Faster cardio or not, what’s your opinion!

Personally I think fasted cardio is best I feel a burn more calories doing fasted compared to when eaten.

What’s your opinions !

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I like fasted as well. I HATE working out on a full stomach. I can't workout if I am starving though so I prefer to do it before I am too hungry and have no energy lol.
  • KatiieT96
    KatiieT96 Posts: 32 Member
    I only prefer faster cardio because I normally skip breakfast or am up quite early. I don’t burn any extra calories but I find that it sets me up for the day and making healthier food choices
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't like it.. I feel hungry and weak and my performance is down.

Same with me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    speakman92 wrote: »
    Personally I think fasted cardio is best I feel a burn more calories doing fasted compared to when eaten.

Physiologically it makes absolutely no difference to either net calorie consumption or energy source balance.

It can help adaptation for endurance training, improving ability to draw from less readily available sources when training or competing for protracted periods.

In terms of comfort, I'm generally happy training fasted up to 90 minutes/ 10 miles. If I'm going longer I'll probably fuel beforehand.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Since I do mine very early in the morning I do mine fasted.

However its dependent on the length of my cardio secession or what I am training for specially and time of day I do my training..
  • speakman92
    speakman92 Posts: 12 Member
    Yeah seems alot of it depends on lifestyle and environment. I tend to wake up at about 7 every morning and do 20 min run on treadmill before I go about my day to day life just gives me a positive start to my day
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited January 2018
    I think preference is the most important factor. A cardio session burns whatever it burns and is generally very good for you. So whatever gets you there and makes it the most enjoyable is the best approach for you.

Still, there has been some evidence that working out in a fasted state has some effect. Skipping over the breathy internet articles, I point to this peer-reviewed study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20837645

The study does show a "fat burning" effect of fasted cardo. Take it with a grain of salt since it was only a short term study with a small number of participants. You can do the experiment on yourself, of course. Try working out in the morning for a month and see if some magic result happens!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    If I did fasted cardio, I could not go as intense or as long. so if calories burned is your goal, it would not be ideal, nor would it be ideal if you are training for an endurance event, in which you usually consume calories during the event.

If you think you will burn more fat, you may during the activity, but if you consume the same amount of calories in a day, you will probably end up burning less, as you wont be able to burn as many or go for as long. If you eat exercise cals back, you will be able to eat more unfasted, as you burn more, but for fat loss, there would be no or unnoticeable amount of difference.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    I workout fasted just because I need to get my work out in before work and I don't have time for breakfast. At weekends I might go before breakfast I might go after. As others have said its mostly about preference and lifestyle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    I like fasted as well. I HATE working out on a full stomach. I can't workout if I am starving though so I prefer to do it before I am too hungry and have no energy lol.

If you eat 4 hours before your cardio, your stomach shouldn't be full, not would it be considered fasted cardio. Unfasted cardio does not mean you do cardio right after you eat, it just doesn't follow a fast as in 8+ hours of not eating.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    speakman92 wrote: »

What’s your opinions !

That's just a feeling.
    If you ran/cycled/rowed further fasted than you did when fed then you would burn more.
    Same distance/power/intensity would be same calories burned and probably very little difference in fuel substrate used as that's primarily down to the intensity of the exercise not the contents of your stomach.

Make the choice that fits your schedule and helps you perform the best.

For me anything up to 2hrs of cardio just fits in my normal day and eating routine, over that I need to start thinking about fuelling.

Doing some fasted training actually made me better at fasted training though. But that's not really significant for most people.
  • risainternet
    risainternet Posts: 1 Member
    I love fasted cardio. I have been doing intermittent fasting for the past few months and feel great. I think people ought to just do what works for them, and fasted cardio works for me!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    As others have said, it makes pretty much no difference in results. Whichever you prefer.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    "Faster" cardio? LOL yeah I'm all in on that. The sooner it's over the better! :p