Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are some WOE more acceptable than others?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I invite others to read the thread and tell me what I am missing.

Why? You interpreted it differently. Isn't that enough said?

A forum thread really isn't a piece of abstract art that can be interpreted differently and everyone is right because there's no right or wrong interpretations. You could just ask Kommodevaran what she meant and that's reality.

Forum posts can't be interpreted differently?
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    ryenday wrote: »
    K
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Is this generally true? I get the feeling most keto practitioners do intend on eating that way permanently, although I'll admit my knowledge of keto is pretty limited.

And most "diets" fail in maintenance because the lifestyle limitations aren't sustainable for the long haul. They may well intend to eat that way permanently - good luck to them with that.

All the people flooding the gyms this month intend to keep exercising forever, and almost all of them will be gone by end of next month.

But isn’t sustainablility an individual thing, not one size fits all?

I’ll get the woo storm for this but daily calorie restriction to a CICO determined level was not sustainable for me. It meant less than 1500 calories a day as maintenance and constant hangry. So I explored some WOE’s to see what might make a sustainable lifetime eating plan for me that would not have me gain weight but also would not turn me into Ms. Hangry.

I found a WOE that works for me. I don’t evangelize it, nor do I expect it would work for the next person. I do think it is worth trying. And it isn’t Keto, I like my potatoes too much ;) but I sure think those looking for their individual sustainable path should try Keto if it sounds like a match for them. And I hope experienced Keto-ers see their threads with questions and help.

Because I do not think that a drive by reply along the lines of “you don’t need to do ‘x’ to lose weight” helps anyone. Or is supportive. Or even is common courtesy. IM(worthless)O it is mocking, ridiculing, shaming etc type of response.

YMMV.

Are you saying that the way you've chosen to eat enables you to eat more than the 1500 calories you've determined as your maintenance level, and still lose weight?

I now eat approx 1800 most days maintenance. But I do two 500 days to make up the caloric difference. Not denying cico. Just saying eating a DAILY calorie allotment determined by CICO without something more (WOE) was a quick road to not sustainable for me personally. Less than 1500 calories everyday makes for an awful Ms. Hangry for me.

Obviously what I find sustainable may not be for the next person and vise versa.

Less than 1500 makes you awefully hangry... so you go WAY below 1500 for two days?

Yes. Hangry 2 days (that I get to schedule and plan) and not Hangry 5 days works better for me than hangry 7 days a week.

But that is just what is sustainable for ME, I’m not evangelizing it.

My point is when it comes to what is sustainable: YMMV.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    I could interpret your post as insulting, but that would be factually incorrect.

So? Obviously if there are two interpretations one will be incorrect, that doesn't mean there weren't two.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    K
    Is this generally true? I get the feeling most keto practitioners do intend on eating that way permanently, although I'll admit my knowledge of keto is pretty limited.

And most "diets" fail in maintenance because the lifestyle limitations aren't sustainable for the long haul. They may well intend to eat that way permanently - good luck to them with that.

All the people flooding the gyms this month intend to keep exercising forever, and almost all of them will be gone by end of next month.

I’ll get the woo storm for this but daily calorie restriction to a CICO determined level was not sustainable for me. It meant less than 1500 calories a day as maintenance and constant hangry. So I explored some WOE’s to see what might make a sustainable lifetime eating plan for me that would not have me gain weight but also would not turn me into Ms. Hangry.

I found a WOE that works for me. I don’t evangelize it, nor do I expect it would work for the next person. I do think it is worth trying. And it isn’t Keto, I like my potatoes too much ;) but I sure think those looking for their individual sustainable path should try Keto if it sounds like a match for them. And I hope experienced Keto-ers see their threads with questions and help.

Because I do not think that a drive by reply along the lines of “you don’t need to do ‘x’ to lose weight” helps anyone. Or is supportive. Or even is common courtesy. IM(worthless)O it is mocking, ridiculing, shaming etc type of response.

YMMV.

Are you saying that the way you've chosen to eat enables you to eat more than the 1500 calories you've determined as your maintenance level, and still lose weight?

I now eat approx 1800 most days maintenance. But I do two 500 days to make up the caloric difference. Not denying cico. Just saying eating a DAILY calorie allotment determined by CICO without something more (WOE) was a quick road to not sustainable for me personally. Less than 1500 calories everyday makes for an awful Ms. Hangry for me.

Obviously what I find sustainable may not be for the next person and vise versa.

Less than 1500 makes you awefully hangry... so you go WAY below 1500 for two days?

Yes. Hangry 2 days (that I get to schedule and plan) and not Hangry 5 days works better for me than hangry 7 days a week.

I totally get this approach. I do similar in that I eat low calories on workdays and considerably more (sometimes more than twice as much) on the weekends. Having the weekends to look forward to helps me not be hangry during the week.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    K

YMMV.

I totally get this approach. I do similar in that I eat low calories on workdays and considerably more (sometimes more than twice as much) on the weekends. Having the weekends to look forward to helps me not be hangry during the week.

Yes, so much! I wasn’t going to bother with getting into the fine points on this thread but because I know I get to eat like a normal human being on those other days I don’t feel as bad on the 500 days as I do if I have an everyday unending slog of feeling underfed and hungry.

I’d say I’m hungry in the two 500 calorie days but I’ve mostly gotten rid of the angry part. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I could interpret your post as insulting, but that would be factually incorrect.

So? Obviously if there are two interpretations one will be incorrect, that doesn't mean there weren't two.

Which is why "You could just ask Kommodeveran". Instead of assuming the worst, going with it, and shouting it around in half a dozen other threads as if it's the truth.

I think this is by far the best strategy.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    edited January 2018
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    @Quieau I have been keto (mostly) for going on 3 years. I have had about a 10 lb fluctuation after losing my weight (not 100+ lbs) but it continues to work best for me.

Thanks for your response! So if you don't mind my asking: how many pounds did you lose (gross and net)? And do you cycle or stay keto all the time? And finally, when you say it works best for you ... compared to which? What other ones were tried and can be compared?

I ask because the general consensus is that it "works" because of the net calorie restriction, not because of the specific carb macro restriction (1000 calories intake will make you lose weight like crazy regardless of macros; I know someone claiming Keto is the only way to lose weight, but she's eating 800-900 calories a day on Keto). And the concern that the weight lost is a lot of water and muscle (compared with other less restrictive WOE).

So do you track body composition, or just weight on a scale? And what others diets were tried for comparison? Do you exercise? What type and how much?

I'm not asking to challenge you at all; I'm trying to learn and the info is VERY sparse beyond, "Wow! Keto works!" and "Wow, Keto sucks!" ... thanks!

• Need2Exerc1se

Which is why "You could just ask Kommodeveran". Instead of assuming the worst, going with it, and shouting it around in half a dozen other threads as if it's the truth.

Agree. That does seem better than assuming either way or asking for confirmation of assumptions.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Quieau wrote: »
    @Quieau I have been keto (mostly) for going on 3 years. I have had about a 10 lb fluctuation after losing my weight (not 100+ lbs) but it continues to work best for me.

Thanks for your response! So if you don't mind my asking: how many pounds did you lose (gross and net)? And do you cycle or stay keto all the time? And finally, when you say it works best for you ... compared to which? What other ones were tried and can be compared?

I ask because the general consensus is that it "works" because of the net calorie restriction, not because of the specific carb macro restriction (1000 calories intake will make you lose weight like crazy regardless of macros; I know someone claiming Keto is the only way to lose weight, but she's eating 800-900 calories a day on Keto). And the concern that the weight lost is a lot of water and muscle (compared with other less restrictive WOE).

So do you track body composition, or just weight on a scale? And what others diets were tried for comparison? Do you exercise? What type and how much?

I'm not asking to challenge you at all; I'm trying to learn and the info is VERY sparse beyond, "Wow! Keto works!" and "Wow, Keto sucks!" ... thanks!

I lost about 40 lbs in around 5 months. I regained about 10 lbs when my health issues flared up and I was eating too much as I tried to raise my carb level a bit. I lost that 10 again but about 5 have crept back on this winter.

I maintained for about 2 years now.

I stay mostly keto. While losing it was all keto. When I maintain well, I am keto. When my carbs hit 50 g or so, I start gaining. It triggers my appetite. Plus I have reactive hypoglycaemia so when I rely on carbs for fuel, I experience fatigue, lightheadedness, shaking and a lot of hunger every 2-3 hours after eating. If I keep carbs quite low, it never happens and it makes eating less easier.

For most of my adult life I followed moderation. I was slowly gaining weight doing that. About 25 lbs in 20 years.

I lost all of that extra weight once when I followed Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet. I felt good and lost weight. In hind site, it was low carb. I still remember starting maintenance. I'll just have the one muffin. Pfft. Increasing carbs = weight gain for me. I regained my weight.

Once I developed insulin resistance, I gained another 15 lbs in just over a year while failing at trying to lose weight with moderation. I can't handle moderate carbs and my health was suffering.

I switched to keto to address my IR and other health issues. It worked. It became easy so I will stay with it.

Keto works for weight loss due to calorie restriction. Some people with IR, like me, may lose slightly faster on aLCHF diet but it is not a large difference. For those without metabolic problems, I have not seen anything that shows a LCHF has an edge over regular diets. Some might be less hungry eating keto, but for healthy people, that is the only weight loss benefit.

Keto is fairly muscle sparing after the first few days, but a really low calorie diet is not smart. When I lost, without exercise, I was eating about 1500kcal a day.
  • Poweredbycoffee06
    Poweredbycoffee06 Posts: 39 Member
    Bahaha I got wooed... I'm taking it as a woo hoo good for you for finding a sustainable plan for yourself.

Lol. If it is a keto thread, you can expects woos.

Oh, I didn't expect anything less.