Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are some WOE more acceptable than others?

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2018
    vingogly wrote: »
    Further: you're not going to do keto for the rest of your life. You're dividing your life into a portion labeled I'm On My Keto Diet and I'm Eating Normally. If you lose your weight and going back to I'm Eating Normally means going back to the bad habits and eating styles that got you into trouble in the first place, guess what's going to happen?

Is this generally true? I get the feeling most keto practitioners do intend on eating that way permanently, although I'll admit my knowledge of keto is pretty limited.

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Thanks for all the thoughts everyone! The ethical standpoint of vegetarian/veganism is actually, embarrassingly, completely honestly, something I had forgotten. Of the IRL people I know who eat in those styles only one does so because she can’t stand the texture of meat. Not a love for the animal but just a dislike of meat. The rest do it for “health”.

I still don’t think that having a moral standpoint on it should make it “more ok” and less questioned than Keto eating. Not saying either should be questioned. It just feels like there is a mad rush to be the first person the tell them that they don’t have to eat that way instead of actually helping them.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    Further: you're not going to do keto for the rest of your life. You're dividing your life into a portion labeled I'm On My Keto Diet and I'm Eating Normally. If you lose your weight and going back to I'm Eating Normally means going back to the bad habits and eating styles that got you into trouble in the first place, guess what's going to happen?

Is this generally true? I get the feeling most keto practitioners do intend on eating that way permanently, although I'll admit my knowledge of keto is pretty limited.

In my experience it's a mixed bag. I've seen some people who absolutely intend on eating that way forever, but I've also seen plenty of posters say they are doing keto until they hit goal weight, then will slowly add carbs back in.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE WHO ARE VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN AREN'T DOING IT TO LOSE WEIGHT!

Seriously. We do it because we love animals, or it's our religion, or it's our beliefs, or we don't like the taste of meat and so on... Anyone who becomes a vegetarian for weight loss doesn't last, or they stop losing weight when they realize how many chips, cookies and candies are meatless.

And yes, if you posted to a vegetarian that they should eat some steak because they are sluggish, you deserve to be lambasted. That would be like me telling you that if you were too lazy to go to the grocery store that your dog or cat was viable meat for you to eat. I love cows and dogs equally when it comes to food, so yes, I'd be plenty offended. For someone who eats that way for religious reasons, your advice would be blasphemous.

Also, vegetarians take a lot of crap for how they eat. They don't need any more crap.

If your diet works for you, wonderful. Keep eating like that. Be healthy and happy.

Keto is basically the hippest newest thing for people. You'll find lots of information on it and lots of friends. And in a year or so, the next newest thing will hit the forums and the weight loss community and then you can try that too if you like. In the 90's they did it in Atkins, now there is keto, something else will come along. Either way, vegetarianism doesn't fall into this category. People have been refusing meat for centuries, not years. It's not going away.

I was not saying that is how I react to other people’s food choices. It was a hypothetical.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Thanks for all the thoughts everyone! The ethical standpoint of vegetarian/veganism is actually, embarrassingly, completely honestly, something I had forgotten. Of the IRL people I know who eat in those styles only one does so because she can’t stand the texture of meat. Not a love for the animal but just a dislike of meat. The rest do it for “health”.

I still don’t think that having a moral standpoint on it should make it “more ok” and less questioned than Keto eating. Not saying either should be questioned. It just feels like there is a mad rush to be the first person the tell them that they don’t have to eat that way instead of actually helping them.
    No, it's just a mad rush to be the person to convince them :D
    Do you really think NOT telling them that they don't have to if they don't want to, is helping?
  • fuzzylop72
    edited January 2018

It doesn't make it less questioned, but some responses are just a little silly (like the one given in the OP). In certain contexts, there will be a lot of pushback on posts involving veganism.

- any claims that can't be substantiated via peer-reviewed science will get some pushback

- becoming vegan due to netflix documentaries gets pushback

- certain forms of veganism get, at very least, mild pushback (eg: raw vegans get some since it can be healthy, but you have to take great care with some things, especially when it comes to protein levels and meeting lysine requirements, 80-10-10 gets pushback due to too low levels of dietary fat and protein, etc).

From a pure dietary standpoint, veganism gets challenged in the same sorts of ways that keto does. It's a little different, though, because veganism doesn't carry with it some sort of implied macro preference. It's somewhat associated with higher than average carb levels, but you can be a lower carb vegan if you want, too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

It doesn't make it less questioned, but some responses are just a little silly (like the one given in the OP). In certain contexts, there will be a lot of pushback on posts involving veganism.

- any claims that can't be substantiated via peer-reviewed science will get some pushback

- becoming vegan due to netflix documentaries gets pushback

- certain forms of veganism get, at very least, mild pushback (eg: raw vegans get some since it can be healthy, but you have to take great care with some things, especially when it comes to protein levels and meeting lysine requirements, 80-10-10 gets pushback due to too low levels of dietary fat and protein, etc).

From a pure dietary standpoint, veganism gets challenged in the same sorts of ways that keto does. It's a little different, though, because veganism doesn't carry with it some sort of implied macro preference. It's somewhat associated with higher than average carb levels, but you can be a lower carb vegan if you want, too.

Raw veganism gets questioned a LOT more than keto, IMO (and. also IMO, rightly so), and so do low protein forms of veganism.
  • fuzzylop72
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Raw veganism gets questioned a LOT more than keto, IMO (and. also IMO, rightly so), and so do low protein forms of veganism.

You can certainly be healthy on a raw vegan diet, but there are certain issues you have to contend with and many aren't doing things like sprouting pulses. Low protein veganism, on the other hand, I don't think you can make any sort of evidence based case for (by low, I mean sub-20% of calories from protein).