Cardio motivation!!

Hey hey! Cardio to me is more like cardi-NO cause I hateeee it. I much rather just lift, but I feel like I need to do more than cardio for a warm up when I’m at the gym.. thoughts on that??

Anyone have any fun cardio exercises they do that aren’t as boring?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    You just need to be warmed up. How you do that/get there is up to you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I ride a bike and ski cross country. These are both intense cardio workouts, and if anybody can be bored doing either, well, I'm not going to be rude...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    If you don't like cardio, you don't need to do that much of it to stay healthy. I try and stick to the American Heart Association guidelines - 150 minutes a week of moderate intensity exercise or 70 minutes high intensity. I walk at least 150 minutes a week just parking 10 minutes away from work, but I've also found that starting the day with 15-25 minutes of higher intensity exercise really gets my energy going. I find circuit and interval training to be fun and challenging enough to keep me going so that's what I do, but there are just so many options out there it's hard to say what you'd like the best. Maybe set yourself a challenge to try one new thing a week until you find something you want to stick to?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Jazzercize.
  • aboston5
    aboston5 Posts: 7 Member
    Body combat!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What do you mean that you "feel like" you need more than cardio to warm up but you want more ideas of different types of cardio to do?
    I like about 5-10 min of cardio and 5-10 min light bodyweight exercises (lunges, squats, torso rotations) to warm up for a weights session. Cardio machines aren't that exciting to me but 5-10 min isn't a huge amount of time.
    Some people on here go straight to weights and do a few warmup sets at 25-50% 1RM for each lift.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2017

Not quite sure what you are getting at as it seems to be in two parts.
    You don't need a cardio warmup before lifting, some people like to and some people don't. Just do warm up sets if you don't want to warm up with cardio, it's not compulsory!

My fun cardio is cycling in beautiful countryside. It used to be squash. Before that it was rugby. Before that it was football.

Are there sports you enjoy? Or dance? Hard to guess what someone else likes.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Personally I go for swimming or row machinea if I really need to. But foe me, circuit training is also pretty good at Keelung my heart rate up on it's own.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    You don't need to use cardio to warm up for lifting. Personally, I do 15 reps with bar, then move into my working sets.

My cardio motivation is training for two series of 5k-10k in 2018... twelve prepaid race fees are pretty good motivation to get my butt running, even on cold days.