1g of protein per lb of body weight?

Replies

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    kazane1 wrote: »
    I have been looking online for the best amount of protein to be consuming and a lot of sites say 1g per lb of body weight and others say 1g per kg of body weight so it’s left me confused because there’s a big difference between the two. I weigh 128lb which is about 58 kg and I have been consuming 160g of protein a day, is this too much? Too little? What’s the adequate amount of protein I should be consuming? Thanks!

From what I've read for a healthy adult, eating too much protein won't be an issue, do you need to eat over a certain amount? not really but you do need enough to help build muscle so the 1 g per 1 lb of body weight is usually a good middle ground between someone wondering is it enough vs beyond the amount that I actually need, that's how I understand it.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    I have been looking online for the best amount of protein to be consuming and a lot of sites say 1g per lb of body weight and others say 1g per kg of body weight so it’s left me confused because there’s a big difference between the two. I weigh 128lb which is about 58 kg and I have been consuming 160g of protein a day, is this too much? Too little? What’s the adequate amount of protein I should be consuming? Thanks!

From what I've read for a healthy adult, eating too much protein won't be an issue, do you need to eat over a certain amount? not really but you do need enough to help build muscle so the 1 g per 1 lb of body weight is usually a good middle ground between someone wondering is it enough vs beyond the amount that I actually need, that's how I understand it.

Okay then thank you mate so your saying 130g should be enough for me to be eating then? Would it matter if I was to consume 150g a day?
    That’s what I’ve been having lately.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

Okay then thank you mate so your saying 130g should be enough for me to be eating then? Would it matter if I was to consume 150g a day?

If you feel fine, have good energy for workouts etc., you are fine. That is not excessive. It's all about preference and performance once you are above .8 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass.
  • willandrews65
    willandrews65 Posts: 4 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Whether you are cutting, bulking or maintaining, there is a range that you aim for, understanding that you don't need to be perfect everyday. And depending on how lean you are, will determine where you should be. As you will note below, there is variation in the recommendations. But the video is a bit more geared towards bodybuilders/competitors. So at least 1.5 to 2.2g/kg

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC6aG4dlRZg

Best advice is get 3dmj's ebook both of their training and nutrition pyramids are the holy grail of training and dieting !
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    While protein is necessary in a healthy diet (as are fats and carbs), in my opinion you will have success gaining weight/mass if you concern yourself with calories.

If you are not increasing your bodyweight consistently (1-2 lbs. per week) then you are simply not getting enough calories.

A balanced diet with enough calories will give you results and there is no need to focus on protein amounts.

You must get sufficient calories every day, whether you train or not. Don't forget to add back your activity calories.

Your lack of progress indicates you are not eating enough.

1-2 lb per week is very aggressive
    Up to 10lb per month is not healthy
  • mmapags
    watts6151 wrote: »
    While protein is necessary in a healthy diet (as are fats and carbs), in my opinion you will have success gaining weight/mass if you concern yourself with calories.

If you are not increasing your bodyweight consistently (1-2 lbs. per week) then you are simply not getting enough calories.

A balanced diet with enough calories will give you results and there is no need to focus on protein amounts.

You must get sufficient calories every day, whether you train or not. Don't forget to add back your activity calories.

Agree. Anything over about 1/2 lb per week is just gaining fat and will make the cut that much harder.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member

If 150g is working for you then I don't see the harm. If anything 150 is right on the nail. Make sure you 're getting enough calories total though that's really important!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    mmapags wrote: »

Agree. Anything over about 1/2 lb per week is just gaining fat and will make the cut that much harder.

I don't agree. The evidence demonstrates that up to 1% loss per week is not aggressive.
  • mmapags

I don't agree. The evidence demonstrates that up to 1% loss per week is not aggressive.

I think We're talking gaining/bulking not losing.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Thanks all all the info is very helpful
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator

Yea, missed that. But i am not even aure we can generalize weight gain. In Alan Aragon's book, for first time bulking men, it was 400 or so calories above TEE. So while it may be ideal for women, it may limit a males ability to gain.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Yea, missed that. But i am not even aure we can generalize weight gain. In Alan Aragon's book, for first time bulking men, it was 400 or so calories above TEE. So while it may be ideal for women, it may limit a males ability to gain.

Lyle had a pretty good discussion about it here, which I posted in a previous thread: https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/

Previous thread (for more discussion on the topic): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10587395/muscle-gain-math-bulking/p1
  • mmapags
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Lyle had a pretty good discussion about it here, which I posted in a previous thread: https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/

Previous thread (for more discussion on the topic): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10587395/muscle-gain-math-bulking/p1

Yes, saw that when you originally posted it and had that in mind.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Okay thanks for the help my target is is to bulk and build muscle and as I weigh 128lb would 150g of protein be okay or would that be too much? Also what is lean body mass? I’m currently eating in a surplus and I want to bulk and put on weight as well as muscle.

For building muscle in a surplus, carbs are king... protein is more important in a deficit than a surplus. You would be fine with 150 grams but it is a little overkill. If you don't know your BF% you could set protein as a minimum equal to 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight. So if your goal is 150 lbs, aim for 120 grams.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Better to have too much rather than too little protein. At your weight I would eat at least 150 grams of protein per day.

I personally like the rule of thumb of 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Especially in a sense of gaining muscle.

I currently weigh 190 lbs and eat 250 protein a day. As the saying goes, “Eat how you want to look.” You want to grow? You’re gonna want to eat like it.

But carbs are more important to bulk up than protein, so to take your advice, you would need more carbs and less protein to eat how you want to look!