Depression & Exercise

2»

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    When I suffered from depression, I never could get to a gym. But I was able to do things at home in certain ways. Music I liked- played it and danced. Show I liked to watch? I had a laptop I literally carried while I walked, for 30 minutes, or went back and forth like an aerobics routine while watching tv.

Mostly, I needed something I liked doing to take the edge off the ‘this is SO impossibly, overwhelmingly hard’ feeling that came with exercise. Sometimes I needed the same thing just to brush my teeth, you know?

But I wanted to ask if any of your doctors checked for specific illnesses or conditions that could cause or contribute to your depression? I know a few folks who had their depression never improve enough to get off meds, like you mentioned experiencing, and eventually they found out that the reason was because there was something else in the mix.

Vitamin deficiences were one. Low level food allergies were another. Auto- immune diseases, especially celiac disease or thyroid based ones are another. many of these can have next to no symptoms except for fatigue and/or depression, plus some vague aches and pains, for years. BUt if you have a depression diagnosis, the other symptoms are vague enough they are often attributed to depression rather than something else, you know?

I myself was diagnosed as a celiac and maybe 4 months into treatment, my depression of well over 15 years diappeared practically overnight( during one of the most stressful periods of my life, no less). 8 years and it still remains gone.

That is not to say that your depression is like that ( my daughter’s is not, for example), but it may be worth exploring, if no one has ever done that for you.

Good luck, and hope you meds are a little less fuzzy for you, eventually.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    I have anxiety and seasonal depression. I found it easiest to start small. For instance, when I started, I just tried to walk for 20-30 minutes a day, more for the fresh air and sunshine than anything else. It quickly became habit-forming and the more I did, the more I (generally) craved to do it. Now I notice such a difference if something comes up to keep me from my exercise, that I'm almost scared not to exercise.

Good luck, it's just getting started that's the hardest. It does get easier, and quickly too!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    I just started taking antidepressants a couple months ago and I really don't feel much different. My doctor even increased my dosage after the first month. It may have helped out my cravings for certain things but I really don't feel any happier or less anxious, and my sleeping hasn't gotten much better.

The main thing I struggle with is motivation, I make a lot of excuses for my laziness. I'll tell myself it's too cold outside to go to the gym or I've had a long day, or I have to pay bills or something stupid like that instead of working out. And I know I feel like crap because I never work out, but I never work out because I always feel like crap. It's a vicious cycle. The hardest part is going the first few weeks to make it more of a routine and a habit. After that, it's actually kind of enjoyable.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    I suffer from depression and anxiety and it's a struggle. Not just with motivation but my anxiety also makes me overthink what people will think of me and that often triggers depression and it's just a stupidly vicious cycle for me.

I'm still trying to find a really good solution. What works best is to just not allow myself a chance to think too much or back out. Take a gym bag to work with me, then when logging out time comes around just don't think about it, get in the car and drive there, don't even take the other route and go home first. Once I'm in motion and got a routine going, it usually gets easier but it's a fragile thing because one little slip can make me go off track again.

Another thing that works for ME is to relate things I don't like doing with things I love. For example I'm a super big fangirl, so I try to get as much inspiration from the actors I like. Or when I get obsessed with a new TV series, I'll only allow myself to watch an episode while getting my cardio in.

I also tried getting others involved so I could agree to meet friends there but while the commitment helped, my stupid brain also started to make too many comparisons as far as body definition and progress goes, so that turned out not to be a good solution for me.
  • smelalinda60
    smelalinda60 Posts: 4 Member
    I can't really say I am depressed. Sometimes stressed. For the past year I have my 36 year old son living with my husband and I. I wouldn't have it any other way. He has had diabetes for 35 years. This has taken a toll on his body from heart disease, kidney failure pancrea not working at all. Plus many other things due to the diabetes. Plus my husband has epylisy fo 55 years. So you you see I am a care giver. I love them both dearly. But I need time for me too. I just started going back to the gym with my sisters. Very tired and exhausted but I keep pushing. Oh also I sit for a 8yr old. 5 days a week. Life goes on not easy at times but I keep going forward. All I can say is take one day at time.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    A couple of thoughts - when I was on antidepressant medication that made me fuzzy, someone suggested I took the meds at night not in the morning. So simple and I felt a bit foolish when I realised what a difference that made to the fuzziness - the pills also helped me sleep that way. And they were a big help.

Also - given that excercise is a proven and great way to reduce/prevent depression (those endorphins etc) I would consciously aim to prioritise it. Can you build a routine/habit where your best energy is spent on some form of excercise (swim, class, walk in nature, walk to the shops...maybe the gym is too hard right now)? It is worth putting high up the self care list...and this has certainly helped me in the past.

All best ... x
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    I don't know what I may have, but I seem to sweat alot under pressure or to many people around me at once. Think I have depression with being stressed and gaining weight. I have lost 13 lb so far and still look at myself and say not good enough. I hope time will play it part, cause so much to cut away from what could cause all of it.

So I feel the pain
  • I went through a severe depression 2 years ago. Exercise & Jesus have helped me so much. I'm not on any mediation. 6 years ago I lost 50 pounds, felt awesome. I've always been a big guy, played offensive line in college for football. then 2 years ago hit, and I put it all back on and have felt terrible. I've hit 10 pounds down today. Running further, feeling better than I have in at least 2-3 years.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    I have struggled greatly with depression and bulimia. Treatment is essential for some. But I also read Romans 12:3 and it speaks of “renewing your mind” and that triggered something - I need to actively participate in treatment and progression. There are several habits I do, activities I do to renew my mind, to capture my thoughts, to fight the beast. Exercise has greatly helped. Mindfulness, awareness, consideration of consequences and cause and effect. It is paramount to not be entrapped by stressors. It’s so important to build a fortress in my mind to defend against allowing negative thoughts slip through and take a stand.
  • caliallie2
    caliallie2 Posts: 19 Member
    High fives to all those dealing with any mental health issues,and fighting to be in charge of their destiny. All for medication as long as,its,being monitored but definitely hand in hand,with lifestyle changes. Exercise is so important for deprezsion as well as bp and anxiety. Just need to finfmd the right fit. Gym is my thing but on dats yiure not feeling it, go for a brisk walk outside. Sun is important as well. Try dance or skating bicycling or all of the above. Track on a calendar to keep you motivated. Thinking exercise,as a treat rathercthsn a dutyvand it changes the picture.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    If you have never walked in a person's shoes then you will never fully understand so I agree that is incredibly rude and insensitive to judge people.

While I am not on medication, I have experienced depression on and off during my life and after my hysterectomy 5 years ago I started to have perimenopausal mood swings, depression and anxiety (HRT helped a lot).

I recommend looking into yoga, Tai chi or even a meditation class or look for videos online. My yoga and meditation have been my saving grace and I walk/hike with a friend.

Sending you a big virtual hug. My aunt has suffered from clinical depression for years and it has been very rough on the family/my relatives. I hope you have a strong support system and friends and family you can lean on.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Like others have said, the hardest part is getting back into a habit with it. I always feel better when I'm consistently working out. I may not be on meds right now, but I do see a therapist every other week; but even with that, the workouts help. However, it's not just as easy as getting up and doing it, or everyone would have a great routine constantly.

I find that if I not only plan my workouts when I look at my week as a whole, but also write them down at the beginning of the week, and the night before when I'm visualizing my next day, I am so much more likely to do it. If I plan it twice, it usually sticks. Even when I'm having bad flares of the anxiety or whatnot.