Weekly Post - 8.1.2018 - 14.1.2018

2»

Replies

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    @cdurston50523 I think @meghan509's post was spot on. I would add to lean towards nutritious food especially protein and veggies. They will keep you fuller without messing with your blood sugar and leave you feeling great the next day. I encourage you to experiment to find out what works best for you. As time goes on, the fast day get easier because the body adjusts and you know the best way for yourself to approach it. I try to do whatever makes me comfortable and does not break with the plan. Generally takes me two weeks to a month for the fast days to become second nature. If you have a bad fast day, learn from it and know that you can try again the next fast day. I would also recommend having some things you really enjoy lined up for the fast day, i.e. a good book, a special tea you like, a hot bath, a walk with you man, a good movie etc. Find non-caloric ways to treat yourself so that you have something to look forward to, something that will take your mind off of the fasting part of the day. Hope your day went well today!

@RBXChas - Wishing you well with IF! Will miss you around here but hope the keto will be a good change for you.

One thing we don't really talk about here regarding the fasting day is the other benefit which is it shrinks your stomach a bit. I find the regular days are easier because I don't require as much food. Easier to stick with my regular day calorie levels. Anyone else had a similar experience?
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,954 Member
    jknight001 wrote: »
    One thing we don't really talk about here regarding the fasting day is the other benefit which is it shrinks your stomach a bit. I find the regular days are easier because I don't require as much food. Easier to stick with my regular day calorie levels. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes! I have noticed this a lot! Good mention @jknight001 Honestly, just in general I have learned that I don't require as much food as I once thought I did. I have had some meals out that have been not so good or satisfying and I had thought to myself, jeez I am going to be hungry sooner rather than later. Nope, really wasn't hungry! Less food needed, less appetite. I do feel better eating less and eating more healthy if I can. If I overeat I can really feel miserable afterwards. Unfortunately...

Hope everybody is doing well. Today is a light day for me. I am still sitting at two pounds up from my low before the holidays. Stinks, but sticking to eating healthy and hoping for the best. Don't think that two pounds is going to magically fall off over night, especially since I am not going to make it to the gym tonight - so no extra calorie burn for me. I have a hair appointment after work. Saturday will be back to normal at the gym and a strength training and cardio week.

Our gym has been extra busy at night with the New Years Resolution peeps. LOL You can spot them a mile away. Lots of them like to work out side by side on machines, so they can chat or whatever. :p

Since it has been a while, I thought I would share a recipe with you all. I was planning on making this on a non light day as a dinner. For health reasons I try to avoid red meat as much as possible, so I will use ground turkey or ground chicken. I haven't calculated the calories yet myself in MFP, but thought it sounded yummy! Enjoy...

https://www.skinnytaste.com/stuffed-pepper-soup/#more-21628

See you all soon!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    @cdurston50523 Good Advice there - mostly I think the best Thing to remember is it gets easier every time.

@Meghan509 Aren’t the resolutioners so funny! I love to watch them but I do hope that some of them become regulars. We all were newbies once and some of us stayed. So I’m always hopeful but realistic. And it is funny to see some of them do everything except work out!

@RBXChas hey I will miss you quite a bit but definitely stay on the path that seems to be the best for you. However please don’t hesitate to come on over here if you want a nice encouraging word. Actively 5:2 or not, you are one of us!

@jknight001 Well I consider myself to be pretty successful with the 5:2 way of eating, that is one side effect that doesn’t really seem to have occurred for me. I do find it easier to get through my fast days but I am still as hungry as ever on my non-fast days. My stomach seems to stubbornly have remained it’s same size. I’m hoping that adaptation will occur, though.

———

So today’s the last day on the Fast Mimic Diet. An emergency took my mind off of things this morning so I didn’t weigh myself. But the weight was down about 2 pounds since I started this. I suppose that’s water weight but it is happy thing to see at any time. I’ll let you know tomorrow what the overall weight loss was.

Unlike most accounts I have found, my last day on this fast is the hardest one. I’m pretty hungry and unlike the other days I’m not finding it easy to just switch my mental focus. The only other side effect I have really had to deal with is a headache. It was only in the morning on day 3 and four but it has been omnipresent today.

Of course tomorrow is not exactly a normal eating day. The recommendation is to follow a very strict Mediterranean diet. That means much less protein than I usually partake also minimal animal products ( so pretty much vegan with fish and I don’t do fish). But I will get to eat a lot more food so I am happy that the FMD has come to an end.

So the question is will I do this again. I think so. It wasn’t particularly easy, but it really wasn’t all that difficult. The science is still out on all the potential positive effects - but I certainly don’t see how it does me any harm and it’s probably a little kick in the weight-loss shelf anyway. The real advantages – lower insulin levels cholesterol lowering etc. would not be seen until I had a blood work up anyway so I think I will continue to do it – probably every other or every third month – until I come up with a good reason not to. :-)

I am definitely looking forward to next week! It will be my first week at a maintenance level diet since I have lost the weight. So that will be continue my 5:2 but up my calories to about 1750 for a month and see what happens. That sounds likes so many calories!

I hope everybody had a good light day and I will let you know what the scale says tomorrow after the ‘fast’ is done. And if you have any questions let me know I’d be happy to fill you in on the experience.

• Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Good morning everybody!
    I weighed in this morning and I am down from my high of being up three pounds, from my all time low before the holidays. But still up a pound and change. This was a tough week of not a lot of exercise due to the bitter cold :'( and no gym last night, due to a hair appointment. My hair does look pretty. B)
    Diet wise it went well, ate what I was supposed to. Not going to beat myself up - no sense in that. The weight will come off if I stick to the plan, it always does. :)
    Tomorrow (Saturday) I am looking forward to getting back to my full week of gym and my mix of strength training and cardio for the week. For the newbies or those who want a recap, I do either weights or cardio - every other day, six days a week Saturday through Thursday. Starting with weights on the Sat, and ending with cardio on the Thu. I picked up a pair of weight lifting gloves recently at Marshalls, so I won't have to hopefully deal with as many caluses on my hands!
    Yesterday's light day went well. I drank A LOT of water and some green tea.

Glad the new plan is going well for you @ryenday! A two pound loss to start is awesome! Expecially when you really don't have much left to lose! Sorry about the headache you were having. I have read that adding a little salt to some water may help you. I know it may sound silly, but I have read this more than once. Even better would be a grind of some Himalayan pink salt. Are you familiar with it? See link below.

Take this link, with a grain of salt (pardon the pun) as it sounds like the next best thing since sliced bread, LOL but in any case since your headache may be from being dehydrated - adding some salt in some water may help you rehydrate and lessen it. Just my two cents. :smile:

https://fitlife.tv/12-incredible-things-that-happen-when-you-swap-table-salt-for-himalayan-sea-salt/

See you all soon! Have a great day!
  • ryenday
    @Meghan509

My electrolytes might have been out of whack but I had plenty of salt and drank lots of water. I adore himalayan sea salt and have a big container of it in my kitchen.

I’m done! Most interesting thing (that I read about but didn’t believe) I’m really really not very hungry today. I heated up some light day soup at lunch (had oatmeal and some chia crackers at breakfast) and ended up eating only about 1/3 my typical serving.

So Sunday when I started my scale read 151.9. This morning it read 148. Probably mostly water, but I’ll take it. The Fast wasn’t mostly about the weight loss, but it is nice to see.

So back to the regularly scheduled 5:2 and weight training today. I’ll FMD again in end of Feb beginning of March I think. Now to see if this weight rebounds when I start eating normally again!

Happy weekend all!!!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Whew I’m just back after spending 14hrs inside an arena! Nationals for figure skating are held here this year so today and tomorrow are filled with way to much sitting!!! The arena did not let anyone bring in food!!! So out went my snacks! Veggies & apples packed! :'(:s we were starving after a couple of hours and instead of getting the $12 burger :o we settled on a hot pretzel & peanuts! Ugh! Stopped to get a chicken burger on the way home ! Extra early start to tomorrow for much of the same... no exercise for 3 days!! Having fun though ...
    Good job everyone... nice losses Meghan and ryenday! Even if you think it’s just water....
  • ryenday
    Ok, Normal hunger and appetite returned by the end of the day yesterday, so any appetite suppressant effect of the FMV was minimal for me. Same thing for 5:2 so I should not be surprised. Even at maintenance and doing 5:2 I’m going to have to keep tight rein on my appetite in order to not gain weight.

It is not actually that I eat (or want to eat) tons and tons - I just want human size portions and fries with that, lol. For instance our favourite gyro place. If I ordered a gyro and fries there, I want to be able to eat it for lunch or dinner AND have enough calories for another meal that day. Unfortunately the gyro is 900 to 1200 calories (depending on whether I eat the pita or not). so with fries that is pretty much a whole day’s food. And that is NOT enough food for me for a whole days worth.

Very chilly today in Texas, but no wind. Since I don’t have to work ( first Saturday off for three weeks) I was thinking of walking (2 miles) to the goodwill store to get some exercise in. I have only a few clothes that fit well, and deserve a treat! But I don’t want to spend too much, because I think I’ll slowly end up one more size down in the long run.

Did I tell y’all what my goal weight ‘treat’ for myself is? I am going to go to the Master Taylor shop down the street and ask him to make me a pair of pants. Properly sized for my figure. :). I don’t think I have ever owned a properly fitting pair of pants. See I’m VERY curvy but have quite short legs. My waist is usually about 13 inches smaller than my hips, and I have some big, prominent hip bones. If they make off the rack clothing for my size and shape, I have never stumbled across it. Stretch pants (dressy and casual) fill my closet. So I thought it would be fun to own a pair of properly fitting trousers!

Ok, time to start the day! Happy weekend all!
  • jknight001
    Down 2lbs this week. One pound away from the pre-Christmas level. Things should get back to normal this week or next.

@Meghan509 Congrats on your loss. Looks like you are getting back to normal yourself! Did you make the Stuffed Pepper Soup? Did you like it!

@ryenday - Woohoo! You made it through FMD. You rock! That was pretty hard. So sorry you are still dealing with hunger. That must be really tough. I deal not with hunger for the most part but with cravings. My head, not my stomach is mostly to blame for this pickle got myself into. But what an accomplishment for you! Time to do some celebration now!

@mamainthekitchen - How cool to attend the Nationals. I bet that is fun.

@cdurston50523 - Checking in with you. How are things going?

Time for bed, y'all. Have a great day tomorrow.
  • sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    Hi! I'm new to the "community" and thought this was the best place to pop in as i've started the 5:2 last week. I lost 1.5 stone 19mths ago and put 2 stone back on
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,515 Member
    VICTORY! I finally got my pedometer app to sync with MFP! Seems silly, but I really wanted to have my steps counted. :)
  • cdurston50523
    cdurston50523 Posts: 28 Member
    Hi all thanks for the tips. I lost 2lb last week was hoping for more but it was my birthday weekend so back to it this week. Will keep you all updated going to fast tommorow.
  • jknight001
    @sjgold123 - Welcome! We are glad you have joined us. Feel free to post any questions you may have.