Advice Please!

Options
jbean1990
jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to strength training and 'gaining weight' and to be honest, completely new to the weights side of the gym. It's a place I used to rarely step for a number of reasons!
Anyway, about me: I'm a 27 year old male, 6 foot and around 87.5KG. I've always been 'slim' or 'lanky' as my friends put it - especially around my shoulders and upper arms - they've always been tiny. I'm also part of a running club and do x2 runs of around 10KM each, each week. Earlier this year I was around 96KG and went on a real exercise kick to lose weight and reduced my calories to a stupid amount and was running every day. I ended up about 73KG, thought I'd be happy - but couldnt be further from it. I was skin and bones!

I've now joined a gym and spent a long time researching strength training. I'm a bit of a bookworm and read every article and paper I could fine. I've joined a gym and will have a strength program created for me tomorrow when I go meet my trainer. It's always been an absolute dream to gain more muscle and look/feel better, but I never thought I could do it. The mindset was the first obstacle to overcome and I'm well and truly there now.

All I'm wanting is a couple of bits of advice - I'm going to outline my understanding of strength training and gaining muscle, and just want to know if I have it right? Or is there something glaringly wrong or misunderstood? I'm extremely grateful for all advice from people who know what they are on about!

So the way I understand it:
The idea is to train and allow adequate time (24-48 hours) rest between muscle groups.
Less reps & higher weights
90% of the outcome will depend on diet
Diet wise, I need to eat more protein and reduce and if possible eliminate sugar & bad fats and bad carbs.
My meals should be mad up of 2/3 veg (broccoli, carrots, spinach etc) and the rest protein (chicken, fish etc). Good carbs (wholemeal rice, pasta, sweet potatoes etc) should be eaten after a workout for energy but generally avoided the rest of the time where possible.
I need to reduce body fat % in order to 'show' the muscle.

1. Does this sound right? Just a couple of things I'm unsure on:
2. Calories? How many should I actually be eating?
3. Meals - My work means I struggle to eat much in the day. What should I be eating and when? Should I be using shakes and when? I'm thinking as I only have time to sit and each lunch at work, I could have a shake for a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack to get more protein in?
4. 4. Do I need to lose weight first?

So my overall plan:
Exercise
Monday -Running Club (slow pace)
Tuesday - Gym (TBC)
Wednesday - Running Club (slow pace)
Thursday - Gym (TBC)
Friday - Rest Day
Saturday - Gym (TBC)
Sunday - Gym (TBC)

Meals
Breakfast - Oats + fruit/Yoghurt/Bacon & Egg
Mid Morning - Shake
Lunch - Chicken/Fish & veg
Mid Afternoon - Shake
Pre-Workout - ?????
Evening Meal - Protein Source + Veg (large portion of carbs on running day)

Sorry this is so long! Anyone that takes the time to read this - thank you, and any replies - thank you in advance! I've also included some photos for reference!

Should add - I know I need to drink a lot of water and get a good amount of sleep too!

https://ibb.co/n5SbUw
https://ibb.co/dtuqpw
https://ibb.co/kWcobb

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    you could eat healthier and do what they call a clean bulk but that usually means a larger volume of food because veggies and so on will mean lower amounts of calories. nut butters and oils will help with boosting calories if needed. but a bulk is a bulk. calories are king here when it comes to bulking or weight loss. if you want to eat nothing but lean meats,veggies and rice then thats your choice. you wont see a faster amount of gains because of it. fuel is fuel
  • jbean1990
    Options
    Thank you the the response! I know this is a long term thing, and Jory to expect much in the short term.

Much of the reading I did on carbs was from Need Fitness, I think it was referencing a good carb as something like quinoa or wholewheat opposed to white pasta/bread etc.
    I have a training plan in development from my gym trainer that I’ll be getting on Wednesday
  • jbean1990
    Options
    I should also say - due to my job I get time to sit down and eat for maybe 20 mins once a day, so really struggle to take in enough calories/protein!
  • jbean1990
    Options
    If I aim for 250kcal extra per day, should I eat back exercise calories?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has about a 1% impact on results in the long run. The only thing that is important with meal timing is that it is something you can stick to. You can eat "bad" carbs if you want. 100 calories worth of carbs is 100 calories worth of carbs whether it comes from sugar or from quinoa, the difference is the other nutrients (fiber and vitamins) that go along with it. Eating candy preworkout can actually help performance for some (I use sour patch kids).

As was said previously, your results are going to depend on your training and overall nutrition, not on how "clean" you eat. If you want to eat that way go ahead and do it. I could never stick with a plan like that and including things like cake or chocolate helped keep me on track during bodybuilding competition prep. In the end it's all about how well you are going to stick to it long term and whether you find it enjoyable (life is way too short to make miserable food choices).
  • jbean1990
    Options
    Thanks.

What should I be eating in terms of carbs? As in with every meal or just post workout?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    Thanks.

What should I be eating in terms of carbs? As in with every meal or just post workout?

Doesn't really matter. Timing carbs is a personal thing. Competitive bodybuilders try to use nutrient timing to their advantage to gain a 1% edge. The average person should time their meals in whatever way helps them stick to their calorie goal the best or helps them with their gym performance. You'll have to figure out what that is for you.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Looking at your pictures you shouldn't be eating extra calories. You're still carrying too much body fat to gain weight. Stick to a deficit for a bit or even maintenance.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2018
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Looking at your pictures you shouldn't be eating extra calories. You're still carrying too much body fat to gain weight. Stick to a deficit for a bit or even maintenance.

I dont see where OP has a lot of body fat maybe the midsection area sure. but the rest doesnt look like a lot. not arguing with you I just dont see where its too much to gain weight. he is 6ft and 192 lbs. but ultimately its his choice and maybe a recomp would be the best thing at the moment.
  • jbean1990
    Options

I had been thinking this! Thanks!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I dont see where OP has a lot of body fat maybe the midsection area sure. but the rest doesnt look like a lot. not arguing with you I just dont see where its too much to gain weight. he is 6ft and 192 lbs. but ultimately its his choice and maybe a recomp would be the best thing at the moment.

His bodyfat is easily in the 20-22% range, regardless of his weight. Bulking at high bodyfat levels isn't a good idea because you're more likely to put on fat than muscle. Read the part about p-ratio here.
  • usmcmp
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't say 22%, but solidly 18%. He is new to strength training with arms, hips, and back too thick for not having muscle under. He's at an overweight BMI still and won't see as much visual progress from a recomp with that high of a body fat. Cutting first will provide more of a visual reward at this point and in about 20 pounds recomp might be the better option.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    What’s cutting?
  • jbean1990
    Options
    And recomp? Sorry for all the questions!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Cutting= losing weight with the goal of keeping muscle
    Recomp= Recomposition which is maintaining weight while lifting in an effort to add muscle and reduce body fat without changing body weight.

Generally when people lose weight they lose lean mass as well. Cutting is when someone works to hold onto their muscle while losing weight. As a new lifter you should be able to gain some muscle while losing weight if you follow a progressive lifting program, eat adequate calories, and eat adequate protein.

During recomposition the visual changes are generally slow because under ideal conditions a man can gain 2 pounds of muscle per month (so recomposition may result in 1 pound or less). That means you have to gauge progress by means other than the mirror and the scale and compare that as a long term thing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

His bodyfat is easily in the 20-22% range, regardless of his weight. Bulking at high bodyfat levels isn't a good idea because you're more likely to put on fat than muscle. Read the part about p-ratio here.

I know bulking puts on bodyfat,but wouldnt 20-22% be in the normal ranges or no? I also thought the more fat you had would help to gain muscle a bit easier as the fat is used for energy since its stored? or is that wrong?
  • usmcmp
    Options

I know bulking puts on bodyfat,but wouldnt 20-22% be in the normal ranges or no? I also thought the more fat you had would help to gain muscle a bit easier as the fat is used for energy since its stored? or is that wrong?

Nutrient partitioning is generally a concern at higher body fat. 22% is in the normal range for a guy, but as a newer lifter his progress while losing weight or maintaining weight is going to be around the same. If he got closer to 12% he would improve nutrient partitioning and could bulk back towards normal for greater gains.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    So would you recommend going into a deficit for a while and then aiming to build muscle?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Nutrient partitioning is generally a concern at higher body fat. 22% is in the normal range for a guy, but as a newer lifter his progress while losing weight or maintaining weight is going to be around the same. If he got closer to 12% he would improve nutrient partitioning and could bulk back towards normal for greater gains.

um ok then lol.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So would you recommend going into a deficit for a while and then aiming to build muscle?

That would be my suggestion. Not a steep deficit, just a small one to reduce body fat percentage.