Trying to gain weight to become healthier

Hi all! I have been a member for a couple months! I am female 5’3” and am currently very under weight at 94 lbs. my goal is 20-25 lbs. I have been thin and tiny all my life but this just sucks!!! Any recommendations on foods I should snack on? Excercises to gain some muscle? Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Hi Erin - guessing you're trying to get to 120/125lbs? Or gain 20-25lbs? Either way - this forum is a great place for you to be.

I can't link it on my phone, but there is a stickied thread about a range of lifting programs - perhaps called "which lifting program is right for you". It will give some explanation to many programs people have found effective, and you can probably use that to pick one.

To gain weight healthily, you'll want to try and increase muscle mass more so than fat, which you'll achieve by following a lifting program and eating at a calorie surplus. If your surplus is small, you'll limit the amount of fat you gain - depending on your bf%, if it's very low, you may want to increase your surplus in order to put fat on a little quicker.

You can eat what you like, just make sure you get sufficient protein and fat - if you struggle to eat enough calories, add in calorie dense foods. Don't go for diet/light options, drink calories between meals, snack between meals etc. You may find planning your meals in advance helps you get enough calories over the day.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I can't link it on my phone, but there is a stickied thread about a range of lifting programs - perhaps called "which lifting program is right for you". It will give some explanation to many programs people have found effective, and you can probably use that to pick one.

That thread, and numerous other helpful ones, are linked in the sticky at the top of the page entitled "Most Helpful Posts - Goal: Gaining Weight (Must Reads)": http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300326/most-helpful-posts-goal-gaining-weight-must-reads#latest
  • sadiewmfp
    sadiewmfp Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Erin, from your post you could be me! Just stepped on the scale for the first time in years because I had been avoiding finding out how bad I gotten. I wasn't too happy to see a 2 digit number! How's it going?
  • Erin8776
    Erin8776 Posts: 2 Member
    sadiewmfp wrote: »
    Hi Erin, from your post you could be me! Just stepped on the scale for the first time in years because I had been avoiding finding out how bad I gotten. I wasn't too happy to see a 2 digit number! How's it going?

Hi! Oh it’s nice to know there are others like me out there!! I am frustrated. I didn’t think my goal was too much as really all I want to be is a 3 digit number on the scale!! Oh and the comments I get, assuming I have an eating disorder really bother me! Thing is I love food, but apparently my down fall is that my favourite foods to eat have next to no calories!!! Lol
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    have you run your info through MFP to see what it recommends? you can use the gain option - and set for .5-1pblbs (slow and steady) - coupled with a progressive strength program

don't shy away from full fat foods (avocado, full fat yogurt, nuts) etc
    aim for .7-1.3g program per goal lean muscle mass - so for you with a goal of 125lbs overall - probably 100g would work (but you can tweak as needed)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Nut butter and drinking my calories were my go to. You can pack in so many calories without feeling full.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Try whole milk and the flavoured milks like Muscle Milk. Gatorade instead of water.

Nuts, nut butters and cheese can help between meals.
  • kfischer1018
    kfischer1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Hi Erin! Sounds like we are very much in the same boat! I'm 35, 5'1'' and weigh 94 lbs. It's gotten to the point that even my Dr is looking at me and saying we need to do something about this. I've been thin all of my life but never thought I'd be this thin in my mid-30's. I get the same comments as you, "Looks like someone needs to go eat a sandwich", etc. People seem to think because you're thin giving you a hard time about your weight isn't as hurtful as it is for someone who is overweight. But it's just as hurtful! I get so tired of hearing things like "Real women have a butt and curves." Well, I've had 4 kids so I'm pretty sure I'm a real woman! lol I can't wait to see how this group can help us! Best of luck to you on your journey! It's nice to know we aren't alone isn't it?!
  • blondi921
    blondi921 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I'm 110Ib 5"5 and body fat of 13%. I've recently increased this from 10% and am continuing to try and gain weight for my own health reasons. I'm currently on 2200 cal which has upped a lot from what I started on. I'm not gaining hardly any weight though. Maybe I need to up it? I'm struggling as to how and where I can do this as I eat a lot and am always full at the minute.
  • tyenpooh
    tyenpooh Posts: 56 Member
    Hi Erin I was the same weight & I am your same height. I was a matron of honor in a wedding & was dreading my weight. I was able to gain 7 pounds in time for the wedding. I wish it was more but I was happy. That was in 2015. I weighed myself in November & was at 96 pounds. Now I am back trying to gain again. Gotta stick with those calories & do strength training exercises.