Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Replies

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    edited January 2018
  • UltraVegAthlete
    Not sure why my last post didn’t post anything, but I replied to the “Guess they don’t want hair...” and “you only eat fruit and vegetables?”

• UltraVegAthlete
    Again, the whole post didn’t get posted. I have hair, and it did shed when I stopped eating overt fat. When I brought fat back into my diet, it stopped shedding. Besides the occasional bowl of oatmeal or baked sweet potato, I mainly eat fruit and vegetables (raw and cooked).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Again, the whole post didn’t get posted. I have hair, and it did shed when I stopped eating overt fat. When I brought fat back into my diet, it stopped shedding. Besides the occasional bowl of oatmeal or baked sweet potato, I mainly eat fruit and vegetables (raw and cooked).

Out of curiosity, where do you get your fat intake from? Do you eat lots of avocado, coconut?
  • UltraVegAthlete
    Haha lettuce instead of cookies! Probably.

And I get my fat from walnuts, chia seeds, and sometimes almond butter. I don’t like avocados or coconut. Avocados don’t taste like anything to me and I ate coconut when I was sick once and threw it up, so now I can’t stand it. Ooo and I really don’t like pine nuts for some reason. Their taste is so strong!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

And I get my fat from walnuts, chia seeds, and sometimes almond butter. I don’t like avocados or coconut. Avocados don’t taste like anything to me and I ate coconut when I was sick once and threw it up, so now I can’t stand it. Ooo and I really don’t like pine nuts for some reason. Their taste is so strong!

And protein?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Oh in another thread you said you don't eat nuts or seeds (unless I am thinking of someone else).. so that is why I was asking.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Saying "only fruits and veg" would make me think the person meant no nuts and seeds normally, although this poster identified almond butter and sweet potatoes as foods she or he would eat, so I figured a broader view of fruits and veg. (Although also seemed to be anti tofu, and tofu is a veg too, if sweet potatoes are.)

Poster doesn't identify any legumes other than edamame and peas, and to get enough protein (and a full compliment of the amino acids needed daily), I'd think it was important to include a broader range of beans and lentils (I at least couldn't consume that much edamame and peas, and would not want to have such a limited source). I'm wondering if the poster doesn't consider them adequately "vegetable." Hope that's not the case.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    sardelsa wrote: »

Oh in another thread you said you don't eat nuts or seeds (unless I am thinking of someone else).. so that is why I was asking.

Yeah I usually don’t eat them. I’ll only eat them if someone mentions the fact that I don’t eat them enough and I’m like “oh, right...I should eat some. Because fats are healthy.”
    I’m still getting over a fear of fat, so it takes some gentle nudging for me to eat nuts and seeds.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Saying "only fruits and veg" would make me think the person meant no nuts and seeds normally, although this poster identified almond butter and sweet potatoes as foods she or he would eat, so I figured a broader view of fruits and veg. (Although also seemed to be anti tofu, and tofu is a veg too, if sweet potatoes are.)

Poster doesn't identify any legumes other than edamame and peas, and to get enough protein (and a full compliment of the amino acids needed daily), I'd think it was important to include a broader range of beans and lentils (I at least couldn't consume that much edamame and peas, and would not want to have such a limited source). I'm wondering if the poster doesn't consider them adequately "vegetable." Hope that's not the case.

I might occasionally eat beans or lentils, but it’s true when I say I don’t look at them and think “vegetable”. Beans and lentils also make me feel heavy and bloated. Ugh reading my own answers makes me realize what a picky vegan i am.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    I’m just curious if anybody has any links to a scientific article or journal talking about calories in terms of if 100 calories of apples is equal to 100 calories of oreos.
    I was debating this in my head while reading some other discussions. Depending on what I eat, how hungry I am, and how active I am, I eat between 1700-3000 calories. On average it’s around 2000. My calories only come from whole fruits and vegetables. I’m just thinking...I don’t think a calorie really equals a calorie because the body uses the food differently. White bread vs Sweet Potato, PB2 vs Almond Butter, Cane sugar vs Dates, Faux Chicken vs spinach, etc etc

There are loads of science based articles that go into substrate utilization at rest vs exercises of different intensities, how quickly or changes in how it is metabolized, errors or changes in composition created by the calorie estimates, charts of gross vs net metabolized energy, etc.

Apples vs Oreos wouldn't be much different, since Oreos are mostly carbs.

For general weight control and loss, the below seems to be effective and make sense for most people.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutrition-Priorities.png

In context, calories are simply a unit of measurement and thus are the same. In reality how they are used, absorbed, how much they fill you up (or don't), long term vs short term energy, and such things vary because all calories we deal with as humans are attached to a food. All the small variables and errors in estimations can change a persons goal intake, TDEE, or other factors.