Gaining too fast

Hey Guys!

I’m running my first bulk and ate WAY too much over the past week and a half.. I definitely gained a few pounds. I’m back on my game, but what am I supposed to do next? Run a small cut to get back on track? Stay the course and just cut when my bulk is done in April? Reduce my calories slightly to reduce my weight gain for a bit?

I’m a woman, so I feel like cutting will hinder my progress since it’s hard for women to gain muscle as it is.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Stay the course. 1.5 weeks shouldn't throw you off too much. If anything you'd cut 2 weeks ahead of schedule, which is fine.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I personally would not cut, i would go back to my normal surplus and keep going. If you end up too fluffy before the bulk is scheduled to end, you can just cut earlier.

I have done that 'bulked till I couldn't stand myself any longer" and cut earlier (my very first bulk actually). What ever you feel most comfortable with and determine the appropriate time to cut is the way to go. You can always do another cycle.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    It could be a lot of water weight too. Just go back to your normal calorie goal and monitor. After a few weeks of going over? No I would not cut (the only reason I would recommend a mini cut it's been many months of bulking and your fat gain is getting above the threshold.. as a woman over ~27% bf and you need to reign it in to continue)
  • lindyyy87
    lindyyy87 Posts: 35 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It could be a lot of water weight too. Just go back to your normal calorie goal and monitor. After a few weeks of going over? No I would not cut (the only reason I would recommend a mini cut it's been many months of bulking and your fat gain is getting above the threshold.. as a woman over ~27% bf and you need to reign it in to continue)

I hope some of it is water weight! Otherwise, I’ve gained five pounds more than I should have! Lots of water today and another weigh-in tomorrow. Darn cookies!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    If you've increased your cals a decent amount, you would have gained water weight from more carbs, I find I get heavier just from more food (and waste)... There would initially be a bigger spike in weight. If you don't already, track your weight on a trending app, it should give you a good idea as to how your weight is going.
  • lindyyy87
    lindyyy87 Posts: 35 Member
    If you've increased your cals a decent amount, you would have gained water weight from more carbs, I find I get heavier just from more food (and waste)... There would initially be a bigger spike in weight. If you don't already, track your weight on a trending app, it should give you a good idea as to how your weight is going.

Great point- I bumped up my calories by 200 on December 19, and then I started eating everything in sight because of the holidays. I’ll give it a few days to even back out. I do track my weight- usually 2-3x per week.