WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Thanks Lanette for your encouragement. I hope your husband gets good news at his next appt.

Okie
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Lanette, wonderful the doctor was able to explain and comfort your DH.

Rye, I sure can see why you were mistaken for a personal trainer...

Betsy in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Rye - I've seen those socks and have been thinking about them. I wear the cushion pads under the arches, (to the side) where they are not uncomfortable. After a while I don't notice them, though they did feel weird at first. Strangely the only time I don't wear them is when I am running. My new New Balance trainers have a very curved footbed with support for the arch, so I am perfectly comfortable in those.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Lisa I found the blog entry. I am going to bookmark it and make sure to do these everyday I am working. So I’m glad you reminded me.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/foot-strength-impacts-longevity-3-exercises/
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lisa I found the blog entry. I am going to bookmark it and make sure to do these everyday I am working. So I’m glad you reminded me. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/foot-strength-impacts-longevity-3-exercises/

Thanks, Rye, I'll add them into my day--they look like something I need badly.

Lisa

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Thanks for that link. I do no 1 and 3 every day, along with some others I picked up from the Internet for my arches, but I hadn't heard of no 2. :o

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lanette: Thanks for the link to brokenbrain. I'll visit there asap. :flowerforyou:

Wendy: I agree with you about over-exercise triggering appetite. I haven't had that happen to me at any time. Sitting around and boredom are things that trigger overeating in my world. So does the consumption of alcohol. CICO has worked wonders for me & so has staying away from alcohol. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Enjoy the visit with your Portsmouth friend. I hope the treatments your cancer friend will be taking do the job for her and stop the cancer in its tracks. :heart:

Rye: Congratulations on the huge, stupendous and fabulous non-scale victory!!! You are gorgeous and it doesn't surprise me that someone would take you for a trainer. :bigsmile:

Kate UK: Mary & her DH are in AZ, I think. She's gotten a teaching job & said that he works for the school, too. :star:

Lisa: I hope you work our your foot wear so that you aren't slipping, especially on the stairs. I feel safe barefoot and wearing shoes, but socks are slippery on my wooden floors. :ohwel:

Lanette: I'm so happy that your DH went to the doctor and heard what he had to say about the effects of smoking. I am all too aware of the impacts of tobacco smoke. Both of my parents were chain smokers and it shortened their lives. I also remember the smoky doctor's offices when I was a kid and had chronic bronchitis every winter until I left home and lived in a smoke free environment. :cry:

I'm taking our dog to the groomer to have his toenails clipped. He'll be going back to her regularly in the near future. We've been keeping him away due to his back injury. He seems to be improving steadily. That is very good news. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." CS Lewis
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I followed the link to broken brain and only got to see an introduction. I signed up and expect to see the rest of the program or programs when they are aired, streamed or posted. I will also be getting email from them, which is not something I prefer. I hope it is worth it.

Katla
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    edited January 2018
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I followed the link to broken brain and only got to see an introduction. I signed up and expect to see the rest of the program or programs when they are aired, streamed or posted. I will also be getting email from them, which is not something I prefer. I hope it is worth it.

Katla

Katla - on one of the laptops, I can log right into the episodes. On the other laptop, I only have access to the sign-up for the series starting tomorrow which sounds like what you found.

Here's the link to the episode I could access - I bet Margaret found this one as well: https://brokenbrain.com/01-epidemic/ I found episode 2 by overriding the brokenbrain.com/01-epidemic with brokenbrain.com/02

Not sure how worthwhile it will be but I'm looking forward to picking up a few tips. I need all the reminders I can get, lol.

Lanette
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    I highly recommend this site- particularly the e-book download. One of the book authors is the Strong Women author Miriam Nelson. The ebook even uses the same illustrations as the Strong Women books

http://growingstronger.nutrition.tufts.edu
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Lanette Your poor hubby. It is so hard to go find out if something is wrong. That level of anxiety can be so debilitating. Good for you that you probed a little & found out what the reason was! I don't know your husband, but if he can go just one whole day without smoking, with the knowledge that he can have his 3 cigarettes the next day, he may find out he doesn't actually need them anymore. The more days he says "I could have a cigarette, but I guess I won't have one today...or at least not right now...", the more likely he will be to quit altogether. I have seen veterans puffing away in a VA Hospital smoking lounge within hours of having an amputation due to PAD. Not a pretty sight.

Karen in Virginia

Karen - thank you! I ALWAYS appreciate your insight into this medical stuff. We were talking about his smoking this morning - he said he feels he can quit - I like your idea about quitting just for a day. The fact that he's been able to cut back from probably over 2 packs/day a year ago to only three is remarkable...he is almost there. He's so proud that the three he smokes are just half-smoked- he shows me his "butt-bucket", lol.

Probably some more gentle urging from the docs will give him what it takes to stop them completely.

He has been saying he is now past the "nicotine fit" stage - he sometimes forgets that it is time for his smoke. And, since he doesn't go out to smoke as much anymore, he still goes out to take the puppy for a walk. I think there's a chance the puppy walks will be his new ritual.

The vascular surgeon he'll be seeing is a retired Army colonel - I'm sure DH will be bantering back and forth about him working on a Marine, etc.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Hi Sisters,

Lanette, isn't it wonderful to have such a warm healer of a doctor to go to, who helps your mind as well as your body! Sounds like your hubby is a bit of a bottler, bottling up his fears until they release themselves in physical symptoms. My hubby is the strong silent type, who bottles it all up until he's had a bit too much to drink and then the top pops off. LOL (I can just imagine your motherly thoughts for the personal trainer too!)

Lisa, sounds like you are in a position to be a good example and source of strength for your daughter, in so many ways. As you help her to eat better, you will also help yourself. I know I am a role model for my three daughters and I keep that in mind constantly in so many of my decisions.

We had a representative from Head Office visit our agency yesterday and talk to my husband and the new manager. It was my day at home so I missed the visit. However, they told my husband that they want to centralize the accounts which in every day speak means I am out of a job. LOL. FINALLY! Well, nearly. We are going into the bees full-time but no one had discussed with us about who was going to take over the accounts at the office when I left. I didn't want to leave the office in a pickle but now I feel like I am free to go. The only thing holding me there now is the paycheck, which we need until head office pays us out for our shares. We had to take out a second mortgage to buy the travel agency and we intend to pay that mortgage off as soon as we get our share money. That will cut our monthly expenses in half and we will be able to survive on my hubbys income. If I have to leave before they pay us out, then we won't be able to pay our bills...It would be so nice to stay home and get caught up on all the work that needs doing here on the farm. What I would really like to do is finish writing the trilogy I am working on. I'm in the middle of book two. But I also like having my own paycheck as I want to be independent and provide for my horses, dogs, cats and chickens without having to ask hubby for money. So I feel kind of torn in two directions. One, look for another part-time job or Two, focus fully on my writing while helping out with the bee business.

I have to say I'm excited and a little bit scared. I am someone who thrives on Change because I get bored so easily. I never drive home the same way but take little back roads just to ease the tedium. But the whole money thing is pretty stressful! And I am a stress eater. I am trying to change my "comfort foods" to less fattening choices. So I have substituted kombucha for wine and it is working really well, except it is so expensive to buy. Guess I will HAVE to brew my own. But what food will satisfy me? Maybe mashed potato could be a go to. Hot and filling and not too fattening if you don't add butter to it. LOL. What about craving for sweets? Maybe dried apple or banana chips? We have apple trees so it makes sense to dry my own. Gotta start saving money!

So today's agenda, Bees this morning and accounts afterwards. I will need to take a usb to work and get all my documents off my work computer. How do I go about storing things "on the cloud". Do I have to set up an email account of some kind? What website do I go to? Advice from you computer whizzes would be appreciated. <3 Wendy