Faster cardio or not, what’s your opinion!

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YEP!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fasted, not fasted.. It really does not make a huge difference. I'd typically like to at the very least sip some BCAA's while doing my cardio.

BCAAs dont really help.
  • tripleformfitness
    Options
    Do what works for you. You know the opinions are going to be all over the board on SS Cardio, VS Fasted SS Cardio, VS HIIT. If you're seeing results, do it. I prefer fasted steady state cardio first thing in the morning after a cup of coffee while sipping my BCAAs. If it works for you, nobody else's opinions matter because there are benefits to all cardio.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. You know the opinions are going to be all over the board on SS Cardio, VS Fasted SS Cardio, VS HIIT. If you're seeing results, do it. I prefer fasted steady state cardio first thing in the morning after a cup of coffee while sipping my BCAAs. If it works for you, nobody else's opinions matter because there are benefits to all cardio.

I disagree that it doesn't matter. some training methods may align better with your goals then what you are doing. so what you are doing may work, but there may be an even better way of achieving your goals. If it helps you stick with it and you enjoy it the way you do it, that matters more, as a less efficient training method, is better than not training at all.

Why BCAA's, what purpose other then something to spend your money on when it isnt shown to help? unless it is a mental thing and that by having it makes you think it is helping, then I guess it works, even though it doesn't.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    The only time I fast is when I'm asleep.

If I did fasted cardio, I would pass out...and die. That might just be a me thing.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I prefer No cardio hehehe and I agree with most people here, BCAA's are useless. Alan Aragon made scientific research on it and it basically does nothing and in some cases, people even lost muscles with BCAA's (link for reference: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-016-0128-9 )
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There are conditions and protocols that use fasted cardio to increase fat metabolism however they are pointless for 99% of the general population. Have a read of Lyle McDonalds, stubborn fat protocols.
  • GainsLevelIncreased
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Fasted, not fasted.. It really does not make a huge difference. I'd typically like to at the very least sip some BCAA's while doing my cardio.

BCAAs dont really help.

I mean you could take straight Leucine, which helps maintain muscle mass. No one really wants to sacrifice muscle mass, really do cardio to minimize body fat. So I would recommend at least taking 1 to 2 servings of Leucine while doing cardio.

Cardio in an of itself is not going to catabolize your muscles unless you are not fueling yourself enough or getting enough protein (Too large of a deficit and inadequate protein) or not doing proper strength training.

No need to major in the minors.

BCAA's or just Leucine will not hurt, and the risk vs reward factor is on its side. I mean cardio for me is a must, 4 days a week, 130 minutes, always after my weight training. So my glycogen levels are most likely fully depleted after an hour push, pull, or legs workout. So I really believe that it's a great idea to supplement with Leucine or a BCAA product, to be on the safe side. This is a muscle building forum, so the goal is to make gains.

• GainsLevelIncreased
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

BCAAs dont really help.

I mean you could take straight Leucine, which helps maintain muscle mass. No one really wants to sacrifice muscle mass, really do cardio to minimize body fat. So I would recommend at least taking 1 to 2 servings of Leucine while doing cardio.

Cardio in an of itself is not going to catabolize your muscles unless you are not fueling yourself enough or getting enough protein (Too large of a deficit and inadequate protein) or not doing proper strength training.

No need to major in the minors.

BCAA's or just Leucine will not hurt, and the risk vs reward factor is on its side. I mean cardio for me is a must, 4 days a week, 130 minutes, always after my weight training. So my glycogen levels are most likely fully depleted after an hour push, pull, or legs workout. So I really believe that it's a great idea to supplement with Leucine or a BCAA product, to be on the safe side. This is a muscle building forum, so the goal is to make gains.

An hour of strength training isn't going to put any significant dent in your glycogen stores. That's just a broscience myth from bodybuilders who don't like cardio!

Two hours of intense cardio yes, an hour of strength training, absolutely not.

If you have ever hit the wall (running) or bonked (cycling) you would know all about it - it's unmistakable.

I eat very light before going to the gym, normally a PB&J sandwich with 1.5 scoops of my pre workout. I do a push, pull, legs. So I'm burning tons of calories.. I go heavy on my first exercise for each body part, normally in the 4-6 rep range, with 2-3 minutes between sets. After the first exercise of each body part, its fast rest periods, 30-45 seconds, in the higher rep range, 10-12 sometimes 12-15. Then after my hour workout, 30 minutes of HIIT. I burn close to 600 calories every time I step in the gym, and I consume about 3,300 calories a day.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    The only time I do fasted cardio is in the summer when I primarily ride in the early morning during the week to beat the heat...then I have breakfast pretty much right after.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There are conditions and protocols that use fasted cardio to increase fat metabolism however they are pointless for 99% of the general population. Have a read of Lyle McDonalds, stubborn fat protocols.

@trigden1991 Are we talking it makes fat loss more efficient/faster or it can actually have an effect on alpha-receptor stubborn fat in very lean individuals? I think I may have to give his book a read just, even just for more knowledge.