Any Vegans

Dropping a thread to see if there are any vegans on here with the same goals of showing the world vegans have what it takes to compete and show the world how underestimated their opinions are.

I’m 27 and have great genetics this is the first time I’ve been lifting since going vegan 3years ago.

What kind of hurtles have you seen? Any advice?

Replies

• ejikslonik
    ejikslonik Posts: 10 Member
    Hi! I’m vegan, trying to transform into more fit body and have a 6 pack. Seems like building a muscle isn’t an issue, I’m struggling with weight loose... not that I have too much to lose just a couple of inches but it is still a struggle
  • rawvegpower
    rawvegpower Posts: 19 Member
    Sounds like you are well on your way to getting there. The more research I do the more I find that there is no one “Right” way, everyone is different. But what is clear is if you have that clean vision and are willing to experiment you will have that fit bod you desire.

Keep it up!
  • DrawAlien
    DrawAlien Posts: 1 Member
    The problem I am having as a vegan is hitting my calories on a bulk. I'm only aiming for 2200 but my meals just aren't enough, and I am eating 4-5 times a day as it is. Anyone have any go to meals?
  • the_reserve
    the_reserve Posts: 3 Member
    Hey guys non-vegan but I'm planning to start lifting in 2018 after about 3 months more of maintaining a deficit. I want to introduce all my extra calories (1000+ a day i need to add on compared to my deficit days) as vegan calories. DrawAlien i haven't got much experience but I would recommend some fats because they are very calorie dense.
  • rawvegpower
    I’m having a hard time keeping to the 2800 I’ve alloted.
    A simple meal that is my go to lunch is a cup of basmati rice and one whole package of tofu(1lb)with a light marenade for flavor. that meal is just over 1000cal.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Just a question out of curiosity

How do vegans go about getting/combining your
    Protein sources to get enough EEA ?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »

For vegans who are eating a varied diet, this typically isn't a concern.

I've been tracking on a site that breaks everything down by amino acids for several months now and I've never had a period where I wasn't getting what I need -- this without paying any particular attention to it beyond getting sufficient protein. I would say that lysine is the only amino acid that typically requires any thought. Vegans who eat soy, beans, or seitan are usually getting enough. For raw/high raw vegans or vegans who avoid soy, beans, and seitan, it may need attention.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2017

I've been tracking on a site that breaks everything down by amino acids for several months now and I've never had a period where I wasn't getting what I need -- this without paying any particular attention to it beyond getting sufficient protein. I would say that lysine is the only amino acid that typically requires any thought. Vegans who eat soy, beans, or seitan are usually getting enough. For raw/high raw vegans or vegans who avoid soy, beans, and seitan, it may need attention.
    I strongly disagree
    The three amino acids that promote the process of muscle synthesis are leucine, isoleucine, and valine.

In fact, without leucine, muscle synthesis cannot take place.

To quote the amino acid guide...
    Leucine, the strongest of the BCAAs, is responsible for the regulation of blood-sugar levels, the growth and repair of tissues in skin, bones and of course skeletal muscle.

It's a strong potentiator to Human Growth Hormone (HGH). It helps in healing wounds, regulating energy, and assists in the preventing the breakdown of muscle tissue.
    If one doesn't consume enough leucine more protien may be needed to be sufficient.
  • WatchitBeginAgain
    WatchitBeginAgain Posts: 41 Member
    Ok, maybe I am missing something, but "I am 27 and have great genetics?" What is that supposed to mean?

• janejellyroll
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I strongly disagree
    The three amino acids that promote the process of muscle synthesis are leucine, isoleucine, and valine.

Leucine, the strongest of the BCAAs, is responsible for the regulation of blood-sugar levels, the growth and repair of tissues in skin, bones and of course skeletal muscle.

It's a strong potentiator to Human Growth Hormone (HGH). It helps in healing wounds, regulating energy, and assists in the preventing the breakdown of muscle tissue.
    If one doesn't consume enough leucine more protien may be needed to be sufficient.

What is your basis for the claim that vegans struggle getting sufficient leucine, isoleucine, and valine?

Note: I'm not arguing that essential amino acids aren't essential. I'm just curious as to why you're singling out these three to be particular concerns for vegans?

If it helps, I can answer the question based on my particular results. I'm over my goals for all three for the rolling week: my top three sources for all three were rice protein biscuits, oat and pea hash, and chickpea cakes. No particular attention to combining needed. In this instance, meeting my overall need for protein happened to also result in me exceeding goals for each essential amino acid.
  • Chieflrg

I strongly disagree

What is your basis for the claim that vegans struggle getting sufficient leucine, isoleucine, and valine?

Note: I'm not arguing that essential amino acids aren't essential. I'm just curious as to why you're singling out these three to be particular concerns for vegans?

If it helps, I can answer the question based on my particular results. I'm over my goals for all three for the rolling week: my top three sources for all three were rice protein biscuits, oat and pea hash, and chickpea cakes. No particular attention to combining needed. In this instance, meeting my overall need for protein happened to also result in me exceeding goals for each essential amino acid.
    My argument is it's not for vegans alone, but including vegans.

Just because one eats the recommended grams of protien, doesn't mean the body is absorbing and utilizing the protien to prevent muscle loss or what goal you might have.

To say I'm consuming standard recommended protien for a average person, isn't a catch all or exactly true for anybody.

I was simply pointing out that stating lysine is not the only amino acid that should require thought. If you consume your three grams of leucine per meal, yes then you are eating optimally to for musclear synthesis. :)

• janejellyroll

I strongly disagree

Just because one eats the recommended grams of protien, doesn't mean the body is absorbing and utilizing the protien to prevent muscle loss or what goal you might have.

To say I'm consuming standard recommended protien for a average person, isn't a catch all or exactly true for anybody.

I was simply pointing out that stating lysine is not the only amino acid that should require thought. If you consume your three grams of leucine per meal, yes then you are eating optimally to for musclear synthesis. :)

If it isn't for vegans alone, but for everyone then why was your initial question directed to vegans?

When you express concerns about the absorbing and utilizing these three specific amino acids, is this based on specific studies of vegans or vegan outcomes or is this a more general concern?

If one is meeting one's goals for protein overall and those specific amino acids (which could be different than the "standard recommended protein," by the way), what additional thought would you recommend they put into it?
  • Chieflrg

I strongly disagree

If it isn't for vegans alone, but for everyone then why was your initial question directed to vegans?

When you express concerns about the absorbing and utilizing these three specific amino acids, is this based on specific studies of vegans or vegan outcomes or is this a more general concern?

If one is meeting one's goals for protein overall and those specific amino acids (which could be different than the "standard recommended protein," by the way), what additional thought would you recommend they put into it?
    1. I didn't ask a question, nor was my statement directed only vegans. It was opposing the statement that there us only one amino acid people should give thought. It matters not if you are vegan or carnivorous. This statement quoted is what I disagree with.
    I would say that lysine is the only amino acid that typically requires any thought.

2. There are based from Dr. Feigenbaum who I believe has also written a article based off data for the general public- which would include vegans. Of course I'm sure he can recite a study on vegans alone if asked as well. Without leucine, muscle synthesis is impossible. If you don't care about losing muscle, then leucine isn't a concern. I'm sure it's reasonable to think most people should be concerned.

3. I have no additional thoughts as I only disagreed with the statement I've quoted.

• janejellyroll

I strongly disagree

1. I didn't ask a question, nor was my statement directed only vegans. It was opposing the statement that there us only one amino acid people should give thought. It matters not if you are vegan or carnivorous. This statement quoted is what I disagree with.
    I would say that lysine is the only amino acid that typically requires any thought.

2. There are based from Dr. Feigenbaum who I believe has also written a article based off data for the general public- which would include vegans. Of course I'm sure he can recite a study on vegans alone if asked as well. Without leucine, muscle synthesis is impossible. If you don't care about losing muscle, then leucine isn't a concern. I'm sure it's reasonable to think most people should be concerned.

3. I have no additional thoughts as I only disagreed with the statement I've quoted.

I apologize, I thought the initial question was from you but I now see it was from another user.

Since you don't have any indication that leucine is a particular concern for vegans (as opposed to anyone else), I'm still not sure what your actual contention with my statement is, but I appreciate the attempts to clarify.
  • rawvegpower
    Ok, maybe I am missing something, but "I am 27 and have great genetics?" What is that supposed to mean?

LMAO what was I trying to say? It sure seems out of place. Looking to give you all a quick summery of myself.

REVISION:
    I am just starting to work out again after 7 years of not lifting. I started being a vegetarian 6years ago and have been vegan for the past 3 years. At 5’10” 155 I’m looking forward to the gains. I put on muscle rather quickly gained 5lbs in the past 3 week.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member

LMAO what was I trying to say? It sure seems out of place. Looking to give you all a quick summery of myself.

REVISION:
    I am just starting to work out again after 7 years of not lifting. I started being a vegetarian 6years ago and have been vegan for the past 3 years. At 5’10” 155 I’m looking forward to the gains. I put on muscle rather quickly gained 5lbs in the past 3 week.

No you didn’t
  • Chieflrg
    edited December 2017

REVISION:

No you didn’t

Maybe they mean gained five pounds of body weight, certainly not five lbs of muscle in three weeks.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member

REVISION:

No you didn’t

Maybe they mean gained five pounds of body weight, certainly not five lbs of muscle in three weeks.

That's what I was assuming she meant.
  • veganfanatic
    veganfanatic Posts: 32 Member
    i am vegan, been that way for a very long time