic. Do I need to log the oil as well?

Replies

• beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Yes. Most of that oil will be spread over the surface of the chicken.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Oil has calories so of course it should be logged. Just log the amount you use.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    In regard to the question whether oil will cook off/evaporate, cooking oils and fats will reach the smoke point long before the fat or oil evaporates. Non-clarified butter that still contains some proteins from milk has the lowest smoke point at 200-250*F. Other fats and oils reach their smoke point higher than 350-450*F. Source: https://www.thespruce.com/smoking-points-of-fats-and-oils-1328753

You will smell the burnt fats and oil long before any of it evaporates.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Every calorie counts, but also everything is also an estimate and I just can't be caught up in the tiny details. If you find that you aren't losing weight, I would re-evaluate and tighten up.

^^^ IMO this...

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I always log the oils. There are over 100 calories in a tablespoon of olive oil. It adds up. And if you are only on a 250 calorie deficit per day not logging your tsp.of oil everyday could mean you don't lose or not as fast.
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Even if every bit of that half tablespoon actually stayed on the chicken, we are talking 4 calories per ounce. I would probably just round up on my calorie value for the chicken.

Oil has far more calories in it than that. As others have mentioned, half a tablespoon is easily close to 70-80 calories.

• whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Half a tablespoon is probably around 60-80 calories. You don't need to log anything if you don't want to just make sure you're actually measuring out half of a tablespoon with a measuring spoon. Not sure why you wouldn't log it tho.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I log calories of oil (using a measuring spoon). If you find you're losing weight without logging the oil, don't worry about it. If you're stalling, be more diligent. Water evaporates, oil does not.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Even if every bit of that half tablespoon actually stayed on the chicken, we are talking 4 calories per ounce. I would probably just round up on my calorie value for the chicken.

Oil has far more calories in it than that. As others have mentioned, half a tablespoon is easily close to 70-80 calories.

120 calories per TBSP. A pound of chicken is 16 ounces.

120/2=60

60/16= 3.75

So just about 4 calories per ounce of eaten chicken.
  • J72FIT

120/2=60

60/16= 3.75

^^^This, context...

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    But is that pound raw or cooked? Bone in or fillet? 16 oz of raw chicken bone in, will not yield 16 oz of cooked meat. But the amount of oil won't shrink or be absorbed by the bone.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Ha ha. MFP. Where little things mean a lot.

I think with a marinade, I would just not use oil. Oil isn't a necessary marinade ingredient. I'd use just the lemon and spices.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Extremely carefully. Oil is calorically expensive.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

120/2=60

60/16= 3.75

^^^This, context...

It still adds up. She may use oil or butter in other instances and not log it. If she's logging everything else what is the reason to NOT log the oil? It takes 5 seconds to do it.
  • J72FIT
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »

120/2=60

60/16= 3.75

^^^This, context...

It still adds up. She may use oil or butter in other instances and not log it. If she's logging everything else what is the reason to NOT log the oil? It takes 5 seconds to do it.

Like a poster above said, if you're not losing then tighten things up. Why log the minutia if you don't have to. That said, by all means log if you do have to...
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Thanks everyone! I’ll continue to log it