1g of protein per lb of body weight?

Options

Replies

• Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    I weigh 150 eating between 200-300g of protein and 300g of carbs....doing 5x5 program....still not getting fat. If your lifting heavy EAT UP!
    Options
    Not every day just lifting days.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Eating more than 2g protein per kg every day is actually harmful for your body so eating 160g on a 58kg bodyweight is way to much. You are almost at 3g protein per kg so you should really cut back some.

What is your research source for this? It doesn't agree with studies I've ever read.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Not every day just lifting days.

Doesn't really matter. It's still above the predicted rate of MPS . Look at Eric Helms work in this area.
    Options
    These amounts are what’s recommended on mfp and on bodybuilding.com. It’s pretty trustworthy.
  • mmapags
    edited February 2018
    Options
    These amounts are what’s recommended on mfp and on bodybuilding.com. It’s pretty trustworthy.

I don't find bodybuilding.com to be anything but bioscience. Please show me where MFP recommends 1.33 to 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight. In the years I've been here, I've never seen that.
  • mmapags
    Options
    The vast majority of studies show no effect once you're above 1.6g/kg, so at 58kg you maximize gains at around 95g/day.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2018/01/18/bjsports-2017-097608.full

You can of course consume more than this, but you won't be impacting your FFM or strength gains, and once you're above the capacity of the liver to convert the excess nitrogen to urea you just end up with expensive piss. Where you're providing >35% of your energy intake from protein you enter areas where you may be subject to other risks.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921

No amount of protein consumption above the 0.8g/kg required for basic body function will help with gains in FFM without the correct resistance training regime.

Some actual studies (as opposed to bb.com) that support my contention were posted earlier in the thread.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Eating more than 2g protein per kg every day is actually harmful for your body so eating 160g on a 58kg bodyweight is way to much. You are almost at 3g protein per kg so you should really cut back some.

What is your research source for this? It doesn't agree with studies I've ever read.

Ye sorry my bad i read up on the study again and it was actually a consumption of 3,5-4,5 g/kg a day that could be harmful to your liver among other things
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I don't find bodybuilding.com to be anything but bioscience. Please show me where MFP recommends 1.33 to 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight. In the years I've been here, I've never seen that.

I'm laughing because I'd love to see this too. If anything, MFP under does the protein.
    Options
    I weigh 150, I eat around 200 g of protein, 279 g of carbs
  • mmapags
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I weigh 150 eating between 200-300g of protein and 300g of carbs....doing 5x5 program....still not getting fat. If your lifting heavy EAT UP!

This is what you said above. How does that compare to the data in the studies?

As I said before, eat what you want. But don't think you are getting extra benefit by consuming more than .8 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. Your not.
    Options
    Haha, that study says too much protein causes diarrhea. So untrue it’s actually the opposite, if you don’t get enough fiber.
    Options
    Does anyone else agree with this guy?
    Options
    Do you agree with his comments about my diet? Am I overdoing it?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else agree with this guy?

Which guy?
    If you mean @mmapags saying you are getting no further benefit eating a higher level of protein, but if it is your natural inclination to eat that much, go right ahead?
    Then yes, I agree.

Yes, this! You're not hurting anything... but maybe your wallet by filling up on brotein instead of carbs/fat

Yup, agreed