Weekly Post - 8.1.2018 - 14.1.2018

Options
Meghan509
Meghan509 Posts: 1,957 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
Good morning everybody!

Starting the weekly thread. Back in a few minutes with a fresh post for you. :)

Replies

• Meghan509
    Options
    Hope everybody had a great weekend!

Ours here on the East coast was really, really, cold and that was VERY tough on me. Not going to lie. :( Couldn't make it to the gym on Saturday or Sunday. We basically stayed indoors, in our residence all weekend. Went out for a little bit of grocery shopping on Saturday and to get a few things on Sunday at another store, but that was pretty much it. We are supposed to get some snow flurries tonight around 5pm or so, when we are commuting but it is a little warmer today and supposted to warm up this week. By the end of the week it is upposed to be 50 degrees F. I think I may cry tears of joy when that happens. I know it is only January, but I am not sure how I am going to get through a winter of this, if it were to stay this cold. Typically weather here in the winter is in the 40's. 40's I can do. Zero and single digits I cannot do. I just can't. I am also dealing with a bit of a cold and that is not helping. :'(

Okay enough ranting. Today is a light day and I am getting my cold, sniffly butt to the gym. Sipping some green tea and drinking some water.

A big welcome to the new people. Tell us about yourself and let us know about any road blocks you are concerned about that we can help you with. A little about me - 5 feet, 4 inches tall. 45 years old. 167 pounds. Started 5/2 and a combination of intermittent fasting (eating my calories for the day during a window of 12pm to 8pm or 1pm to 9pm typically) back in March of last year. I have lost 51 pounds doing this WOE, had lost weight previously and had put some back on. Total weight loss is 73 lbs. I would like to get down to 135 by my birthday in May, that is my goal. I exercise six days a week (on a good week that isn't freezing) doing cardio and weights. Been doing more cardio lately as I am still getting back on track from the holidays.

Hope you have a good day. See you all soon. :)
  • cdurston50523
    cdurston50523 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow well done Meghan 509. I'm female 5ft 5 214 pounds have about 60 pounds to loose I really hope I can do this I have tried 5 2 many times and fail after a week but I really believe in it and want the motivation this year to do it . X
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Morning y’all!
    I spent the day yesterday cleaning and putting all Christmas related items back in storage! Whew! I’ve also completed my new streak of 7 days logging. Feels incredibly different to start over..... Like restarting your mojo!
    Awesome loss Meghan! I’m not surprised though your dedication is exemplary! Kudos gal!!
    @cdurston50523 what do you think made you fail before??? I lost quite a bit (don’t weigh myself, but went from 37” waist to 29”) then I got complacent, maintenance is what ruined it for me. So here I am starting over at what I think is a 32” waist... but I’m not measuring yet, I’ll wait until the first of feb. For me, what helps to stick with it was telling myself “I can have that tomorrow” and also I already drink lots of water, but drinking extra water before I eat anything... just keep a glass on my kitchen window sill all day.... and to keep thinking that if I do not do this way of eating I will not see results! All this is so much easier when you see a muffin top over your jeans!
    Well let’s see if I can practice what I preach!! ;-)
    Off for a walk by myself! I’ll take the dog later.... it’s raining and will be raining all week!!! I’ll check back later, have a great day people!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Light day for me today. My DS is back in school. Went to my strength training class today really wishing I could be home on the couch eating my favorite Christmas treats. I am ignoring those voices in my head knowing if I ignore them long enough they will go away. :angry:

Looking forward to getting in my first full week of 5:2 since before Christmas. Hope you all have a great day. I am off to treat myself to a cup of herbal tea....
  • cdurston50523
    Options
    I think I keep failing because I come home and then eat after being good all day for example I done so good today came home and my mam had baked me a pie
  • cdurston50523
    Options
    I will keep thinking I can have it tommorow like you said x
  • jknight001
    Options
    @cdurston50523 - Does your mom know that you are trying to change the way you eat? If not, you may want to sit down with her and explain what you are doing and why it is important to you. It would be great to have her on your team if possible.
  • cdurston50523
    Options
    Yeah she knows think it was made for my husband and children but couldn't resist a slice
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    ^always hard to resist pie!

I caved too... watching tv I had some chips that the hubs was having... I don’t normally eat chips but I just had salad for dinner. I actually had a large chicken breast for lunch topped with fresh salsa which was very different for me ... thought I’d try filling up on protein! Well it did work, I was still full by dinner hour so my plan of just having a bowl of cesar salad worked! Should’ve just gone to bed at 9:30 and avoided the tempting chips!! Oh well all in all it was a lighter day and no alcohol!
    Good night!

• cdurston50523
    Options
    Well done. I'm going to try fast day today.
  • jknight001
    Options
    @mamainthekitchen - While the chips were not part of the plan, it looks like you found a good strategy for yourself on you light days! Good news for your future light days.

@cdurston50523 - Wishing you well today. You are stronger than you know. You got this!
  • cdurston50523
    Options
    Thank you.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody,

This is a tough time of year - like my former MD used to tell me (he has since retired) :'( But, what a great, smart, wise man, he was. Think of this time of year (the months of fall and winter) as a time when your body is working against you and looking to hibernate and keep weight on. We are like the bears in many ways, our bodies want to keep warm for the winter and retain weight. Our bodies are working against us, naturally. That is why when it is cold or when you are sick or feeling under the weather all you want to do is crawl up under a blanket and have some yummy comfort food.
    My two cents - stay focused. If you stumble a little, don't beat yourself up over it. Just do what you can to try and do better. The weight will come off in due time. If not this week, then maybe next week or in a week or two. If you are little less motivated because of the winter or the cold, your motivation will come back. Stay the course. :) We got this!

The holidays were sort of tough on me (towards the end - lots of dinners out that were not planned) and you know how I feel about the cold. We won't go there again. LOL The good news is it is finally getting warmer here! This morning I didn't wake up feeling cold and miserable! Had a good light day yesterday and a good cardio workout last night at the gym. Slowing getting back on track. I think I will start my strength training workouts back up on Saturday, when I am scheduled to be fully back at the gym. Going to miss Thursday again because of a hair appointment. Life happens.

My two cents - I guess for me, I have pretty much always stuck with a light day because if I have already spent the time, money, calories, etc. eating and prepping a light lunch I would not want to waste that on eating poorly for dinner. Why do that when I can have what I am craving tomorrow or on the weekend when I give myself some more flexibility. Not judging anybody just telling you my mindset and has what worked for me. Let me tell you, working out six days a week in a gym that is next to a McDonald's is not easy. Coming outside and smelling those french fries or whatever. Sigh... Yup. True story. Haven't given in, but definitely has crossed our minds many times. LOL

Okay all. Going to have some green tea and will check back later. Have a great day!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    So, doing the FMD this week. It is a lot like doing a 5 light days in a row - a little harder in some ways a little easier in others I’m finding. Midway through on the third day.

Unlike 5:2 it is important to hit the macros as close as possible. This is not something I like to do as I tend to rebellion when faced with a meal ‘plan’ in advance. But I get approx 700 instead of 500 a day, so there is that :)

I’m hungry, but pretty much mostly like a regular light day. I have a headache but my husband woke with one today as well so it might Be that we forgot to turn on the humidifier before bed last night.

Anything more than light exercise (so weight training) is out during the FMD. So I will pick up weight training again on Saturday. Walking and exercycle are pretty much all I’m doing for these five days.

———————-

In other news: I don’t have any other news. So I’m going to go look for a picture to share with everyone. I’m hoping it is a good week for you all!

f9x969pa9old.png

Downtown Ft. Worth TX at twilight
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Oh Ryenday! good for you and thanks for the update! I too have difficulty when pre-planning and mostly because I also have grown children still at home which make most days a challenge for their meals as their schedules between work & school are so varied. This leaves me kind of feeling pulled at all ends some days which is why I can choose a bottle of wine for dinner & forget the food! I'm also thinking your headaches may be from this and not your humidifier. I sometimes get headeaches on a fd. I suppose I would say to drink your water, but you're probs already on that. Can't believe you're on day 3 already! Keep us posted :#

Meghan, your willpower is inspiring. Most days are really not my own... that's just my life though, having grown kids (21 & 24) at home can be so wonderful some days and yet other days I want to strangle my daughter the older one! She works 12 hr shifts (nurse) and can be quite irratible with me at times....she also does not eat a lot of meat, no pork, is lactose intolerant, doesn't like tomatoes or beans or whole eggs! The son & husband likes all those items, so dinner around here is not necessarily a one meal deal... I've become a short order cook!! Chicken (which my husband does not like btw) is cooked every day - even if I just cook it, chop it and store it :s C'est la vie.... everyday is a new opportunity!

It's a glorious sunny day today... but I have chores for others today so unable to walk, I'll do a short walk with my dog now though. So far I'm also doing a fast day today, but I'll have to account for my banana bread I've already had! whoops.
  • cdurston50523
    Options
    Can I ask what do you all eat on a fast day?
  • cdurston50523
    Options
    I was thinking of using my 500 calories for lunch about 5 and drink tea and water up until then I find if i ear early I'm hungrier x
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hey! Sorry for the hiatus - work got CRAZY right before my kids were out of school for Christmas break, and then we got 5" of snow here in Charleston, SC. Supposedly it was the third highest snowfall in recorded history in Charleston. We have no plows and no salt trucks, so everything shut down. We didn't leave the house for four days, and when we did venture out to Costco on Saturday and church on Sunday, the roads were not pretty. (All I can say is, thank goodness this northerner knows how to handle driving in ice/snow.) Monday it was 60 degrees out, so the roads got much better, and today was the day when all the shady spots finally melted.

My younger son was supposed to go back to school last Wednesday but didn't return until this past Monday.

My older son was supposed to go back to school last Thursday but didn't return until TODAY.

UGH. I love my kids, and most of the time hanging out with them at home is more fun than being at work and going through the whole rigamarole of picking them up at two different schools, but we had some serious cabin fever. I had started losing track of what day it actually was. (Today's Wednesday, right?)

Suffice it to say that the holidays were not kind to me, diet-wise, or rather, I was not kind to myself. I gave myself a break from 5:2 and lost any form of self-control that I had. I should have expected this, but I'm not beating myself up about it, as I can't change it. I'm just moving forward.

However, I have done a lot of reading/research into things and have decided that a ketogenic diet is probably a good idea for me. I'm doing IF as well (a lot of IF folks do keto, and vice versa), but for the time being I'm doing 16:8. I started keto last Wednesday 1/3 (thankfully I had done a big grocery haul the day before the storm) and overlaid 16:8 this past Monday. As I get better at this keto thing, I am going to evaluate if 5:2 is something that I can do. I'm not quite sure what a low day on keto would even look like, but I'm sure someone out there has done it and shared it somewhere! I would love to make 5:2 work for me again.

So I may be bowing out for a little while. I'll still be on the main IF board, though. However I wanted to pop in and say hi and Happy New Year to everyone!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody,

Lovely picture @ryenday thank you for sharing! Good luck with your newer version of 5/2, always good to keep the body guessing.

@cdurston50523 there is really no right or wrong way to have your calories for the day. If you click on the links here, you will find a ton of great recipes. Towards the bottom are ones that I have contributed and make weekly.
    For a light day I typically skip breakfast and have coffee with a little bit of milk and no sugar. I start eating at lunch and I try and divide my calories pretty evenly between lunch and dinner 250 and 250 give or take (allowing some for coffee in the AM of course). Salad for lunch with a light dressing typically. For dinner I will have a soup or stew that is full of vegetables. Take a look at the recipes here for ideas on what to eat. Lots of water and green tea throughout the day to help keep me full. Hope that helps.
    If you can get some exercise in, get moving for at least a good 30 to 40 minutes that is good for you. I have found that has helped me greatly. In the evenings when I typically get a little hungry or when I tend to think about food is when I like to go to the gym. It keeps me busy and it burns some calories.

@mamainthekitchen thank you for your kind words. I apprecaite that. I have found that planning ahead has really helped me stay focused. I do a lot of cooking on the weekends - Saturday and Sunday. I plan the menu for the week and we buy and cook what is needed. Then during the week after work we go to the gym and then reheat food on the stove-top or in the microwave when we get home. Working full time and going to the gym each night for an hour (my choice, I know) means I don't have time to cook a big meal each night. But I do have time to reheat what was made on the weekend in the stove, oven or in the crockpot. My crockpot is my buddy. Would be lost without it. LOL

Today is a regular day. Looking forward to my turkey sandwich again. The little things I appreciate. I weighed this morning and I am still up. Whatever! Sticking with it. :)

See you guys soon!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi @RBXChas Happy New Year!

I know what you mean about tough holidays. Sigh...

Definitely do what works for you! I get it. Everybody needs to be on the path that works best for them. :) We hope to see you around.
    I do check in to the IF board once in a while too. I still do a 16:8 myself, as I think it has helped me be more successful on 5:2 and in general with my losses. So maybe I will see you on there or we will see you back on here again once in a while. B)