Goals for 2018?

I'm personally wavering between going for the "1000 lb club" OR sort of a "maintain strength PR's while doing some cardio and losing some body fat". Obviously the latter goal is tricky to nail down into specifics. My time in the gym is limited due to overly busy life and so I need concrete goals to stay motivated. Any suggestions? What are your goals for 2018?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Get swole.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    350 bench and a 32” waist. lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Keep building the bod .. increasing strength and getting better at yoga will be nice too
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Grow these traps!!
    Good luck too all above (and perhaps below) with your goals!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Keep my progressive routine going and gain weight to GW of 115
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Same as 2017. I'll do something different, though.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    205+kg squat, 120+kg bench, 225+kg deadlift

This would give me a 550kg or 1212.5lbs total. I am at an 1100 total now so this might be a bit hard to reach but still progressing weekly. I would love to hit 1125-1150 by my 1-year training anniversary in May. Not bad for a 45-year-old previously morbidly obese computer nerd B)

Oh, for body composition to keep the same waist or go down a bit would be ok. I don't worry about scale anymore but if I lower my body fat I'd likely do better in a meet.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Okiludy wrote: »
    205+kg squat, 120+kg bench, 225+kg deadlift

This would give me a 550kg or 1212.5lbs total. I am at an 1100 total now so this might be a bit hard to reach but still progressing weekly. I would love to hit 1125-1150 by my 1-year training anniversary in May. Not bad for a 45-year-old previously morbidly obese computer nerd B)

Oh, for body composition to keep the same waist or go down a bit would be ok. I don't worry about scale anymore but if I lower my body fat I'd likely do better in a meet.

What program are you on? Hitting 1100 lbs (in 7 months?) at any age- that's fantastic.
  • lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    A year of new experiences. The list is small but growing:
    1. 15K Trail run
    2. Attend Brendon Burchards High Performance Academy
    3. Attend first annual Dave Anderson Fishing Classic (my dad passed away this year and this event is in honor of him)
    4. Family Mud Run (mud run course designed for families)
    5. Hike up Mt. St. Helens with my daughter (I have reached the summit before but looking forward to doing it with her)
    6. July - we normally travel around the country for 30 days, not sure what this summer will have in store

In order to accomplish this list (and others that get added), I will be focusing on my attitude and energy. Energy: sleep, nutrition, exercise, etc. Attitude: asking myself each morning, what do I want to get out of today? How do I need to show up? as well as checking in throughout the day on my attitude and energy levels.

Good luck to everyone as they work towards their goals!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    300 lb deadlift
    210 back squat on the platform
    20 double-unders in a row
    Get my shoulder looked at by a doctor and stop taking Advil every day
    Plant an amazing veggie garden
    Keep my chickens alive and get lots of eggs
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Possibly get carpal tunnel surgery. I have it in both wrists/hands. Always wake up several times a nightwith bricks for hands
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    What program are you on? Hitting 1100 lbs (in 7 months?) at any age- that's fantastic.

I used Starting Strength. I tried to do 4-day split but I still have better results on a 3-day full body. For last few months, I've been doing an HLM weekly progression program that is heavier in intensity and low-ish in volume. Old body doesn't like too much volume but responds to intensity very well.

I eat 200g+ of protein a day and sleep 8 hours every day. I think the fact I just never miss a day, leave it all in the gym every time, and make sure to recover help. I also seem to be able to do deadlifts and squat pretty good for training age. My bench sucks but I get 900 from those 2 lifts. Oh and milk the newbie linear gains as long as possible. Even if only a 1-2lbs increase every session. Weekly progression sucks and I loathe to think what monthly progression will feel like.

Thank you for say as much by the way. I bust my *kitten* in the gym and it's nice to hear anything good.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Hoping to finally get to 135 on bench and get over 300 on deadlift.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2017
    1. Get abs by summer
    2. DL 350 lbs; stretch goal of 400
    3. Bench 225
    4. Eat more seafood.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Either stepping on stage or
    Nailing 300kg dead and squat
  • poetic_cell
    poetic_cell Posts: 772 Member
    LOSING THE FAT and keeping it off
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    225lb deadlift...then 2xbw deadlift (that’s a moving target since I’m bulking)