With access only to a microwave and mini-fridge, what essentials should I be buying to gain weight?

I'm underweight 5'9 and 119Lbs and in my current living situation I only have access to a mini-fridge and a microwave, so a lot of my money is being wasted on fast food and restaurants because I’m unsure what to buy at the supermarket with the appliances I currently have access to…What supermarket essentials should I buy to gain weight with just those two appliances at my disposal? Right now the only thing I have from the supermarket is a gallon of water and a jar of peanut butter….I cannot improvise and buy a hot plate, blender, or any other appliance, I can only make do with what I have for the moment….

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Start with peanut butter. Add various other nut butters if you want variety. Put real butter and greek yogurt in the little fridge. Eggs, too. Bread just needs shelf space. Buy canned meats in small containers so you can store those without freezing or refrigerating. Otherwise there's lots of canned foods you can heat in the microwave.
  • FatnFitt
    FatnFitt Posts: 5 Member
    Start with peanut butter. Add various other nut butters if you want variety. Put real butter and greek yogurt in the little fridge. Eggs, too. Bread just needs shelf space. Buy canned meats in small containers so you can store those without freezing or refrigerating. Otherwise there's lots of canned foods you can heat in the microwave.

Ok, sounds good. The eggs, however might not work I have no way to cook them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    FatnFitt wrote: »

Ok, sounds good. The eggs, however might not work I have no way to cook them.

You said you have a microwave. I cook eggs in the microwave on a daily basis. Crack eggs into bowl, stir up, cover, put in microwave for about 1:30 (your time may vary). Done.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Cheese is small. You can fit a lot of cheese in a mini-fridge. It's also good microwaved with eggs, so win-win. And.... it's cheese.
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2018
    Cheese is small. You can fit a lot of cheese in a mini-fridge. It's also good microwaved with eggs, so win-win. And.... it's cheese.

Excellent call. Cheese is also calorie dense, great weight gaining food. Bonus points because it tastes awesome. We just bought some "steakhouse cheddar" which tastes like cheddar and grilled onions - mind-bogglingly delicious!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I had this situation for a while. I ended up grocery shopping multiple times a week to restock as needed. Or, you'll have to rely more on dry goods. It's up to you on that. These were my essentials.

Fridge
    high fat meats - salami, pepperoni, sausage
    full fat cheese
    butter
    mayo
    vegetables

Other
    burrito tortillas
    canned tuna, chicken, salmon
    canned soup (chunky variety is better for calories)
    instant rice
    instant oatmeal
    canned beans
    canned chili
    potatoes
    nuts
    beef jerky
    peanut butter
    crackers
    clif builder bars
    granola
    powdered milk
    protein powder
    apples, bananas, oranges
    spices

Easy meals -
    burrito tortilla, canned tuna, mayo, cheese, veggie, side of crackers and banana
    microwave potato, topped with canned chili, cheese, butter and a vegetable
    instant rice with butter, canned beans, chicken, cheese, veggie
    instant oatmeal, protein powder, nuts, fruit
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Eat as normal and drink lots of milk and maybe protein. Start with a liter and adjust to how much you gain and feel.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    We just bought some "steakhouse cheddar" which tastes like cheddar and grilled onions - mind-bogglingly delicious!

this is a Thing??? *runs to the search engine*
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    We just bought some "steakhouse cheddar" which tastes like cheddar and grilled onions - mind-bogglingly delicious!

this is a Thing??? *runs to the search engine*

Found it in the service deli at Safeway. Made by Dietz & Watson. Unbelievably good.

[ETA:] It's actually called "Steakhouse Onion Cheddar".
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    IF you're trying to gain, there's nothing wrong with the Mcdonald's dollar menu.

• THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    You can do some overnight oats in a jar:

2/3 cup almond milk
    3/4 oatmeal
    1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
    1 scoop of whey protein

Shake, fridge it and next morning it's a great pre workout snack.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Peanut butter, ice cream, & pasteries are my goto.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Can u add a decent toaster oven?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    A lot of produce can sit out on the counter--avocados would be especially helpful for weight gaining. Fruit can be dipped into Nutella or assorted nut butters; veggies can be eaten raw with a balsamic vinaigrette on the counter or a bit of ranch dressing from the fridge.

Also, a quart of heavy cream will take up little space in the fridge and add a crap-ton of calories. Before I started tracking calories, I loved adding a significant amount of heavy cream to my oatmeal and tomato soup (both of which can be stored at room temp and then microwaved). OOPS. But for your situation it would be perfect. You can add raisins or dried blueberries or cranberries to the oatmeal for an even bigger calorie boost, and olive oil to the tomato soup.

Get a baguette or whatever bread you like and a bottle of decentish olive oil; crack some pepper and salt into the olive oil (and grated parmesan, too, if you have it) and dip the bread into the olive oil. All of this can be on the counter (the cheese you might want to buy in small quantities if you will be leaving it out). You can also do bread and jam--the jam can sit out if you are going through the jar quickly. Butter can sit out too, but again, go through it quickly.
  • FatnFitt
    FatnFitt Posts: 5 Member
    Wow, thank you all for the recommendations...keep 'em coming this is very insightful.
    Can u add a decent toaster oven?
    I can't unfortunately.