Calories burned on stationary bikes

Options
I just finished 12 minutes on my exercise bike with a distance of 2.92 miles. The built-in computer tells me that amounts to 76.1 calories burned but when I log my details into online calculators the results are much higher (143 calories). I know the bike doesn't take my stats (height, weight etc.) into consideration but that's such a big difference so I'm not sure which result to rely on.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    76cals sounds pretty reasonable. 143 seems fairly high to me.

The bike knows the activity that you're doing, which on stationary exercise machines, is more important than is your particular stats.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Height isn't relevant and weight is only has a small relevance on an exercise bike that's why your bike doesn't ask for them.
    Remember it's not a weight bearing exercise.
    (Pro cyclists tend to be far lighter than me and burn twice as many calories as I can.)

Miles aren't a good measure for an indoor bike either as you aren't actually going anywhere and there's not a universal standard, it will vary from machine to machine.

Your fitness, intensity and endurance are the big factors.

Does your bike display power output (in watts) as you can easily and reliably convert that to calories.

• AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Does your bike display power output (in watts) as you can easily and reliably convert that to calories.
    No it doesn't, is there a device I can purchase separately and attach to my bike to measure watts?
  • sijomial
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »
    No it doesn't, is there a device I can purchase separately and attach to my bike to measure watts?

There is but very expensive - you would need to be a serious cyclist to justify the expense.
    Power meter equipped indoor trainers are becoming more common all the time.

Unless you do a lot of cycling (hours and hours) I would simply go by your bike's estimate.

You can try to "calibrate yourself" to get an idea of your capabilities - use a Concept2 rower or run on level ground as two examples.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    There are devices you can buy and attach to measure power (watts) but they'll cost $500 or more. They're fantastically useful for fitness purposes, but probably overkill for weight management.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If it's any help......2.92 miles over 12 minutes is just under 15mph/24kmh which is pretty close to my average speed during a commute. I have a power meter on my bike and I'm assuming I'm heavier than you (weight is not really a factor unless you're climbing a lot of hills) and I burn about 17cal per km at that speed on a relatively flat route (2.92 miles is about 4.7km which would be approx 80 cal) so I'd go with the lower number.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I did one hour and 45 minutes on a trainer last night and the meter read that I had burned 765 calories.

I have no idea if that's correct.

average watts? dunno, probably in the low 100's but also pushing up into the 200's at times

12 minutes? yeah, go with the lower number of approx. 75 total calories burned.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I don't track the distance I do on the bike, but my last couple of workouts my Apple Watch gave me 89 calories for 17 minutes and 92 calories for 15 minutes. My bike's display usually roughly agrees with the watch. So yeah, 76 calories for 12 minutes sounds reasonable. I recently switched from running to the indoor bike and am still getting used to the lower calorie/minute burn myself. I wouldn't bother with a power meter, just use your bike's numbers.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    12 mins is 1/5th an hr. 76x5=380 cals/hr. 143x5=715 cals/hr.

You'd have to be spinning at a fairly high level of effort to burn 715 cals/hour.

There should be at least some shortness of breath, difficulty talking and sweating involved and your HR should be somewhat elevated.

This describes my experience when I row at a rate of 675-725 cals/hr on my Concept2, which is currently my normal pace.

On the other hand, 380 cals/ hour is pretty much a walk in the park. You shouldn't be breathing hard, should be able to talk easily, shouldn't break a sweat and your heart rate should hardly budge.

OP: Go w/the description best fits your experience in order to choose which cal estimate to use.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If it's any help......2.92 miles over 12 minutes is just under 15mph/24kmh which is pretty close to my average speed during a commute. I have a power meter on my bike and I'm assuming I'm heavier than you (weight is not really a factor unless you're climbing a lot of hills) and I burn about 17cal per km at that speed on a relatively flat route (2.92 miles is about 4.7km which would be approx 80 cal) so I'd go with the lower number.

That's really helpful, thanks!
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Height isn't relevant and weight is only has a small relevance on an exercise bike that's why your bike doesn't ask for them.
    (Pro cyclists tend to be far lighter than me and burn twice as many calories as I can.)

Miles aren't a good measure for an indoor bike either as you aren't actually going anywhere and there's not a universal standard, it will vary from machine to machine.

How do you convert the watts to calories burned?
  • sijomial
    edited December 2017
    Options

@livenfree45

As the efficiency ratio (of converting energy to power) of experienced cyclists is in quite a narrow range around 24% lot of the complexity of the full equation can be cancelled out and boiled down to....

Watts x 3.6 per hour.
    So an hour of cycling at an average of 200w burns 720 net calories.

Here's a link that explains in much more detail
    http://mccraw.co.uk/powertap-meter-convert-watts-calories-burned/
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options

@livenfree45

As the efficiency ratio (of converting energy to power) of experienced cyclists is in quite a narrow range around 24% lot of the complexity of the full equation can be cancelled out and boiled down to....

Watts x 3.6 per hour.
    So an hour of cycling at an average of 200w burns 720 net calories.

Here's a link that explains in much more detail
    http://mccraw.co.uk/powertap-meter-convert-watts-calories-burned/

thank you
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Distance doesn't matter. What matters is time and resistance. On a regular bike you could ride downhill and burn few calories, but ride the same distance uphill in the same amount of time and you would burn a lot. People on stationary bikes tend to think they are burning more than they are. But using resistance and cadence there is enough information for a stationary bike to calculate calories burned.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »
    I just finished 12 minutes on my exercise bike with a distance of 2.92 miles. The built-in computer tells me that amounts to 76.1 calories burned but when I log my details into online calculators the results are much higher (143 calories). I know the bike doesn't take my stats (height, weight etc.) into consideration but that's such a big difference so I'm not sure which result to rely on.

Using time as a measure, I'd go with a rough estimate of 400 calories per hour ... therefore 12 minutes could be about 80 calories. If your built-in computer told you 76, I'd go with that.

• laura2137
    laura2137 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For 10 minutes my bike says 77 calories
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    For 15 minutes Apple Watch says ~50 calories. The bike is usually estimating higher. I tend to believe the Watch is closer. For My 15 minute ‘don’t be a sloth at home’ rides usually bike resistance is about 1/2 way up to max, I could hold conversation but not easily, and my heart rate is at about same as very fast walk. I’m very short tho, and my calorie burns are pitiful.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    stationary bikes like the Keiser used for spin classes measures watts and converts that to calories. This measure is more accurate.
    Stationary bikes that report a distance aren't that accurate.