Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

meal timing debate

1235»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Momepro wrote: »
    Coming from my husband, and we haven't looked up any studies on it, but one area where the later night eating *might * have a poorer affect on weight loss is if you are prone to excessive gas or intestinal upset. I haven't seen any real mention of this in this discussion, although it's possible I just missed it. In those cases eating late could cause you to feel worse, leading to poorer sleep. And my understanding is that current studies are showing that not getting enough sleep is a factor in gaining or not being able to lose as easily. So in that way, time of last meal and type of food eaten late could have an impact on weight loss.
    As I said, I haven't researched it myself and this is mainly casual observation from my husband and I talking about this thread.

I mentioned this. There is evidence that some people have digestive problems from eating close to sleep and may sleep worse, and for them it could be a problem (because inadequate sleep can make not overeating harder).
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    One thing I've always wondered is who are these people who can have their last meal at 6 or whatever...and what do they do? I don't remember the last time I was home from work anytime before 6...sometimes I'm just leaving the office.
    I am one of those people
    I have an office job. Pick my daughter up from after school club before it closes at 6PM. Get home few mins later have dinner.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Momepro wrote: »
    Coming from my husband, and we haven't looked up any studies on it, but one area where the later night eating *might * have a poorer affect on weight loss is if you are prone to excessive gas or intestinal upset. I haven't seen any real mention of this in this discussion, although it's possible I just missed it. In those cases eating late could cause you to feel worse, leading to poorer sleep. And my understanding is that current studies are showing that not getting enough sleep is a factor in gaining or not being able to lose as easily. So in that way, time of last meal and type of food eaten late could have an impact on weight loss.
    As I said, I haven't researched it myself and this is mainly casual observation from my husband and I talking about this thread.

I mentioned this. There is evidence that some people have digestive problems from eating close to sleep and may sleep worse, and for them it could be a problem (because inadequate sleep can make not overeating harder).

I used to have terrible heart burn eating close to bed time so stopped.
    Most of the time I was eating unnecessarily anyway as I had eaten my dinner.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    One thing I've always wondered is who are these people who can have their last meal at 6 or whatever...and what do they do? I don't remember the last time I was home from work anytime before 6...sometimes I'm just leaving the office.

I've never had an office job, my hours were usually 7am-3:30pm. My husband is in construction, similar hours. I usually have dinner between 5-6pm.

ETA: I live in a small city, it would take 90 minutes in peak hour traffic to get from one end to the other, so spending hours commuting has never been an issue here. I know not every one has this luxury, but i wouldnt take a job that was more than 30 minutes drive away, any more than that would drive me nutso!!

I also wanted to add that the sooner the kitchen is closed, the better. I want to relax in the evenings, not still stuff arsing about in the kitchen at 8-9pm.

It must be lovely to have that luxury.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I've never had an office job, my hours were usually 7am-3:30pm. My husband is in construction, similar hours. I usually have dinner between 5-6pm.

ETA: I live in a small city, it would take 90 minutes in peak hour traffic to get from one end to the other, so spending hours commuting has never been an issue here. I know not every one has this luxury, but i wouldnt take a job that was more than 30 minutes drive away, any more than that would drive me nutso!!

I also wanted to add that the sooner the kitchen is closed, the better. I want to relax in the evenings, not still stuff arsing about in the kitchen at 8-9pm.

It is, although as stated when i worked full time i was home by 4pm most days. If i did have a 9-5 job i would do what my sister and her hubby are doing and get a meal service delivery, they do lite n easy. They are the same as me and don't want to spend their late evenings in the kitchen.
  • Alatariel75
    edited January 2018

It is, although as stated when i worked full time i was home by 4pm most days. If i did have a 9-5 job i would do what my sister and her hubby are doing and get a meal service delivery, they do lite n easy. They are the same as me and don't want to spend their late evenings in the kitchen.

I thought people who bought and ate processed foods and ready meals every day and didn't cook were lazy?
  • Christine_72

I thought people who bought and ate processed foods and ready meals every day and didn't cook were lazy?

Yes, i would be lazy if i spent long, late hours at work! Plus neither me or my sister have kids at home, so they've only got themselves and their health to worry about. I wouldn't do it if i had a family at home, I'd have to cook for the kids anyway, so it would be pointless to have a meal service.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2018
    I am one of those people
    I have an office job. Pick my daughter up from after school club before it closes at 6PM. Get home few mins later have dinner.

I'm often still at the office or just leaving at 6 and then 3x per week I have a 2 hour round trip commute...so basically out the door in the morning at 7 AM and getting home around 7 PM..the other 2 days I work in an office closer to home which is how I get my after work gym time in.

I'm executive level management in the finance department and while my hours are technically 8-5...yeah, that rarely happens. Supposedly I don't work weekends or nights when I get home either...at least not officially. The legislative session will be starting here in another week or so which means I'll basically not have a life or be getting home until well after my kids go to bed for a couple of weeks...usually don't get home until 10 PM or so during the session...

I'm an exempt salaried employee as well, so no OT...that said, I still spend a far cry less time working than when I was with the CPA firm...never mind that I don't have to travel 25 weeks out of the year anymore...certain times of year are crazier than others...most of the spring will be fairly mellow and I'll probably work mostly the standard 8-5 for the spring and be home by 6.

I can't imagine eating dinner at 6 though...I don't think I've done that since I was a wee child...
  • Christine_72
    I am one of those people

I'm often still at the office or just leaving at 6 and then 3x per week I have a 2 hour round trip commute...so basically out the door in the morning at 7 AM and getting home around 7 PM..the other 2 days I work in an office closer to home which is how I get my after work gym time in.

I'm executive level management in the finance department and while my hours are technically 8-5...yeah, that rarely happens. Supposedly I don't work weekends or nights when I get home either...at least not officially. The legislative session will be starting here in another week or so which means I'll basically not have a life or be getting home until well after my kids go to bed for a couple of weeks...usually don't get home until 10 PM or so during the session...

I'm an exempt salaried employee as well, so no OT...that said, I still spend a far cry less time working than when I was with the CPA firm...never mind that I don't have to travel 25 weeks out of the year anymore...certain times of year are crazier than others...most of the spring will be fairly mellow and I'll probably work mostly the standard 8-5 for the spring.

That kind of schedule would do my head in.
  • Alatariel75
    edited January 2018
    I am one of those people

I'm an exempt salaried employee as well, so no OT...that said, I still spend a far cry less time working than when I was with the CPA firm...never mind that I don't have to travel 25 weeks out of the year anymore...certain times of year are crazier than others...most of the spring will be fairly mellow and I'll probably work mostly the standard 8-5 for the spring and be home by 6.

I can't imagine eating dinner at 6 though...I don't think I've done that since I was a wee child...

Yup, I leave home at 7:45, usually walk in the door minimum 11, usually 12 hours later. Walking in the door by 6:30 is a treat!
    A couple times a year I go to trial, and am lucky to have 8 hours at home (to eat, sleep and shower) for a couple of weeks to a month. Longest was 3 months. During those times, I have plan ahead and frozen a bunch of stuff that I can just microwave, or we get takeaway at work.
    I dislike ready meals, even ones I make myself, and much prefer to just grill some meat and throw together some salad or steam some veg, or whip up a quick pasta. Usually means we eat about 8/8:30, once the dog is walked and dinner is cooked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I am one of those people

I'm an exempt salaried employee as well, so no OT...that said, I still spend a far cry less time working than when I was with the CPA firm...never mind that I don't have to travel 25 weeks out of the year anymore...certain times of year are crazier than others...most of the spring will be fairly mellow and I'll probably work mostly the standard 8-5 for the spring.

That kind of schedule would do my head in.

Compared to what I used to do, it's a cake walk. Unfortunately, my chosen field of accounting can be a pretty brutal workload and pretty much everything is an emergency, at least where the higher ups are concerned. All in all though I'm provided quite a bit of flexibility...like cutting out a little early on a Friday...and Tuesdays I work in the office closer to home and work through my lunch hour and they let me out of here around 4 to hit the gym...Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday kinda suck though.

I had to get out of the CPA firm when my oldest was born because that life would have killed my family. I typically worked 80 hours per week and traveled out of town 25 weeks out of the year, so I would never see my kiddo doing that...The most I've worked where I'm at is 60 hours, and that doesn't happen all that often...45-50 is more typical with a straight 40 at slow times of the year...