New to heavy weight lifting

Tariq_1997
Tariq_1997 Posts: 143 Member
Alright guys so i'm a 20 years old male, 188 cm height, weighing 100 kilo grams.
I have lost 41 kilos this year and now i got good amount of muscles and planning to hit the gym 5 days a week doing heavy weight lifting.
I still got a belly which feels sad but i wanna improve my strength and muscles.
So my questions are:

Should i do weight lifting if i still have like 22% fat?

Will i lose fat if i do weight lifting? If not what will happen?

How many calories should i eat a day? And gain only muscles not fat?

How many grams of protein, carbs and fat should i eat a day?

What supplements/protein powder do you guys recommend?

How can you guys advice me? Give some info that will help me in my journey and not lose hope.

Please answer these questions one by one, it'd be appreciated.

Thank you! Happy new year

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Tariq_1997 wrote: »
    Alright guys so i'm a 20 years old male, 188 cm height, weighing 100 kilo grams.
    I have lost 41 kilos this year and now i got good amount of muscles and planning to hit the gym 5 days a week doing heavy weight lifting.
    I still got a belly which feels sad but i wanna improve my strength and muscles.
    So my questions are:

One should train regardless.

If you're eating in a deficit. If not, you will gain weight.

Impossible to gain only muscle.

Eating a gram of protien per lb of body weight is a start. BW×.45=fat grams. Carbs a filler.

I don't unless your protien deficient. If so, find one with 3 grams of luecine per serving.

How can you guys advice me? Give some info that will help me in my journey and not lose hope.
    I can give advice, but losing hope is up to you. I can't make you do anything you don't want within.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    So my questions are:

you should be doing resistance training regardless of how much fat you have - it helps you retain muscle when you're in a calorie deficit

it depends on how much you eat. You still have weight to lose, so I'd recommend staying in a deficit to lose fat

if you were lean enough (you're not), you could consider recomp - eating at maintenance as you follow a progressive lifting program, enabling you to slowly lose fat as you slowly gain muscle.

You should be in a calorie deficit and worry about losing fat first.

you've been given the link to work this out many times already.

none - you've demonstrated that you're more than capable of eating sufficient protein!

follow a progressive lifting program, don't make it up yourself. Be consistent with food and training, don't jump from idea to idea and change what you're doing every five minutes

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited December 2017
    So my questions are:

I believe you should lift regardless of body fat. If losing weight you will keep more muscle than if you did not lift.

I lost 54 lbs of weight last year while lifting but it had nothing to do with it. It is all about CICO. Now if you lift at a deficit calorie intake you will lose fat and muscle, but not as much muscle than if you did not lift. You can gain strength while at a deficit. If you extremely obese (your not) and new to lifting you might see a small bit of lean body mass gain.

You can not get some magic number and be good. You can eat where you are gaining no weight but you are losing body fat and gaining muscle. It is a long process but many do it, also know as recomposition. I have more body fat than you but haven't gained or lost a pound in 2 months. I have lost about an inch around the waist in that time. You need to experiment to find your calorie total to do this because we all have different activity levels in and out the of gym.

I don't think your too big to do a recomp but I don't lift for looks. I lift for strength and if I don't eat at least at maintenance my lifts suffer. If you are lifting for a look I'd follow @livingleanlivingclean advice and lose more weight before you recomp. Sometimes you can't follow 2 masters.

My opinion just worry about getting 200g of protein and stay in calorie goal. Most men can eat this much protein with no side effects and much easier to track. I don't sweat the small stuff. I have read about a 40-Carb/30-Protein/30-Fat diet a few times but honestly too much BS for me to deal with.

Creatine has been well documented as useful.
    Caffeine has been well documented as useful, but use with care as it can have negative effects on recovery.
    After that, it's mostly *kitten* they peddle to make a buck.

For powdered protein, it can be extremely convenient. Eat real food if you can if not get a high-quality powder that doesn't taste like *kitten*. I favor whey isolate as it mixes pretty well.

Dedication is more important than motivation. We all have bad days and don't want to lift. Those that get off their *kitten* regularly are the ones that change their life. Those that need to be motivated normally stop within 3 months.

Follow a real lifting program for gods sake and don't be a fricken Bro. 5 days is likely not too much for your age but a good 3 day fullbody program will really do wonders while you get used to lifting. Follow a novice program for 3-6 months with linear progression until it ends. Then move to a more complicated split. I did Starting Strength and highly recomend it.

• Tariq_1997
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    So my questions are:

One should train regardless.

If you're eating in a deficit. If not, you will gain weight.

Impossible to gain only muscle.

Eating a gram of protien per lb of body weight is a start. BW×.45=fat grams. Carbs a filler.

I don't unless your protien deficient. If so, find one with 3 grams of luecine per serving.

I can give advice, but losing hope is up to you. I can't make you do anything you don't want within.

I wanna gain muscles and lose fat, so if i wanna gain muscles i need to eat more right? So how do i do it?

I'm excited to hit the gym and train but i thought i could do it if i still have som fat
  • Tariq_1997
    So my questions are:

you should be doing resistance training regardless of how much fat you have - it helps you retain muscle when you're in a calorie deficit

it depends on how much you eat. You still have weight to lose, so I'd recommend staying in a deficit to lose fat

if you were lean enough (you're not), you could consider recomp - eating at maintenance as you follow a progressive lifting program, enabling you to slowly lose fat as you slowly gain muscle.

You should be in a calorie deficit and worry about losing fat first.

you've been given the link to work this out many times already.

none - you've demonstrated that you're more than capable of eating sufficient protein!

follow a progressive lifting program, don't make it up yourself. Be consistent with food and training, don't jump from idea to idea and change what you're doing every five minutes

What is a resistance training and do i get bigger?

So i have to keep losing weight instead of maintain right

Again what is recomp? And can i do heavy weight lifting if i'm in this situation? I'm really excited to get muscles and improve.

Yeah i do eat lots of chicken and other food with high protein like cattage cheese each day. So i don't need protein that much.

Nah i won't change, well i wanna buff up and get bigger that's my goal but i dunno where to start, and you mentioned progressive lifting program, what is that? And where do i get a schedule/program from?

Thanks
  • Tariq_1997
    Okiludy wrote: »
    So my questions are:

I believe you should lift regardless of body fat. If losing weight you will keep more muscle than if you did not lift.

I lost 54 lbs of weight last year while lifting but it had nothing to do with it. It is all about CICO. Now if you lift at a deficit calorie intake you will lose fat and muscle, but not as much muscle than if you did not lift. You can gain strength while at a deficit. If you extremely obese (your not) and new to lifting you might see a small bit of lean body mass gain.

You can not get some magic number and be good. You can eat where you are gaining no weight but you are losing body fat and gaining muscle. It is a long process but many do it, also know as recomposition. I have more body fat than you but haven't gained or lost a pound in 2 months. I have lost about an inch around the waist in that time. You need to experiment to find your calorie total to do this because we all have different activity levels in and out the of gym.

I don't think your too big to do a recomp but I don't lift for looks. I lift for strength and if I don't eat at least at maintenance my lifts suffer. If you are lifting for a look I'd follow @livingleanlivingclean advice and lose more weight before you recomp. Sometimes you can't follow 2 masters.

My opinion just worry about getting 200g of protein and stay in calorie goal. Most men can eat this much protein with no side effects and much easier to track. I don't sweat the small stuff. I have read about a 40-Carb/30-Protein/30-Fat diet a few times but honestly too much BS for me to deal with.

Creatine has been well documented as useful.
    Caffeine has been well documented as useful, but use with care as it can have negative effects on recovery.
    After that, it's mostly *kitten* they peddle to make a buck.

For powdered protein, it can be extremely convenient. Eat real food if you can if not get a high-quality powder that doesn't taste like *kitten*. I favor whey isolate as it mixes pretty well.

Dedication is more important than motivation. We all have bad days and don't want to lift. Those that get off their *kitten* regularly are the ones that change their life. Those that need to be motivated normally stop within 3 months.

Follow a real lifting program for gods sake and don't be a fricken Bro. 5 days is likely not too much for your age but a good 3 day fullbody program will really do wonders while you get used to lifting. Follow a novice program for 3-6 months with linear progression until it ends. Then move to a more complicated split. I did Starting Strength and highly recomend it.

I wanna lift heavy to get bigger in size (muscles) and improve my strength.

What is CICO?
    I don't want to lose any muscles, i have abit of excess skin on my hands and chest so if i get more muscles the shape will look abit better and the hands as well.

I know that i won't get muscles with no fat but at least get muscles without gaining all the weight i lost back. It feels like *kitten* when you lose all that weight and then gain it all back.

So lets say i start doing heavy weight lifting what will be wrong with that? And what will happen to me?

I can eat more than 150 grams of protein normally without any side effects.

Whey protein isolate is the best yeah, is the protein from food better than powder? And same recovery and everything?

I have natural strength in my body, and i'm big boned and can lift but i just don't know where do i get a lifting program man? I know nothing about this.
    If you know please give some info.
    Thank you
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Have you considered taking time to read all of the really useful, informative stickied threads at the top of each section of the forum? There would literally be an answer to every question and concern you have in those threads.

I'd suggest you go through them, and take time to do your own research in to things you need to look in to further.

This linked thread is a good place to start (IMHO, of course):
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you