Are there any excuses?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The critical aspect is how you deal with ignorance. Do you learn, adapt, change, and overcome? If not, why not?

There's a great deal of misinformation out there. People can try to educate themselves and wind up addicted to sugar and needing to do a one footed keto detox while listening to hippies signing about the devil's gluten.

I agree and truth is a tremendous threat to those providing the misinformation. The diet industry would take a serious hit if people simply ate less and moved more.

It is very challenging to find truth. It is relatively easy to find what is not true however.

The allure of quick and easy will often override slow and disciplined.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    I have the eating part figured out so my excuses are Scotch, wine and beer. If I run 25 miles a week I can overcome my excuses.

I'm the same except bourbon or vodka instead of Scotch...and replace running with cycling at least 50-60 miles per week if not more...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    I have the eating part figured out so my excuses are Scotch, wine and beer. If I run 25 miles a week I can overcome my excuses.

Those aren't excuses, but necessities. One does not make excuses for the divine.

We run to deserve Scotch.

I have this jersey...

03ee744dd7473827c871535dd5868fd0--biking-cycling.jpg
  • judymata
    judymata Posts: 42 Member
    I think we all have "excuses". I think for me mine has always been mental. I have always been petite and curvy and no matter what I did the weight would not come off, then I got to a point where I wasn't eating at all and hiding it from my family. I got married and "settled" into married life and gained the majority of my weight there and got to a point within myself that I gave up on life and myself due to being in a horrible marriage. Life will always happen and we have a choice of wanting to stay stagnant, feel miserable or wanting to make a change. I want to live my best life and enjoy it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    The critical aspect is how you deal with ignorance. Do you learn, adapt, change, and overcome? If not, why not?

There's a great deal of misinformation out there. People can try to educate themselves and wind up addicted to sugar and needing to do a one footed keto detox while listening to hippies signing about the devil's gluten.

I agree and truth is a tremendous threat to those providing the misinformation. The diet industry would take a serious hit if people simply ate less and moved more.

It is very challenging to find truth. It is relatively easy to find what is not true however.

The allure of quick and easy will often override slow and disciplined.

I think this is part of the key issue with the preponderance and perpetuation of misinformation. It feeds into what people want to believe.

If I told you cutting your arm off would make you should and muscular, even if you believed me you wouldn't do it. But if I said people get fat because they don't eat enough and potato chips and iced cream are the answer to take you out of starvation mode, well, people already believe that.

And it's not even just weight loss. My brother died and I need money to get to his funeral, want to buy his Rolex for $50? People fall for things that are too good to be true.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    my "excuse/reason" was always very simple, I didn't like myself enough to take care of myself, I still don't, though I try to convince myself that if I eat well and exercise- that is the bigger helper- I'll feel better over all.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    I have been putting a lot of thought into my own journey lately.

I seem to always have to be in the process of out smarting myself. I never create forum threads about my own issues.. simply because I have been here long enough to know the consequences of all my own actions be it struggling with my eating disorder or not counting calories for days or weeks.. etc.

I am always trying to find a way to get out of the spinning in circles I keep doing. I just can never figure out if it's not working cause it doesn't work or if I'm just not trying hard enough to make it work. In the end my excuse is always just "me" .. regardless of its the binge eating disorder or emotional eating or just plain old not caring the excuse is just me. I know I'm strong enough to fight harder. I know I'm capable of losing weight. I just need to allow myself to do that again.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    "I'm not really fat, just thick and curvy" was the way I rationalized my weight gain. And to be honest, the only real thing that got me serious about losing weight was my age (38) and not wanting to slowly put weight on and get fat. I've lost 20 "vanity" pounds and I must say that "looking better" honestly supersedes the "health" aspect of my weight. Totally a mental thing in my own head.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    "I'm not really fat, just thick and curvy" was the way I rationalized my weight gain. And to be honest, the only real thing that got me serious about losing weight was my age (38) and not wanting to slowly put weight on and get fat. I've lost 20 "vanity" pounds and I must say that "looking better" honestly supersedes the "health" aspect of my weight. Totally a mental thing in my own head.

Vanity pounds are a perfectly legitimate reason to lose weight :) I think any reason is legitimate, as long as it's your reason and not something imposed on you from outside. Health and fitness, vanity, want to fit in the cute clothes again, all the reasons are equal in my mind. I hate posts that preach that "you should be losing weight for health reasons" when someone posts they want to rock a bikini on vacation.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Hmm.. I had thousands of excuses. I was never taught about calories and I guess I never bothered to look for real answers until I was actually ready. It took me a while to find MFP. Googling "losing weight" doesn't always come up with the best results, you get fads, and "quick fixes" but not a lot of people are talking about the true way, or shall I say, the way that doesn't make them any money.

If someone doesn't actually know about calories they're going to have tons of excuses. It's easy to blame weight gain on hormones or medication when you don't know how it actually works.

But if someone has all the tools then I can't really accept their excuse. Especially now. I'm the laziest person ever lol and I did it just fine.

I have a friend who is getting close to 300lbs that uses the excuse "I don't have the time", "it's too much work", etc even tho I have shown with my 79lb weight loss that it's possible and so so easy. I worry for her, she's my family. I'm not sure when it'll click for her. I have given her all the tools and now it's up to her but it's really hard to almost be at my goal and have her complain about her weight every time we see each other. Almost like she's mad at me.

Excuses are just that, excuses.