What would you consider 5'4 and 140 weight wise?

naj1991
naj1991 Posts: 93 Member
I have been trying to gain weight for years. I started at around 110 and now im around 140. I am african american and still get called skinny from time to time (alot less than before). I know u can only judge so much without a photo, but I am pear shape... I would like to be in the "thick"/curvy range and not be considered skinny anymore. Im a female 26 years old

Replies

• naj1991
    Thank you! I think that is apart of the problem, I do not know if I am happy at my current weight or not... I thought I would be,but part of me still wants a few more pounds/curves. Unfortunatly I was teased abt my weight from young, so I have always been super self conscience about my weight and body. I am finally alot more confident, but not 100%.

kimny72 wrote: »
    The generic "healthy weight range" for 5'4" is 110-144. But that is just a generalization, and how you carry your weight, how you dress, and how you feel about cultural standards will all affect how that looks to you in the mirror and how other people see you. And often the difference between "skinny" and "curvy" is actually weight distribution, not the number on the scale.

I would not consider 5'4" 140 lbs skinny at all, but my opinion on that really shouldn't count that much to you :). You and your doctor should determine what weight is healthy for you, and then it's up to you to decide what weight you are actually happy at. I know it's hard, but try not to let other people define how you look! Everyone has their own internal issues, and they often try to drop those issues on other people to make themselves feel better.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    naj1991 wrote: »
    Thank you! I think that is apart of the problem, I do not know if I am happy at my current weight or not... I thought I would be,but part of me still wants a few more pounds/curves. Unfortunatly I was teased abt my weight from young, so I have always been super self conscience about my weight and body. I am finally alot more confident, but not 100%.

The generic "healthy weight range" for 5'4" is 110-144. But that is just a generalization, and how you carry your weight, how you dress, and how you feel about cultural standards will all affect how that looks to you in the mirror and how other people see you. And often the difference between "skinny" and "curvy" is actually weight distribution, not the number on the scale.

I would not consider 5'4" 140 lbs skinny at all, but my opinion on that really shouldn't count that much to you :). You and your doctor should determine what weight is healthy for you, and then it's up to you to decide what weight you are actually happy at. I know it's hard, but try not to let other people define how you look! Everyone has their own internal issues, and they often try to drop those issues on other people to make themselves feel better.

Well, it's not like you have to make a decision and stick to it forever! Hang out here for a little while and see if once you get used to this weight, you really like it. If you keep thinking you really want to be a little curvier, try gaining a few more lbs and see what happens. Ignore anyone who feels the need to poke fun at your body - it's bad enough when kids do it, but adults who do that are just rude. And sometimes the people who do that are actually jealous.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I have been trying to gain weight for years. I started at around 110 and now im around 140. I am african american and still get called skinny from time to time (alot less than before). I know u can only judge so much without a photo, but I am pear shape... I would like to be in the "thick"/curvy range and not be considered skinny anymore. Im a female 26 years old

What do YOU think about your weight? Cos that's all that matters?
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    I would not consider that skinny at all. At 5'4, I would consider anything less than 115 "skinny." 140 is at the high end of a normal weight, so I wouldn't gain more weight if I were you.
  • naj1991
    Thank you.... really <3 . I will try that! it is horrible when adults tease and you're right it could be jealously. I guess I could also try dressing where it shows my curves more and see if i become comfortable at this weight or want more ...

Well, it's not like you have to make a decision and stick to it forever! Hang out here for a little while and see if once you get used to this weight, you really like it. If you keep thinking you really want to be a little curvier, try gaining a few more lbs and see what happens. Ignore anyone who feels the need to poke fun at your body - it's bad enough when kids do it, but adults who do that are just rude. And sometimes the people who do that are actually jealous.

• naj1991

well, part of me still thinks I am skinny, but I don't know if it is because I always see the tiny 110 pound girl in the mirror or if I really am still tiny. I know what i would like to be....that's curvy/thick(er) but i don't really know if I am yet, and never really have anyone to ask.
  • naj1991
    you're right! I will give it some time and enjoy where I am now.

jseams1234 wrote: »

well, part of me still thinks I am skinny, but I don't know if it is because I always see the tiny 110 pound girl in the mirror or if I really am still tiny. I know what i would like to be....that's curvy/thick(er) but i don't really know if I am yet, and never really have anyone to ask.

It takes a while for your mind to catch up to the reality. ;)

I'm a guy - but the same thing happened (still happens) to me. I was super skinny most of my life and when I look in the mirror I still see that skinny dude staring back at me most times. Technically, I'm "obese" and intellectually I know I'm a big guy... but I do have a hard time shaking that skinny guy image out of my head. Lucky for me I have my wife to smack me upside the head and bring me back to reality when I get too focused on getting much bigger. lol

• naj1991
    I would not consider that skinny at all. At 5'4, I would consider anything less than 115 "skinny." 140 is at the high end of a normal weight, so I wouldn't gain more weight if I were you.

Accoding to BMI it is at the higer end of normal, Im probably a size 4 most places...a 6 or 8 in h&m (their clothes run sooo small). Im at that end of... I can squeeze into a small or fit into a medium with fitted dresses. I know I'm not "skinny" but not sure if I am thick either...
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member

Most of us on MFP have the opposite problem, we were overweight and all we see is the fat person in the mirror, even after the loss. But the same rule applies. Your view of yourself will adjust over time. Keep in mind if you gain quickly and without resistance training, you don't get to control as much where the weight will go on your body.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2017

What sort of exercise program are you on? You're close to the top of the normal weight range. Unless you are lifting and have some muscle, sure would not think about going heavier.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

What sort of exercise program are you on? You're close to the top of the normal weight range. Unless you are lifting and have some muscle, sure would not think about going heavier.

I would agree with this. I'm 5'6" and my current goal is 145, but i lift. I started out at 115 a few years ago and have been slowly working my way up (currently sitting at 135 And a size 2), but again, I'm lifting. After this bulk I'm probably cutting to around 140.
  • naj1991
    Thank you for understanding the cultural aspect of this. In some cultures being a size 0 or 2 is the "norm". I get check-ups regularly and have no health issues. I have discussed my concerns with my doctor, who is great. She also viewed my weight issues from a cultural perspective and saw no problem with me gaining to my current weight of 140. I did not ask about anything over that weight, as I thought I would be "plenty" enough "thick" for me at this weight. I did talk to another doctor and she said for my "goals" I would probably have to inch into the "overwieght" range of the BMI chart...so gaining like another 5-8 pounds or so. I feel that I must mention most ppl do not even think I weigh 140. I have recently slowed down working out...i broke a toe.. but previously I was very much into weight lifting. I would like a little more fat on me to be honest, but still healthy. I am pear shape so most of my weight is hips and below.

We have to be aware of the cultural aspect of the question and the OPs views of herself and the women around her.

It's really hard to make an assessment without a picture as you say. Depending on muscle mass people are going to be different weights at the same size. That said, you are the high end of a "healthy" BMI and pushing into a size 8 sometimes (agreed on H&M sizing!). That's about where I am, I'm a little bigger and I would definitely say I have some meat on my bones and I am still losing some of that meat (deliberately for me).

The biggest marker for health risks is body fat and more so body fat distribution. So it wouldn't be the end of the world if you were at the low overweight end of BMI but had a waist smaller than 32". Of course you should also discuss this with your doctor and make sure it doesn't negatively affect things like blood pressure.

I agree you should hang out where you are for now. Maybe have a friend take some photos of you so you can look at yourself more objectively, the mirror can be a terrible liar. I also agree that you need to try and let the comments go. You absolutely should not be sacrificing your health in the pursuit of approval from other women.

• naj1991
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I pretty much lift weights and mininal cardio (as I have been trying to gain) I slowed workouts recently as I broke a toe
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    You look great! Not skinny at all, you look to have decent muscle mass there which helps you look curvy. As mentioned, our perspectives are going to be different but I think with the extra 10lbs on your frame now, you are probably beautifully curvy. I think those women have a serious case of the green eyed monster.

Agreed, you look amazing.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited December 2017
    You look great OP, not "skinny," nice curves.. healthy looking... I'd be happy there if I were your size and had your goals! I agree with @vintagefeline... you may continue to get teased some if you're still the "skinny one" out of your friend group or whatever but you have to let that roll off your back :)

ETA I'm 5'4 and 142 pounds... trying to lose because I still think I look overweight! Funny how things can be so different.