Booty Gains! Examples of your meal intake

Options
I’m getting pretty frustrated with myself because I have been trying to build volume and shape to my glutes for the past 2 years and have not been able to. Some of my go to exercises are squats, leg press, cable pull throughs, hip abduction, kickbacks. Increasing weight weekly. I have gained very little and my bum is almost squared? Shaped.. yikes!. Im sure my diet is off. So — I’m looking for examples of what should I be eatting for gains. Hoping someone can run through what your meals are from the morning to night.

From what I have been told, genetics play a big role. Is that right? I’m Southeast Asian.

Btw, I am 27, female, 138 lbs

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Are you eating in a surplus or deficit, or maintenance calories?

what you eat isn't as important as how much you eat - the calorie amount needs to match your goal. To gain muscle, you need to be in a surplus - this will mean you'll put on fat and muscle.

If you're happy with your current weight, you could try recomp - eat at maintenance as you continue to follow a progressive lifting program. This will enable you to very slowly lose fat as you very slowly gain muscle.

If you have fat to lose, you may want to put your booty gain goal aside and focus on losing fat first by eating at a deficit. Keep training though, and eating sufficient protein, so you maintain as much muscle as possible.

If you're making up your own workouts, id also look in to a training program. Strong Curves might be a good start for you (by Bret Contreras)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

what you eat isn't as important as how much you eat - the calorie amount needs to match your goal. To gain muscle, you need to be in a surplus - this will mean you'll put on fat and muscle.

If you're happy with your current weight, you could try recomp - eat at maintenance as you continue to follow a progressive lifting program. This will enable you to very slowly lose fat as you very slowly gain muscle.

If you have fat to lose, you may want to put your booty gain goal aside and focus on losing fat first by eating at a deficit. Keep training though, and eating sufficient protein, so you maintain as much muscle as possible.

If you're making up your own workouts, id also look in to a training program. Strong Curves might be a good start for you (by Bret Contreras)

All of this. We need more information. I think I remember you posting before but I forget what you have been doing calorie wise.. ie. if you have bulked before, recomped, etc.

Genetics can affect your build yes, but you can still make progress.. if you aren't eating to gain or running proper programming that could be a huge reason why you aren't heading in the direction you'd like.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you're making up your own workouts
    , id also look in to a training program. Strong Curves might be a good start for you (by Bret Contreras)

I suspect this is one of the biggest issues.

OP, if you want to build muscle, then you want a solid progressive overload lifting program that will focus development on the glute muscles (like SC, as mentioned). And as others have mentioned, if you want to maximize muscle gains, a surplus will be required and then you will need to cycle to a cut afterwards.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1