Want to get cut and lose typical male waist

amatevosian
amatevosian Posts: 1 Member
Hey folks,

I am 47 years old but actually quite fit for my age. However, I've the usual problematic area around my waist where I'd like to lose that tire. It's not huge but it's definitely there. I don't eat badly, exercise every other day at the gym or go mountain biking, but I can't seem to get rid of this damned thing.

I'm 5'6, 138 lbs or so. I'm skinny but just have that issue. I know people talk about calorie deficits for getting rid of belly fat and getting a six pack, but honestly, I'm not sure eating less will be healthy for me.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Hey,

I'm 47 and decided in Xmas 2016 that I wanted a six pack by my birthday that April. (I'm a couple of inches taller (5'9) but was a bit skinny-fat). I started doing bodyweight lifting exercises and slowly transitioned to dumbells whilst reducing calories slowly but surely. Also 2 cardio sessions per week - approx.

I started out at 170lbs just after Dec 28th 2016 - waist measurement 32.5". I got down to 158lbs by first week in April 2016 with a waist of 30.75". Abs had been showing for a couple of weeks but at that weight they were nicely defined.

Did it all with MFP and CICO. High protein, lifting and cardio.

Am now bulking to put on more muscle - planning to start a cut about 6-8 weeks before this year's birthday. Am back up to 168lbs now with a waist of 32" - but half of abs still showing (not as ripped though - bit of fluff).

I heartily recommend lifting to pack on some muscle and help skim off the fat. Stronglifts 5x5 should knock you in shape and you'll notice a difference in a couple of months. If you want to do bodyweight first, look at Darebee's 30 Days of Strength program.

Best of luck old timer :-)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you want to be leaner then either you have to lose weight or you have to change your body composition.
    Don't focus on "belly fat" - it's just fat and you happen to store yours around your middle.
    As an analogy the fuel in your car's tank is the same fuel whether it's in the middle of your tank or not....

Options:
    Lose weight to lose the fat. You are quite light already but if you are fairly lean elsewhere (pictures would help!) then a few pounds can make a big visual difference.
    Or
    Gain muscle, lose fat (over the long term).

Methods:
    Cut/bulk cycles.
    Or
    Recomp.

Both methods involve dedicated weight/strength/resistance training and are going to be pretty ineffective without.