Opinions on advice I got

Hello everyone! I am out to gain muscle, but I am primarily worried about just being a healthy person over all. But I run a kayak shop and I had a customer today I ended up chatting with for a minute who turned out to be a body builder, I told him it was a lot hard to get calories in than I thought and he told me “EAT ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING. EAT A LOT OF DONUTS” I understand the high calorie intake but my goodness.. i am worried about my health at the end of the day.
Any thoughts on this??

Replies

• livefitdelve
    livefitdelve Posts: 23 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If all you ate was donuts it wouldn't be healthy, but if most of your food is lean protein, good fats, fruit, and vegetables there's no harm in eating whatever you want to fill out the remaining calories in your goal.

Okay, fair enough. Makes more sense, thank you :)
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    As long as you're getting enough protein and fibre, and the rest of the healthy stuff, it probably won't do you any harm
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    ^^^ I second the above. You want to eat at a surplus but if you're looking to stay healthy while bulking, consume mostly lean protein and veggies. But eat all the donuts too! Just not as your main nutritional intake LOL
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Yuo don't get bonus points for eating more nutrients than you need, really. Once those needs are met, have at it.
  • livefitdelve
    I mean I do understand this.. but to eat ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING lol just surprised hearing someone actually say this.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    I mean I do understand this.. but to eat ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING lol just surprised hearing someone actually say this.

In your discussion, did you tell him that general health is one of your goals? Did he give you any idea what his priorities are? Some guys think as long as you get ripped, or spend a lot of time in the gym, everything's good. Some people don't worry about health when they are younger. It's also possible this guy likes to be dramatic to make a point. Or he assumed you were having trouble eating enough cals because you were only eating virtuous foods, so he was trying to highlight that you don't have to avoid high cal treat foods.

Personally, I would choose ice cream and peanut butter rather than doughnuts though :smiley:
  • livefitdelve
    kimny72 wrote: »

In your discussion, did you tell him that general health is one of your goals? Did he give you any idea what his priorities are? Some guys think as long as you get ripped, or spend a lot of time in the gym, everything's good. Some people don't worry about health when they are younger. It's also possible this guy likes to be dramatic to make a point. Or he assumed you were having trouble eating enough cals because you were only eating virtuous foods, so he was trying to highlight that you don't have to avoid high cal treat foods.

Personally, I would choose ice cream and peanut butter rather than doughnuts though :smiley:

Yeah, I told him I wanted to gain weight but still be overall healthy. And sure enough... it goes into just worry about getting calories in. Lol just kind of broscience pretty much.

But honestly 10000% ice cream alll day :)

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Well, the "old school" method of gaining weight is drinking a GOMAD - gallon of whole milk a day - on top of your maintenance level of food intake.

That's about 2400 extra cals a day - 30% carbs, 49% fat and 21% protein, which is a reasonably "healthy" macro.

You can gain about 25-30# of weight in a month doing this. You will also get fat and may suffer bloating and digestive issues but, if you are lifting heavy and progressively, you will also get stronger and gain muscle.

If you don't want to gain that much weight that fast, just cut back on the amount of milk accordingly.

There are a lot of articles on the Net about GOMAD - what to do and not do. Just do a Google search to find them.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    If you want to gain weight in a healthy way

1. You need a comprehensive training program(ideally progressive weight lifting but not neglecting aerobic capacity maintenance)
    2. You need to fuel your training... and your body.... and your desired gains. For the first two, quality matters. If you're feeding the first two with quality protein and fiber and carbs, the third can be donuts or twinkies etc.

Classic anecdotes from the last Olympics reference what Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt ate during competition(you can look them up if you wish) The caveat, is that if you want to eat like them... You need to train like them.